Anyone moving during right after the exam?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ironbmike

Bronze

Anyone moving during right after the exam?

Postby ironbmike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:05 pm

So I'm heading to Virginia to take the exam, and then heading to DC to start work. I don't have an apt yet. I really don't want to rent sight unseen. I'll be arriving there July 28 and I need to start working by August 11.

Anyone in a similar predicament?

Pros of renting sight unseen:
- Get it off my mind while studying
- Less stress

Cons:
- Not seeing it in person, obviously
- Possible scams

Pros of renting when I get there:
- See it in person
- Get to meet potential roommates in person, not Skype

Cons:
- Will need to scramble to find a place ASAP - might find nothing good
- A big stress point before and during the exam. Will have to be e-mailing landlords the week of the exam.

Thoughts? I'm thinking just forgetting about it and moving up there with no lease, then subletting for August if necessary if I can't find a good place right away.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Anyone moving during right after the exam?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 pm

ironbmike wrote:So I'm heading to Virginia to take the exam, and then heading to DC to start work. I don't have an apt yet. I really don't want to rent sight unseen. I'll be arriving there July 28 and I need to start working by August 11.

- Less stress

Cons:
- Possible scams

- See it in person

Cons:
- A big stress point before and during the exam. Will have to be e-mailing landlords the week of the exam.

Thoughts? I'm thinking just forgetting about it and moving up there with no lease, then subletting for August if necessary if I can't find a good place right away.

I am to start working the first week of August, so I rented a place after getting a lot of pictures and talking to the real estate agent about the place. (And then tossed in a "my acceptance is contingent on" phrase to get around SoF #ownthebar).

At this point, though, I'd probably just say fuck it and couch surf/airbnb at the last minute if need be.

ironbmike

Bronze

Re: Anyone moving during right after the exam?

Postby ironbmike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:35 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
ironbmike wrote:So I'm heading to Virginia to take the exam, and then heading to DC to start work. I don't have an apt yet. I really don't want to rent sight unseen. I'll be arriving there July 28 and I need to start working by August 11.

- Less stress

Cons:
- Possible scams

- See it in person

Cons:

I am to start working the first week of August, so I rented a place after getting a lot of pictures and talking to the real estate agent about the place. (And then tossed in a "my acceptance is contingent on" phrase to get around SoF #ownthebar).

At this point, though, I'd probably just say fuck it and couch surf/airbnb at the last minute if need be.

How'd you find a real estate agent? Are they charging a finder's fee?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�