Barbri Simulated MBE - California Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ohmygodwillipass

New

Barbri Simulated MBE - California Bar

Postby ohmygodwillipass » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. I love this site. It got me into law school, and I'm forever grateful. Thank you all for being such a supportive community!

I just took the Barbri Simulated MBE, and got a 111/200. Barbri says the mean raw score last summer was 115. I'm really stressed out I'm not going to pass CA bar and was wondering if y'all know what a passing score would look like? I searched fora/google and couldn't find enough (1-2yr recent) posts about how simulated MBE scores translated to passing rate on the CA bar. Thanks in advance folks, you are heroes.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE - California Bar

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:56 am

ohmygodwillipass wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. I love this site. It got me into law school, and I'm forever grateful. Thank you all for being such a supportive community!

I just took the Barbri Simulated MBE, and got a 111/200. Barbri says the mean raw score last summer was 115. I'm really stressed out I'm not going to pass CA bar and was wondering if y'all know what a passing score would look like? I searched fora/google and couldn't find enough (1-2yr recent) posts about how simulated MBE scores translated to passing rate on the CA bar. Thanks in advance folks, you are heroes.

I got a 118 on the Barbri Simulated MBE and got a 159 (estimated) score on the actual MBE. I think my scaled MBE was 1592.

So, even with just 3-5 points above the mean (when I took Barbri mean score was like 115 I think) I ended up with an MBE score that would have been perfectly fine. My essay writing just sucked monkey balls.

ohmygodwillipass

New

Postby ohmygodwillipass » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:19 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
ohmygodwillipass wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. I love this site. It got me into law school, and I'm forever grateful. Thank you all for being such a supportive community!

I got a 118 on the Barbri Simulated MBE and got a 159 (estimated) score on the actual MBE. I think my scaled MBE was 1592.

So, even with just 3-5 points above the mean (when I took Barbri mean score was like 115 I think) I ended up with an MBE score that would have been perfectly fine. My essay writing just sucked monkey balls.

Oh wow. Did you substantially change your study strategy/habits after the simulated MBE, or did you stick to Barbri's daily plans? Thanks for replying, been on pins and needles for last few hours thinking about this. Gonna head to bed and get a nice early start tomorrow thanks to your motivation!

Federalist

New

Postby Federalist » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:20 am

First of all don't panic. I believe it's a little bit low, but you still have more than 3 weeks left. Focus on the BLL in the areas where you did poorly. Try practicing MBE questions. You may try to look for an MBE preparation complement, or exhaust all of Barbri's. You're going to be fine.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 am

ohmygodwillipass wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Oh wow. Did you substantially change your study strategy/habits after the simulated MBE, or did you stick to Barbri's daily plans? Thanks for replying, been on pins and needles for last few hours thinking about this. Gonna head to bed and get a nice early start tomorrow thanks to your motivation!

LOL, I didn't change my study plans even a little. I was already feeling burnt out, so if anything my study pace was even slower and I remember taking a weekend off to watch OITNB, because I was just so over the damn bar exam.

But I only share this story to say that Barbri's fear mongering may not be entirely accurate. I did reasonably well on the MBE portion of the actual bar exam, even though I barely scored above the mean on Barbri's simulated MBE. So -- the Barbri score interpretation may not be an accurate predictor.

But I guess fear is what Barbri has to use to get people serious....I just think it might be a bit much sometime.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 am

is a 118 actually considered low?? we take ours on Wednesday (NY) and I read somewhere in one of these threads that Barbri's average tends to fall between a 101-115. Either way - I'm terrified

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:28 am

ellewoods123 wrote:is a 118 actually considered low?? we take ours on Wednesday (NY) and I read somewhere in one of these threads that Barbri's average tends to fall between a 101-115. Either way - I'm terrified

I think when I was taking it they said the mean was like 112 or 115 (it seems so long ago, like a distant nightmare).

So, I was BARELY above the mean on the Barbri simulated MBE, but I scored well above the mean on the actual MBE. Which is only to say that I don't necessarily think that the Barbri simulated MBE score really says anything about how you'll perform on the actual MBE.

And, I think it might be more of Barbri trying to scare people into compliance.

The ironic thing is that the people who get super freaked are probably the people that are already taking their studies seriously.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:34 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
ellewoods123 wrote:is a 118 actually considered low?? we take ours on Wednesday (NY) and I read somewhere in one of these threads that Barbri's average tends to fall between a 101-115. Either way - I'm terrified

I think when I was taking it they said the mean was like 112 or 115 (it seems so long ago, like a distant nightmare).

So, I was BARELY above the mean on the Barbri simulated MBE, but I scored well above the mean on the actual MBE. Which is only to say that I don't necessarily think that the Barbri simulated MBE score really says anything about how you'll perform on the actual MBE.

And, I think it might be more of Barbri trying to scare people into compliance.

The ironic thing is that the people who get super freaked are probably the people that are already taking their studies seriously.

Good to know, thanks! The scaring method is definitely working so it's nice to hear that you can still come out on top even if it doesn't feel like it (aka how I feel every single day)

Discouraged

New

Postby Discouraged » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi all,

So I don't ever post on forums like this but my desperation is at its peak. I took the simulated barbri mbe yester and got a 96. Needless to say I spent the night crying and my eyes are so puffy now I can barely see the screen to type.

How indicative is this score of my actual performance? I am fighting the you-need-to-push-back-test-till-Feb doubt monster that gnaws at my heart more often than I'd like to admit. Is it true the simulation questions are harder than the real exam? I just really don't know what to do at this point. I get conflicting advice from professors who I think like to advise based on a "be safe" attitude because if they advise differently, their ass might be on the line.

I'd be super grateful for some support! I'm staring at the wall not sure how to proceed. Truly unmotivated and disheartened :,(

MsAvocadoPit

Bronze

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:12 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

How did you know, or estimate that you got 159 on the actual MBE? Just curious. I know that if we pass we won't get to see the scores for essays and PTs, but maybe that's diff for MBE?

Did you find the barbri MBE harder than the real thing? I got a very good score, but I don't want to use that as a reason to ease up if it's false sense of security. Especially because as I was doing it, I wasn't thinking I was getting them all right, I'm concerned I got questions right without knowing why, and it was luck (got 143).

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:37 pm

MsAvocadoPit wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

How did you know, or estimate that you got 159 on the actual MBE? Just curious. I know that if we pass we won't get to see the scores for essays and PTs, but maybe that's diff for MBE?

Did you find the barbri MBE harder than the real thing? I got a very good score, but I don't want to use that as a reason to ease up if it's false sense of security. Especially because as I was doing it, I wasn't thinking I was getting them all right, I'm concerned I got questions right without knowing why, and it was luck (got 143).

No worries -- I took the bar two times. The first time I didn't pass I got my score report with a scaled MBE that people here were kind enough to translate to the actual MBE score. My failure was strictly due to my shitty writing. I'm not sure how I did the second time on the MBE since I was lucky enough to pass.

I thought the barbri MBE was tougher, and I thought it was just different. If you got a good score, you're probably doing fine. A 143 is a really good score!

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Discouraged wrote:Hi all,

So I don't ever post on forums like this but my desperation is at its peak. I took the simulated barbri mbe yester and got a 96. Needless to say I spent the night crying and my eyes are so puffy now I can barely see the screen to type.

How indicative is this score of my actual performance? I am fighting the you-need-to-push-back-test-till-Feb doubt monster that gnaws at my heart more often than I'd like to admit. Is it true the simulation questions are harder than the real exam? I just really don't know what to do at this point. I get conflicting advice from professors who I think like to advise based on a "be safe" attitude because if they advise differently, their ass might be on the line.

I'd be super grateful for some support! I'm staring at the wall not sure how to proceed. Truly unmotivated and disheartened :,(

Really sorry to hear about this!

1) I don't think that this score is indicative of test performance other than now you know you have some ground to make up. This is simply a snapshot of "where you're at." Remember, this test is designed to scare people, hence why they give it so early in the Barbri process. This allows time to correct mistakes and bring up your score. They also didn't have "softball" questions, which should account for ~30 questions on the actual exam, per Barbri.

Anecdotally, I have a good friend who scored similarly to you on the simulated test but got ~160 scaled on the real deal. She passed with flying colors.

2) Many Barbri questions ARE harder than the real questions because they often test the extreme edges of exceptions/rules, where the "right choice" will be much more evident on the real exam. Barbri lecturers have said as much. (If you haven't watched the "intro" video for the Simulated MBE workshop portion, I would suggest doing so. It should help you feel better.)

I also believe that the Barbri questions are less straightforward on average than what the bar exam will be like. Remember, Barbri teaches the law through its questions. --> Growth comes from getting questions wrong and studying errors; they purposely put in very, very difficult questions expecting many to get them wrong so they can use it as a catalyst for growth.

The bar exam, however, will simply test your knowledge. It's not there to trick you so that you learn a new exception.

As for your law professors, forget them if they're not 100% in your corner! This isn't about law school rankings and bar passage percentage. This is about what's best for you!

I would watch the intro and then go do some self care for the afternoon.

Get yourself to a good place mentally before you start working through the questions. The lectures today and tomorrow should be worth their weight in gold as they are going to go over everything that you need in the next two days to do really, really well on the MBE come test day. So my advice is to make sure you're at a state where you can absorb that information :)

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Can anyone attest to whether it's normal to feel like barbri makes you feel like you are NEVER doing enough? I say this to mean, I have been studying MBE A LOT. Obviously, everyone is and we are all putting in the crazy hours and time. But I just feel like I've been religiously doing every practice MBE I can, outlining, notecarding a, reviewing every single question and seeing why I missed it and I STILL *just* hit Barbri's targets. Like, I guess I should feel ok that I'm at least not below them ... But good lord it would just feel like all my time is paying off if I was scoring a little bit more comfortably..

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:28 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:Can anyone attest to whether it's normal to feel like barbri makes you feel like you are NEVER doing enough? I say this to mean, I have been studying MBE A LOT. Obviously, everyone is and we are all putting in the crazy hours and time. But I just feel like I've been religiously doing every practice MBE I can, outlining, notecarding a, reviewing every single question and seeing why I missed it and I STILL *just* hit Barbri's targets. Like, I guess I should feel ok that I'm at least not below them ... But good lord it would just feel like all my time is paying off if I was scoring a little bit more comfortably..

MBE prep is awesome, because its also BLL prep. But, ultimately, in CA, the MBE is still 35% of your grade. You can NEVER ignore it, but I think logically you had better make sure your essays/PTs are on point.

One of the things that annoyed me about Barbri is that they were so busy scaring people about the MBE's that I felt they didn't do nearly enough for the PTs, which are a great area to make up lost points.

Essays/PTs are going to be 65% of your grade. But, as I said, I do not think that the Barbri simulated MBE score is necessarily a direct translation on how you'll do on the actual MBE.

You have only 24 hours in a day, and so I think its a little silly for Barbri to scare you so much into doing work you may not need to do because that means you're not doing other work that may be more helpful. For example, if you felt a little more comfortable about the MBEs you might do more essays, or you may do more PT practice. But because Barbri has put this mbe fear in you, you're focused on that. And such a fear may not even be justified.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:51 pm

A good cry was maybe just what the doctor ordered. Have your cry and then go at it again. Due to my upbringing I can't really cry, and there are so many times I wish I could. When I get depressed or stressed I tend to just hide myself and sleep.

I don't think that score is an actual predictor of MBE performance. I barely scored above median on the simulated MBE and scored well above median on the actual MBE. Additionally, someone upthread said something about the scores being at like 102-105. If thats the case, than you are only like 4-5 points away from the median, its not like you scored a 82.

Just keep working on your BLL, which is the best thing that you can do....period. The essay/PT's still count for almost 2x the MBE score, so knowing the BLL for essays and MBE's is important. If you keep working the BLL, it will pay off.

Additionally, if you feel like there is a better way for you to study, do that. I made the mistake of following Barbri and not my own instinct on how to study.

And don't follow the "push back to Feb" advice. That sounds positively ridiculous and I don't even understand why anyone would suggest it.

Even though I didn't pass the first time (and I knew it) I walked out of the test knowing that: 1) its passable and 2) what I could do to pass.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:15 am

I think you got good advice above. Also, just curious: how had you been performing on the practice sets? Were you doing well and just got blindsided by the practice MBE, or had you not been doing as well as you would have liked on the practice sets also?

Discouraged

New

Postby Discouraged » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Redfactor wrote:

Really sorry to hear about this!

1) I don't think that this score is indicative of test performance other than now you know you have some ground to make up. This is simply a snapshot of "where you're at." Remember, this test is designed to scare people, hence why they give it so early in the Barbri process. This allows time to correct mistakes and bring up your score. They also didn't have "softball" questions, which should account for ~30 questions on the actual exam, per Barbri.

Anecdotally, I have a good friend who scored similarly to you on the simulated test but got ~160 scaled on the real deal. She passed with flying colors.

2) Many Barbri questions ARE harder than the real questions because they often test the extreme edges of exceptions/rules, where the "right choice" will be much more evident on the real exam. Barbri lecturers have said as much. (If you haven't watched the "intro" video for the Simulated MBE workshop portion, I would suggest doing so. It should help you feel better.)

I also believe that the Barbri questions are less straightforward on average than what the bar exam will be like. Remember, Barbri teaches the law through its questions. --> Growth comes from getting questions wrong and studying errors; they purposely put in very, very difficult questions expecting many to get them wrong so they can use it as a catalyst for growth.

The bar exam, however, will simply test your knowledge. It's not there to trick you so that you learn a new exception.

As for your law professors, forget them if they're not 100% in your corner! This isn't about law school rankings and bar passage percentage. This is about what's best for you!

I would watch the intro and then go do some self care for the afternoon.

Get yourself to a good place mentally before you start working through the questions. The lectures today and tomorrow should be worth their weight in gold as they are going to go over everything that you need in the next two days to do really, really well on the MBE come test day. So my advice is to make sure you're at a state where you can absorb that information :)

Oh my goodness, thank you so much Redfactor and rcharter1978!
I took your advice. I spent yesterday regrouping and just taking some time to get myself back in gear. It really helped. I’m well rested now and gonna hit the books again. I feel so encouraged after yesterday. I wasn’t sure if posting on the forum would be helpful but when I read your responses, I felt less alone during this process. If I can return the favor, I’ll be checking this forum now often :D

Thank you for the support and candid advice. I am sincerely grateful!!

Discouraged

New

Postby Discouraged » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:05 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

I think you got good advice above. Also, just curious: how had you been performing on the practice sets? Were you doing well and just got blindsided by the practice MBE, or had you not been doing as well as you would have liked on the practice sets also?

I was doing ok on the practice sets, not as well as I would have liked but that is because the damn program moves from subjects so fast. I had gotten behind in the lectures because I had been moving to a new apartment. My goal was to catch up with the lectures and then go back and do question sets. Right around evidence, I am behind on question sets (the 18 study smart ones & 25 MPQ sets in book).

Do you have any advice on outlines? Like should I be creating my own or just study from Barbri's stuff? Especially with Cal evid and Cal civ pro where we need to note the distinctions, I'm not sure how to study.

Thanks,
:lol:

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:17 pm

I think a decision to make outlines should be made based on how you learn. Did they help you in law school? If so, go for it. Personally, I find outlining to be a waste of time, because I end up zoning out and wasting a lot of time that I could use studying in other ways. I think you just have to keep studying the way that's always worked for you.

And I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll need to improve on the real thing, but you have 3 weeks left to learn a LOT. Some people start in July and end up passing. Think of the huge head start you already have over those people. Just keep working.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:30 am

SLS_AMG wrote:I think a decision to make outlines should be made based on how you learn. Did they help you in law school? If so, go for it. Personally, I find outlining to be a waste of time, because I end up zoning out and wasting a lot of time that I could use studying in other ways. I think you just have to keep studying the way that's always worked for you.

And I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll need to improve on the real thing, but you have 3 weeks left to learn a LOT. Some people start in July and end up passing. Think of the huge head start you already have over those people. Just keep working.

I think this is excellent advice. I ignored my own instincts on what worked for me and went down the Barbri path. I course corrected way too late....but I instinctively knew when I changed to MY study style that it felt better and that the information was being better absorbed.

Discouraged

New

Postby Discouraged » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am

Did anyone notice that about 6 or so questions on the simulated MBE were repeats from studysmart or MPQ book?

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:41 am

Discouraged wrote:Did anyone notice that about 6 or so questions on the simulated MBE were repeats from studysmart or MPQ book?

Yea I noticed, but only about 4 or so. Also, how much of our performance on this can be attributed to just learning to "game" the Barbri MBEs? I ended up getting a good score (very high 150s), but now I'm thinking it's just because I took so many Barbri MBEs that I got used to the way they ask the questions, and that if the questions are phrased differently on the real MBE my score will go down significantly. On a few questions, I can sense the right answer without being able to explain why it's right. Yet, I'm 100% sure it's right, and it is (Reminds me a bit of their AMPs). And I'm especially worried because their essay grading for me was rough to say it nicely so I need the MBEs to come through for me.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?