Tutors anyone?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
LawDawg2016

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

Tutors anyone?

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 pm

I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I have about a 63% average on adaptibar questions (about 300 completed so far in only four subjects). I seem to narrow it to two...and then, pick the wrong one. Would a tutor help? Has anyone used a tutor and have any recommendations? I don't want to be a 3rd time taker in Feb. :oops:

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1422
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby mvp99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I have about a 63% average on adaptibar questions (about 300 completed so far in only four subjects). I seem to narrow it to two...and then, pick the wrong one. Would a tutor help? Has anyone used a tutor and have any recommendations? I don't want to be a 3rd time taker in Feb. :oops:


Doesn't 63% translate into a passing score?
Last edited by mvp99 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AllDangle

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby AllDangle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Doesn't BarBri's MBE Immersion video say that our goal is 60% on MBE?

LawDawg2016

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 pm

mvp99 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I have about a 63% average on adaptibar questions (about 300 completed so far in only four subjects). I seem to narrow it to two...and then, pick the wrong one. Would a tutor help? Has anyone used a tutor and have any recommendations? I don't want to be a 3rd time taker in Feb. :oops:


Doesn't 63% translate into a score?



Adaptibar tells you how many you have gotten correct of those you have attempted. So, my score so far is 63% -- in the four subjects I have studied and attempted. As far as a passing score on the MBE...I need a 136 in Florida...which is the equivalent of about a 68% or 70% -- depending on the scale that particular time.

LawDawg2016

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

AllDangle wrote:Doesn't BarBri's MBE Immersion video say that our goal is 60% on MBE?


I took Barbri the first time...in Feb. I don't really trust their methods of prediction very well. I did pass Florida portion, so there is that. However, I want to get my scores a little higher than necessary so that I don't go through this again.

User avatar
JazzOne

Gold
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.

LawDawg2016

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.


I think I need to speak to someone who can walk me through the questions. I am at about 50% in torts. I literally get one correct, then one wrong...It is pretty frustrating.

User avatar
JazzOne

Gold
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.


I think I need to speak to someone who can walk me through the questions. I am at about 50% in torts. I literally get one correct, then one wrong...It is pretty frustrating.

The MBE is pretty tricky. I don't think that 50% is bad in the early days of studying. In fact, I think that missing practice questions is one of the best ways to figure out your weaknesses and review the black letter law. Every time you miss a question and review the explanation, you are reinforcing the rules, and you're learning how to read and interpret the MBE language.

Here are a couple tips. I prefer to read the question before the fact pattern. I also skim the answers so I know what to look for in the fact pattern. Second, if you are not sure about an answer, pull out your outline and look up the rule before selecting your final answer. That gives you an opportunity to catch an error before reading the explanation.

LawDawg2016

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.


I think I need to speak to someone who can walk me through the questions. I am at about 50% in torts. I literally get one correct, then one wrong...It is pretty frustrating.

The MBE is pretty tricky. I don't think that 50% is bad in the early days of studying. In fact, I think that missing practice questions is one of the best ways to figure out your weaknesses and review the black letter law. Every time you miss a question and review the explanation, you are reinforcing the rules, and you're learning how to read and interpret the MBE language.

Here are a couple tips. I prefer to read the question before the fact pattern. I also skim the answers so I know what to look for in the fact pattern. Second, if you are not sure about an answer, pull out your outline and look up the rule before selecting your final answer. That gives you an opportunity to catch an error before reading the explanation.


Thank you. I think part of my problem is that it doesn't feel like it is early. I know it is, esp. since I only have seven subjects to study. But, I think because it is my second time, I feel like I should know more than I do. Okay. I'm going to breath. Thanks again.

User avatar
pebblsrock

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby pebblsrock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 am

I'm still curious about tutors -- can anyone recommend a tutor in NYC area? Pretty much to go over/talk through weak spots. I understand it is too late to sign up for some tutors and tutoring companies.

User avatar
Raiden

Bronze
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Tutors anyone?

Postby Raiden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:11 pm

I do MBE bar tutoring, and my MBE package can be customized: http://barexambeast.com/product/mbe-tutoring-package/



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cem2030, Trying2makeit and 25 guests