UBE Bar ... Appropriate Essay Preperation Time and Barbri Simulated MBE!!!

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
S. Goodman

Bronze

UBE Bar ... Appropriate Essay Preperation Time and Barbri Simulated MBE!!!

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 pm

The title says it all.

Someone please for the love of god correct me if I am wrong; but, from my understanding the conventional tea leaf wisdom is that a solid MBE score nearly, if not surely, translates to Bar passage. If the MBE is worth 50% of your grade on the UBE. We all are at least somewhat competent at writing essays, having done them for finals for three years. To me it seems prudent to devote almost all of your time to getting better at the MBE, with minimal prep time for the MPT and the essays. I'm not saying I plan on blowing those off on test day. But with a solid MBE score, and a legitimate effort on the MPT and essays with little preparation on test day, passing should be a foregone conclusion??

On a side note, Barbri's simulated MBE the other day felt unusually easy. Which makes me feel like I am being lulled into a false sense of security. I don't feel confident about the material at all, but I felt my score was decent. This is concerning. I got 137 out of 200 right, which is the 79th percentile. I've done literally fuck all in Barbri essay preparation. Do you all think it is better to continue to work on the MBE related material (BLL, questions, practice tests), or to shift gears into essay preparation?

I am terrified of under studying; but calm, cool, cavalier has been my MO all through law school and I have done fine. Wondering if I should change things up and study like a crazy person, or just do what I've always done.

EDIT: All of my Barbri MBE sections for practice questions are in the 60 percents, except civil proceudre which is in the 70's. I think this is average right? It could always be better though.
Last edited by S. Goodman on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Re: UBE Bar ... Appropriate Essay Preperation Time and Barbri Simulated MBE!!!

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:29 pm

tag

musashino

New

Postby musashino » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:57 am

For the UBE, the answer is, in short, "yes." A very good MBE score will virtually assure passage in a 50% MBE jx.

If you can get a 65% raw on the MBE roughly, i believe (don't quote me on this), you'd have to be in the bottom 10% on your essays to screw up passage.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 am

Shit bro I'm there with u. Havent gotten to the simulated mbe yet, a few days behind on that, but I'm good at multiple choice and shit so get pretty good scores on mbe but basically haven't memorized jack for rule statements yet.

I did fine just skating by in law school and tests and stuff so I'm finding it kinda hard to study balls out all of a sudden. Usually just went balls to the wall like 2-3 days before a final and it went fine. So I'm thinking I'm gonna take your advice and concentrate mbe and know that I won't be shit like bottom 10% of the entire bar taking population I'd feel like a fuckin idiot doing that bad

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:50 am

Speaking of - has anyone gotten 4s on the graded essays yet? Thought my civ pro one was decent, came to all of the same conclusions and structured it like the model answer. got a 3. That's failing. What gives.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:18 am

Thank you all for the replies.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:48 am

ellewoods123 wrote:Speaking of - has anyone gotten 4s on the graded essays yet? Thought my civ pro one was decent, came to all of the same conclusions and structured it like the model answer. got a 3. That's failing. What gives.

I got 4's on the MPT and Crim Pro. Still waiting for the Civ Pro essay but I fully expect a 4/5.

It's all about organization.

The issue is

Under General Tort law

Here

Therefore

"Keep it mechanical" - Based Freer God

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:Speaking of - has anyone gotten 4s on the graded essays yet? Thought my civ pro one was decent, came to all of the same conclusions and structured it like the model answer. got a 3. That's failing. What gives.

Mostly surprised that you've gotten the civ pro one back... jeez they were fast for you. I got a 4 on the crim one.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:

I got 4's on the MPT and Crim Pro. Still waiting for the Civ Pro essay but I fully expect a 4/5.

The issue is

Under General Tort law

Here

Therefore

ugh I literally cite those EXACT words, i guess maybe I just don't use enough facts in the analysis although my comments are consistent (good analysis, good definition, etc). i don't use headings (I just forget), do you think maybe thats a make or break between a 3 or 4?

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:

Mostly surprised that you've gotten the civ pro one back... jeez they were fast for you. I got a 4 on the crim one.

it might be because I submitted it a few days early since I was doing things out of order?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:40 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

The issue is

Under General Tort law

Here

Therefore

ugh I literally cite those EXACT words, i guess maybe I just don't use enough facts in the analysis although my comments are consistent (good analysis, good definition, etc). i don't use headings (I just forget), do you think maybe thats a make or break between a 3 or 4?

What do you mean by headings?

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
ellewoods123 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

The issue is

Under General Tort law

Here

Therefore

sort of like you would do in an MPT? bold/underline "THE COURT HAS SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION BECAUSE..."

I'm just frustrated

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:46 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:
ellewoods123 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

The issue is

Under General Tort law

Here

Therefore

sort of like you would do in an MPT? bold/underline "THE COURT HAS SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION BECAUSE..."

I'm just frustrated

You definitely don't need those on an essay. If you 100% know what the answer to the specific interrogatory is you can put it as your first sentence to you essay. So it would look like this:

QUESTION: "Does the Court have subject matter jurisdiction over this case?"
"1.
The Court will have subject matter jurisdiction over this case. The issue here is whether the court will have subject matter jurisdiction over the case. Under the FRCP, the court will have subject matter jxn when a federal question is involved or diversity exists (citizenship etc).

In this case, APPLICATION

Therefore, REPEAT CONCLUSION FROM TOP. "

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�