July 2016 DC Bar (UBE)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
styr

New

Re: July 2016 DC Bar (UBE)

Postby styr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 pm

The ATL story for July barely scratches the surface. To be fair, it was more like 2 hours late instead of 3. I can't go into much detail yet, but many rules were broken and inconsistent directions given. The MBE also ran about an hour late.

Still, looking at February stories, maybe this time wasn't quite as bad for July. There was new management, and they acted as if they had no idea 700+ examinees were going to show up, despite the letters that said management sent to 700+ examinees.

cho8583

New

Postby cho8583 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 pm

styr wrote:The ATL story for July barely scratches the surface. To be fair, it was more like 2 hours late instead of 3. I can't go into much detail yet, but many rules were broken and inconsistent directions given. The MBE also ran about an hour late.

Still, looking at February stories, maybe this time wasn't quite as bad for July. There was new management, and they acted as if they had no idea 700+ examinees were going to show up, despite the letters that said management sent to 700+ examinees.

Would you mind to share the atmosphere this time? It seems to me that there were also management issue with 700+ examinees around :(

styr

New

Postby styr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 am

cho8583 wrote:Would you mind to share the atmosphere this time? It seems to me that there were also management issue with 700+ examinees around :(

Do you mean in February vs. July? I only sat for July, as my first bar exam ever. I hope it's my last.

I took it in stride, as my years of legal education and law-related jobs have given me a high tolerance for this type of BS. Other people were noticeably flustered. I did not hear much in the way of vocal protests and rabblerousing, surprisingly, which is what was reported in February, also understandable under those circumstances. The 700+ examinees were generally well behaved in July, even if they were understandably frustrated.

cho8583

New

Postby cho8583 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:40 am

styr wrote:
cho8583 wrote:Would you mind to share the atmosphere this time? It seems to me that there were also management issue with 700+ examinees around :(

Do you mean in February vs. July? I only sat for July, as my first bar exam ever. I hope it's my last.

I took it in stride, as my years of legal education and law-related jobs have given me a high tolerance for this type of BS. Other people were noticeably flustered. I did not hear much in the way of vocal protests and rabblerousing, surprisingly, which is what was reported in February, also understandable under those circumstances. The 700+ examinees were generally well behaved in July, even if they were understandably frustrated.

Thanks for sharing. So 700+ ppl actually did show up for the DC bar, which is unbelievable! Im sure you did great tho!

styr

New

Postby styr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:54 am

cho8583 wrote:Thanks for sharing. So 700+ ppl actually did show up for the DC bar, which is unbelievable!

I didn't get to count exactly, but there were lots, taking up a lot of space. There were also some mysterious empty seats and missing numbers. I think the people in charge said it was at least twice as many as they had ever tested before.

texas2dclawchick

New

Postby texas2dclawchick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:26 am

So I ended up deferring the bar exam. After failing NY twice I just couldn't bring myself to mentally prepare again so soon for a UBE. I'm definitely taking DC in February and I want to start early. Do you guys have any tips or advice?

blaze1306

Bronze

Postby blaze1306 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 am

texas2dclawchick wrote:So I ended up deferring the bar exam. After failing NY twice I just couldn't bring myself to mentally prepare again so soon for a UBE. I'm definitely taking DC in February and I want to start early. Do you guys have any tips or advice?

Take this suggestion with a grain of salt as I have yet to know if I passed the July UBE...I began studying in February for the July test and I was burned out by late May. However fear of failing is a great motivator and I got over it. Do something everyday to make yourself better. Even if I was totally burned out and couldn't read another word, I watched a YouTube video on torts or made note cards for 25 minutes but something was done everyday to ensure I knew something today I didn't know yesterday. Starting this early is a marathon grind but I felt (and you will feel) prepared (if not confident) when the time comes. What drove me was a person in our office, who already has a license, from another jurisdiction didn't respect the test in February and failed, I didn't want to fail because of anything I can control. You cant control the questions on the test but you can control how well prepared you are for anything they throw at you.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Any guesses as to when results will be posted? It's kind of cruel that they don't give us a date or a warning.

Did some digging and found out results dates from previous exams on this site -- http://february2008barexam.blogspot.com ... -exam.html.

July 2015 - Thursday, October 15
July 2014 - Friday, October 17
July 2013 - Thursday, October 24
July 2012 - Wednesday, October 31
July 2011 - Wednesday, October 27

Based on the July results dates for the past five years, my guess is that the memo will be posted on a Friday, either Oct. 21 or Oct. 28. But considering the mess the administration was with the doubling in the applicant pool during the exam, I'm leaning more towards Oct. 28, or sometime that week.

Good luck all.

delilah

New

Postby delilah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 pm

DC ppl look so calm. So quiet.

ashawnt

New

Postby ashawnt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Checking in...far from calm...any idea how we are going to be notified? Or when?

Brobiwankenobi

New

Postby Brobiwankenobi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:06 pm

delilah wrote:DC ppl look so calm. So quiet.

My heart jumped when I saw this thread at the top of the board. Also, I would rather it be calm than what's going on over in the NY thread. Trolls upon trolls over there.

KOPBF

New

Postby KOPBF » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:14 pm

See above...optimistically, tomorrow or by this Friday. However, given our experience during the exam, it could be out by middle of November - according to the Official Website.

I also heard that quite a few people were notified by emails / text messages from their friends who continuously refresh the website like every other minute :D :D

ashawnt wrote:Checking in...far from calm...any idea how we are going to be notified? Or when?

Jaleon2000

New

Postby Jaleon2000 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:55 pm

I called the DC Committee on Admissions yesterday asking if the DC CA have any bar results' release date. The lady told me that the results will be released next week. But, I don't know if that's the answer they are giving to all callers awaiting for DC results. :?

rkreymer

Bronze

Postby rkreymer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Brobiwankenobi wrote:
delilah wrote:DC ppl look so calm. So quiet.

My heart jumped when I saw this thread at the top of the board. Also, I would rather it be calm than what's going on over in the NY thread. Trolls upon trolls over there.

NY comment.... bigly of you!

delilah

New

Postby delilah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Jaleon2000 wrote:I called the DC Committee on Admissions yesterday asking if the DC CA have any bar results' release date. The lady told me that the results will be released next week. But, I don't know if that's the answer they are giving to all callers awaiting for DC results. :?

I also called the committee two days ago. I asked, "Could you please please let me know when the result would be released? this week or someime in november?" A lady said, "Early November." So probably next week..

ashawnt

New

Postby ashawnt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 am

NCBE released the questions but no model answers....

http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ument%2F26

NCBE labeled what I thought to be a strictly evidence question as a evidence/crim pro question.... I didn't raise any crim pro issues...how screwed am I? Also, the secured transaction essay is labeled as secured transaction/real property...ST was my worst subject so I left it for last and only answered the first sub question(ran out of time) .definitely didn't discuss anything property related either...how screwed am I?

gwcolonial24

New

Postby gwcolonial24 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:55 pm

delilah wrote:
Jaleon2000 wrote:I called the DC Committee on Admissions yesterday asking if the DC CA have any bar results' release date. The lady told me that the results will be released next week. But, I don't know if that's the answer they are giving to all callers awaiting for DC results. :?

I also called the committee two days ago. I asked, "Could you please please let me know when the result would be released? this week or someime in november?" A lady said, "Early November." So probably next week..

Not knowing when the results will be released makes the waiting even worst. Virginia and Maryland announced release dates for July 2016 scores. Why couldn't DC do the same?

KOPBF

New

Postby KOPBF » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:48 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
delilah wrote:

Not knowing when the results will be released makes the waiting even worst. Virginia and Maryland announced release dates for July 2016 scores. Why couldn't DC do the same?

It never does. One thing for sure is that DC is going to boast about the largest passing rate increase (from a typical 40%ish) thanks to you and other 200+ GW students.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 am

It's kind of upsetting that NY bar results came out before DC.
-Both DC and NY switched to UBE this past July.
-NY had over 10,000 people sit for the exam and DC had approx. 700.

What the hell is going on? How could they possibly be that unprepared? We haven't had a November release in almost 10 years, smh.

JXander

Silver

Postby JXander » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:34 am

lawstoodent wrote:It's kind of upsetting that NY bar results came out before DC.

What the hell is going on? How could they possibly be that unprepared? We haven't had a November release in almost 10 years, smh.

Given the administration of the July exam, this is unsurprising. I heard that the NY exam went smoothly.

gwcolonial24

New

Postby gwcolonial24 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 pm

JXander wrote:
lawstoodent wrote:It's kind of upsetting that NY bar results came out before DC.

Given the administration of the July exam, this is unsurprising. I heard that the NY exam went smoothly.

Do we know what day this week? Are they going to wait until Friday?

JXander

Silver

Postby JXander » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
JXander wrote:

I'd say that by Friday is your best bet. NY testers got theirs Friday morning--the email was submitted early in the morning so that they woke up to it. Since DC is UBE also, I'm hoping it will do the same.

QuasiINrem

New

Postby QuasiINrem » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:32 pm

JXander wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:
JXander wrote:

I'd say that by Friday is your best bet. NY testers got theirs Friday morning--the email was submitted early in the morning so that they woke up to it. Since DC is UBE also, I'm hoping it will do the same.

NY was sent like close to midnight. I got my email at 11:41 pm Thursday but I was already asleep by then. Didn't see the email until 6 am Friday.

be_freckled

New

Postby be_freckled » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 am

DC doesn't send an email. The pass list is posted on the committee on admissions webpage. In theory the pass list would be posted during business hours, but who knows. All we can do is hit refresh on the webpage until the pass list magically appears.

JXander

Silver

Postby JXander » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:46 am

be_freckled wrote:DC doesn't send an email. The pass list is posted on the committee on admissions webpage. In theory the pass list would be posted during business hours, but who knows. All we can do is hit refresh on the webpage until the pass list magically appears.

How do we know this for certain? I just ask because they sent bar exam updates via email, and this is the first year they've done the UBE.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�