Way behind NY barbri. Am I past the point of recovery?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
PepeSilvia

New

Way behind NY barbri. Am I past the point of recovery?

Postby PepeSilvia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm taking the July NY bar and enrolled in BarBri (paid for by my firm). Up until the 4th, I've been working part-time and as a result have fallen far behind the barbri course. I'm starting to really panic and worry about how much I have fucked myself.

I have watched about half of the lecture videos so far, done a few dozens practice questions, and that's about it. I haven't really put in a full day of intense studying, stupidly thinking I had time and could put in 12-15 hour days in July. I'm now realizing how wrong I was.

I still haven't watched lecture videos for Evidence, Con Law, FRCP, and Agency/Corps. I haven't done anything regarding essays.

Can someone tell me whether it is remotely possible that I pass this exam if I can put in 12+ hour days going forward? What should I focus on, and what can I get by without? Is my entire future derailed now?
Last edited by PepeSilvia on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

squiggle

Bronze

Re: Way behind NY barbri. Am I fucked beyond recovery?

Postby squiggle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 pm

If you haven't touched any of Barbri's essays info, I'd consider by Seperac (http://seperac.com). Seperac prioritizes the likely essay topics and subtopics. He provides prioritized outline in full paragraph form in written and audio form. Given that you're limited in time, it's a great way to narrow down what you need to study in a systematic way. He also has prioritized MBE outlines, and a study time allocation calendar. He has also collected past MEE essay and MPT questions to review from.

Given your situation, I'd say it's worth the extra $ to not have to take it again (or lose your job depending on your situation). You can still use Barbri for the MBE question, but could disregard the lectures going forward.

I've used it before for the old NY format and I'm using it again for a different UBE state (I'm taking my 3rd state this summer). PM me if you have any questions. You next month will suck, but there's still hope for passing!

Johann

Diamond

Re: Way behind NY barbri. Am I fucked beyond recovery?

Postby Johann » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 pm

80 hours total study time on just 6 MBE subjects including 2,000 practice questions and reading and rereading those 6 outlines would probably put you around 95%+ passing chance.

joeyc328

Bronze

Re: Way behind NY barbri. Am I past the point of recovery?

Postby joeyc328 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 am

2000 MBE Questions. Learn the Basics of the strategy behind essay writing. Because time is a factor I would recommend skipping Entire Essay sections play the odds that you do not get one of those. You are better off really knowing 1 section than half doing 2 sections

PepeSilvia

New

Postby PepeSilvia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:07 am

joeyc328 wrote:2000 MBE Questions. Learn the Basics of the strategy behind essay writing. Because time is a factor I would recommend skipping Entire Essay sections play the odds that you do not get one of those. You are better off really knowing 1 section than half doing 2 sections

Should I even try to catch up on lecture videos at this point?

arc1138

New

Postby arc1138 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 am

im in a similar situation with the IL bar, and i would say that the lectures are a huge time sucker. Unless you have to drive somewhere and you can put the audio lectures on in the background, i wouldnt waste my time with them. I mean, the evidence video alone is 6 freaking hours long!

PepeSilvia

New

Postby PepeSilvia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 am

arc1138 wrote:im in a similar situation with the IL bar, and i would say that the lectures are a huge time sucker. Unless you have to drive somewhere and you can put the audio lectures on in the background, i wouldnt waste my time with them. I mean, the evidence video alone is 6 freaking hours long!

I feel you. Only thing is that my memory of some of these 1L topics is shot, so putting the videos on 1.75x speed and following along with the lecture notes gives me at least a little familiarity. Not sure I could just read BLL in the outlines or whatever and become as comfortable with the material.

hellojd

Bronze

Postby hellojd » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:19 pm

You'll be fine assuming you can now devote all your time. I started studying 2.5 weeks ago, and finished all the lectures, multiple problem sets, and a couple MEE topics too. You have a big headstart on that and we have almost 3 weeks to go.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:45 pm

I would focus on the MBE subjects, and disregard everything else. Not only will the MBE topics cover the MBE, they're the likeliest to show up on the essays, easier to remember state specific rules for given you're memorizing the multistate rules at the same time and almost every scenario will revolve around the MBE. If you have a car accident, you might have agency issues and NY procedure issues, but the major issue will always be liability. The Barbri essay strategy is most useful for people who went to shitty schools. I didn't practice a single essay, don't think I ever got more than 50% on any MBE and didn't have any issues. Barbri doesn't release it's pass rates, but they're motivated to make you think you'll fail, because if you think you suck, study hard and then pass you'll think Barbri is amazing. 9 times out of 10, the people who pass will pass no matter what and the people who fail will fail no matter what.

joeyc328

Bronze

Postby joeyc328 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:24 pm

PepeSilvia wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:2000 MBE Questions. Learn the Basics of the strategy behind essay writing. Because time is a factor I would recommend skipping Entire Essay sections play the odds that you do not get one of those. You are better off really knowing 1 section than half doing 2 sections

Should I even try to catch up on lecture videos at this point?

Depends if you find them helpful. I watched the real property one 3 or 4 times, I also went to the lectures live it dependents how you learn.

plurilingue

Bronze

Postby plurilingue » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

You can easily pass without stressing out.

viewtopic.php?t=219014

Just do as many MBE questions as possible and review all your errors; don't spend much time on essays and or on the MPT. I would try to hit a 66% average on all the MBE sections and practice exams.

captainplanet

New

Postby captainplanet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:43 pm

I was in a similar position last year. I took the CA bar exam, which weighs essays more than the MBE, so I don't know how applicable my experience is to the NY exam. I found that the Barbri lectures were useful for essays and listened to them at 1.75 speed. I also memorized the rule statements from the model Barbri answers from 5 essays from each subject; the same topics kept coming up. Memorizing the rule statements is what successfully got me through the CA bar exam (as long as your IRAC skills are strong and what's lacking is knowing the rules themselves).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�