What is the goal for a raw MBE score? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AllDangle

Bronze

What is the goal for a raw MBE score?

Post by AllDangle » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 am

Topic says it all; how many of the 200 questions do I need to get right? Taking in Texas, which is 40% MBE, 40% essays. 10% Texas procedure and evidence, and 10% MBE.

Johann

Diamond

Re: What is the goal for a raw MBE score?

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 pm

140 right raw is an autopass no matter what you do on the essays.

110 right raw is fine and with fine essays will be a pass.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:27 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:140 right raw is an autopass no matter what you do on the essays.

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me how you got to those numbers?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 pm

AllDangle wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:140 right raw is an autopass no matter what you do on the essays.

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me how you got to those numbers?
its pretty simple math. a 140 raw score puts you at around 160 scaled score on MBE. the MPT is a joke and the average score is above a 4/5 on that, so thats a free 50%-80% score conservatively. then add up what you need in texas to pass. because of the curve, you have to get a 1 on every essay out of 5. there is no 0 like in the MBE section. since you automatically get 20% free there, that usually puts you in the passing range.

ive done the research in the past but im not going to redo it for you. just google texas points to pass and find the lowest amount of points someone on the essay portion scored last year and work backwards.

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 pm

What about in UBE states where it's 50/50? Is 70% the line for autopass?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I think around 65% correct is passing. If you prep correctly, you should be getting 90% on the multi-state portion a week or two before the exam.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I've posted the official MBE percentiles for scaled scores on my blog (the link to my blog is on my profile on this site, and then once you're there do a search for "MBE Percentiles.")

Just looking at the most recent data, a scaled score of 140 puts you in the 67th percentile which is a solid score above the mean. Although that doesn't give us exact data as to a raw score, to scale up to a 140 you're likely looking at around 125-128 raw score. And just a bit higher scaled, 145 rather than 140, jumps you up 10 percentile points to the 77th percentile of all test takers.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:I've posted the official MBE percentiles for scaled scores on my blog (the link to my blog is on my profile on this site, and then once you're there do a search for "MBE Percentiles.")

Just looking at the most recent data, a scaled score of 140 puts you in the 67th percentile which is a solid score above the mean. Although that doesn't give us exact data as to a raw score, to scale up to a 140 you're likely looking at around 125-128 raw score. And just a bit higher scaled, 145 rather than 140, jumps you up 10 percentile points to the 77th percentile of all test takers.
Thx for this, first time I've seen the percentiles. Any chance you have the percentiles breakdowns for July takers?

Also, you or anyone know if MBE scaling is done on a per state basis, or a national basis across all UBE states? E.g., if a state has a better test taking population, will it be more difficult to get the same score there, at least hypothetically?

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:14 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
SilvermanBarPrep wrote:I've posted the official MBE percentiles for scaled scores on my blog (the link to my blog is on my profile on this site, and then once you're there do a search for "MBE Percentiles.")

Thx for this, first time I've seen the percentiles. Any chance you have the percentiles breakdowns for July takers?

Also, you or anyone know if MBE scaling is done on a per state basis, or a national basis across all UBE states? E.g., if a state has a better test taking population, will it be more difficult to get the same score there, at least hypothetically?
Also wondering this.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:48 pm

AllDangle wrote:Topic says it all; how many of the 200 questions do I need to get right? Taking in Texas, which is 40% MBE, 40% essays. 10% Texas procedure and evidence, and 10% MBE.
I don't know about specific scores, but based on experience, if you get 60% of the questions correct, that's roughly in the low-130's. I wouldn't aim to get a specific score. I'd aim to get as many right as I can. When I passed the bar (on my 4th attempt), my MBE was a mediocre 130.2. However, my essay score compensated for that. My weakest MBE's were Contracts, Property, and Civ Pro. Torts and crim are a walk in the park.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”