Advice for next 3 weeks? (Adaptibar, CP & Barbri)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
lawstoodent

New

Advice for next 3 weeks? (Adaptibar, CP & Barbri)

Postby lawstoodent » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Does anyone have any tips on what I should do in the next 3 weeks to improve my performance on MBE questions? Just took the barbri 50 mixed question today and got a 32/50 (64%). My adaptibar average is also 64.7%. From what I understand, getting a raw score of at least 70% (140/200) on the actual MBE is a solid score to pass, if I do okay on the MPT and MEE. I will take the Barbri Simulated tomorrow, but I expect a similar performance or worse (since it's apparently more difficult).

For reference, I have Critical Pass, taking Barbri, and Adaptibar. I've also been making flashcards for all questions I've gotten wrong, but I started this process after I finished the first few barbri MPQs. I'm not historically great with multiple choice Qs, but I tend to finish early with 10 or so minutes to spare. I also tend to read pretty quickly through some fact patterns and in reviewing, I realized its resulted in some dumb mistakes. So just slowing down and reading more carefully would probably bump me up a few more points. I expect more rote memorization will help as well.

Any other ideas on how to maximize the next few weeks so that I can improve my score? Any methods that you used in particular that worked in bringing up your percentage? Real property in particular is really my weak spot.

Rap Genius

New

Re: Advice for next 3 weeks? (Adaptibar, CP & Barbri)

Postby Rap Genius » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Are you memorizing with Critical Pass?

I am going through some of those cards now and see that maybe not all the test for Constitution are correctly stated. It has slowed me down a little because when I come across a test on the card, I have to refer to outline materials to confirm whether it is correct.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:29 pm

lawstoodent wrote:Does anyone have any tips on what I should do in the next 3 weeks to improve my performance on MBE questions? Just took the barbri 50 mixed question today and got a 32/50 (64%). My adaptibar average is also 64.7%. From what I understand, getting a raw score of at least 70% (140/200) on the actual MBE is a solid score to pass, if I do okay on the MPT and MEE. I will take the Barbri Simulated tomorrow, but I expect a similar performance or worse (since it's apparently more difficult).

For reference, I have Critical Pass, taking Barbri, and Adaptibar. I've also been making flashcards for all questions I've gotten wrong, but I started this process after I finished the first few barbri MPQs. I'm not historically great with multiple choice Qs, but I tend to finish early with 10 or so minutes to spare. I also tend to read pretty quickly through some fact patterns and in reviewing, I realized its resulted in some dumb mistakes. So just slowing down and reading more carefully would probably bump me up a few more points. I expect more rote memorization will help as well.

Any other ideas on how to maximize the next few weeks so that I can improve my score? Any methods that you used in particular that worked in bringing up your percentage? Real property in particular is really my weak spot.

I'm in similar place as you - My adaptibar average is about a 66% right now. I did well on the Barbri simulated MBE (around 80th percentile) but my adaptibar average is not leaving me very confident. I don't want to abandon Barbri entirely, but I've been focusing more heavily on Adaptibar and probably will continue to do so until game day. I have a running list of all missed rule statements per subject and plan to keep adding to it as need be. Not really sure where I stand/how I should feel but just gonna do as much as I can

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:36 pm

lawstoodent wrote:Does anyone have any tips on what I should do in the next 3 weeks to improve my performance on MBE questions? Just took the barbri 50 mixed question today and got a 32/50 (64%). My adaptibar average is also 64.7%. From what I understand, getting a raw score of at least 70% (140/200) on the actual MBE is a solid score to pass, if I do okay on the MPT and MEE. I will take the Barbri Simulated tomorrow, but I expect a similar performance or worse (since it's apparently more difficult).

I think a lot will depend on how well you did on that simulated MBE. I scored in the 80th percentile and I will not be going as hard on the MBE as I did in the first month of studying. Granted, there are subtopics I will be working and improving on but I will now be devoting more time to MEE subjects. I think my plan right now is to do atleast one essay a day and one MEE subject a day, which last about 4-5 hours. And for the rest of the day do MBE questions. I will sprinkle in two or three full MBE tests from now until test day.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:19 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:

I think a lot will depend on how well you did on that simulated MBE. I scored in the 80th percentile and I will not be going as hard on the MBE as I did in the first month of studying. Granted, there are subtopics I will be working and improving on but I will now be devoting more time to MEE subjects. I think my plan right now is to do atleast one essay a day and one MEE subject a day, which last about 4-5 hours. And for the rest of the day do MBE questions. I will sprinkle in two or three full MBE tests from now until test day.

are you using adaptibar? i just don't have a good sense of whether I'm in good place for the MBE or not because my simulated MBE was good but my adaptibar average is not.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

are you using adaptibar? i just don't have a good sense of whether I'm in good place for the MBE or not because my simulated MBE was good but my adaptibar average is not.

I do not use Adaptibar, so it is hard for me to say whether that is a good average or not (i've heard good and bad things about their questions) and honestly, I think answering all those questions on a computer screen is quite different than having the exam in front of you (maybe why you did so well on the simulated MBE). If I had to bet, I think you are in a good place with the MBE. You may want to purchase a full MBE from the NCBE or purchase a copy of Emmanuels S/T and do the full MBE exam in the back.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Rap Genius wrote:Are you memorizing with Critical Pass?

I am going through some of those cards now and see that maybe not all the test for Constitution are correctly stated. It has slowed me down a little because when I come across a test on the card, I have to refer to outline materials to confirm whether it is correct.

Are you talking about 1st amendment? I was a bit confused at first but then it made sense although Barbri organized the info a bit different. I've been scoring 85% in con law using critical pass cards. Someone in another thread discovered that Barbri has at least one thing wrong but Critical Pass has right so don't think Barbri is always correct in its BLL.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:

Surprisingly scored around 80th percentile too. Probably would be higher if I hadn't incorrectly bubbled 2 answers on my answer sheet. However, my adaptibar score is still pretty low. I (relatively) killed con law, evidence and crim law/pro, and objectively killed civ pro. Unfortunately, my contracts score/percentile was horrible so I'm feeling a need to keep working on MBE stuff. (Torts and Property were average)

Adaptibar still in the 60th percentile, which worries me because I though Adaptibar was closer to the real thing?

How are you planning to study for the MEE? Just going through the CMR and review? I kept up with the essays throughout except for this week, so I don't have much catching up to do, but I still don't have any of the MEE topics memorized. I have no idea how to go about it.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 pm

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm using critical pass for the concepts I generally understand, but I've made my own cards for recurring topics I get wrong. I've noticed that their setup for some subjects either is stated differently from Barbri, organized differently or is lacking a lot of information tested on the Barbri MPQs. I particularly hate their organization for contracts and con law.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:40 pm

lawstoodent wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

Surprisingly scored around 80th percentile too. Probably would be higher if I hadn't incorrectly bubbled 2 answers on my answer sheet. However, my adaptibar score is still pretty low. I (relatively) killed con law, evidence and crim law/pro, and objectively killed civ pro. Unfortunately, my contracts score/percentile was horrible so I'm feeling a need to keep working on MBE stuff. (Torts and Property were average)

Adaptibar still in the 60th percentile, which worries me because I though Adaptibar was closer to the real thing?

How are you planning to study for the MEE? Just going through the CMR and review? I kept up with the essays throughout except for this week, so I don't have much catching up to do, but I still don't have any of the MEE topics memorized. I have no idea how to go about it.

Lecture notes, outlines from efficient bar prep and supplement with CMR.

Rap Genius

New

Postby Rap Genius » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm

mvp99 wrote:

Are you talking about 1st amendment? I was a bit confused at first but then it made sense although Barbri organized the info a bit different. I've been scoring 85% in con law using critical pass cards. Someone in another thread discovered that Barbri has at least one thing wrong but Critical Pass has right so don't think Barbri is always correct in its BLL.

I thought the Critical Pass Organization on 1st Amendment made sense.

The error I was referring to was the DCC card. In my Kaplan supplement they use strict scrutiny-like test to determine whether state action is constitutional (requiring a compelling state interest). In the Critical Pass cards there is only a requirement of an "important" state interest. I think you are correct that the BLL in other courses is not always right...

Neve

Bronze

Postby Neve » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:39 pm

When I was studying for the bar exam, I used Critical Pass (referral link with discount code - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9) with Barbri and Emanuel's. I would select 2-3 stacks of Critical Pass cards to review each day then do a MBE practice set by Barbri or Emanuel's. After doing the MBE, I reviewed ALL questions and answers.

It's important to first review the black letter law, second apply the black letter law in practice MBE questions, and finally review the analysis by Barbri, Emanuel's, and Adaptibar for all practice MBE questions. After doing this on a daily basis, my score on the practice questions did improve.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�