MBE vs. MEE vs. MPT: Importance of Each

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
whitecollar23

Bronze

MBE vs. MEE vs. MPT: Importance of Each

Postby whitecollar23 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Hey everyone!

Hope your Bar prep is going well!

I'm taking an approach to prepping that I'm guessing many others have taken in the past--I'm focusing on getting my MBE scoring above 80% and hopefully up to 90% by test day. I know it's realistic based on how I've been scoring so far (~77% right now on topics I've covered). How high would I need to get to be able to not worry about memorizing any of the different rules of law for the MEE? Of course, I'd still know the law well enough to answer such questions, but memorizing the literal rules of law (a pretty pointless thing for actual knowledge of the law). Given this, how well would I need to do on the MBE portion to be cool with average MEE and MPT scores? (I don't plan on aiming for average scores there, but am curious in terms of worst case, and I think this would make for an interesting thread!)

Thoughts? 80%? 85%? 90%? 75%?

Happy weekend!

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: MBE vs. MEE vs. MPT: Importance of Each

Postby Redfactor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:27 pm

My question in response would be, how do you expect to get an average grade on the MEE if you don't know the "literal rules of law?" (You don't really need to do much beyond getting familiar with the MPT test process to do well.)

Depending on your state, I think about a 150 scaled score takes you almost to the finish line.

Overall, I think neglecting the MEE is a poor tactic, but to each their own.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Postby whitecollar23 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Redfactor wrote:My question in response would be, how do you expect to get an average grade on the MEE if you don't know the "literal rules of law?" (You don't really need to do much beyond getting familiar with the MPT test process to do well.)

Depending on your state, I think about a 150 scaled score takes you almost to the finish line.

Overall, I think neglecting the MEE is a poor tactic, but to each their own.

Oh, I don't plan on neglecting it. I just don't really want to sit down and memorize rule statements. I will still know the rules pretty well and be able to write down some rule statement, but not the literal one in bar review books. Given that that portion of the essays aren't even a major part of its grade, I just don't see how the time it would take to memorize could be worth it.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 pm

If your MEE is only like 30% of the grade it doesn't seem like a productive use of time to memorize every last rule statement. So I'm doing similar to you

There is a thread from a couple years ago when more definite figures if u can find it, something like XXX MBE = Auto pass, or something like that

I think they agreed something like 70% correct mbe makes it pretty tough to fail

whitecollar23

Bronze

Postby whitecollar23 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:38 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:If your MEE is only like 30% of the grade it doesn't seem like a productive use of time to memorize every last rule statement. So I'm doing similar to you

There is a thread from a couple years ago when more definite figures if u can find it, something like XXX MBE = Auto pass, or something like that

I think they agreed something like 70% correct mbe makes it pretty tough to fail

I gotta find that. But yeah, we're in the same boat. Not only is the MEE worth little, but rule statements are worth very little in your answer. Not only that, but if we're doing well on the MBE portion, our rule statement aren't gonna suck. Isn't the memorization what drives people crazy in the last weeks leading up to the exam?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�