Strategies for MBE analysis or approach

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
maniclaw00

New

Strategies for MBE analysis or approach

Postby maniclaw00 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm taking AdaptiBar for the UBE in July and I usually identify the subject from the question stem, but I'm having trouble with some of them.

(Ex: one question started with a statute, "allowing police to inspect a junkyard to prevent car theft", subsequently arresting a woman who owned a junkyard with a stolen vehicle, but entered the property without a warrant, and the question stem was about the woman's motion to suppress.)

1:40 for each MBE question, originally thought it was civ pro from the stem alone (motion), then saw the statute and thought con law, and chose the answer that the police discretion was too broad search without a warrant. I was wrong because it's a "highly regulated industry with strong gov. interest."?

Any recommended approaches to tackle the MBE questions, I'd appreciate it. I think majority of the people hate longer questions, but some shorter ones like this trip me up.

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: Strategies for MBE analysis or approach

Postby L_William_W » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

IMO, Adaptibar dosn't reflect the material on the exam. It's much easier than the actual exam. When I used Adaptibar, my MBE was 123.2. After I ditched it and used the giant Kaplan book, my MBE increased to 130.2 (which is still low, but in my case, enough to pass). There's a difference between doing a question on a computer and doing it with a pen and paper.

I knew that I sucked in Contracts, Property, and Civ Pro. My strategy was to just go through the motions in those three subjects BUT train extra hard in the other subjects (Con Law, Evidence, Torts, Crim). In con law, the questions seem hard, but if you do enough of them (and understand why you got them wrong) then it'll become predictable. The crim questions are deceptively easy. The rules are straightforward, but some of them have red herring issues. Don't jump at the first answer that seems logical- think before you act. In evidence, you just have to know the rules.

maniclaw00

New

Re: Strategies for MBE analysis or approach

Postby maniclaw00 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Really? I find there explanations extremely useful, but I'll have to switch to different practice questions I guess.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�