Video Lectures vs. Outlines Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
whitecollar23

Bronze

Video Lectures vs. Outlines

Post by whitecollar23 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:38 am

So I'm in an interesting situation. I have a free bar course because I repped, but from what I've seen so far in the course, I feel like watching lectures is really not worth the time. During law school, I was more of a book learner and not a class learner. Anyone have experience having a course, but then realizing that they'd be better off working through the materials in the outlines in a fifth of the time? I've also noticed that the lectures tend to skip over some materials from outlines.

Any and all advice/anecdotes would be very much appreciated!!

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Video Lectures vs. Outlines

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 am

whitecollar23 wrote:So I'm in an interesting situation. I have a free bar course because I repped, but from what I've seen so far in the course, I feel like watching lectures is really not worth the time. During law school, I was more of a book learner and not a class learner. Anyone have experience having a course, but then realizing that they'd be better off working through the materials in the outlines in a fifth of the time? I've also noticed that the lectures tend to skip over some materials from outlines.

I was told by the guy who did our Barbri MBE review that the secret was to focus on the CMR, and to make lecture notes very, very secondary.

I truly believe that you have to do what works for you. People will tell you to be a sheep in Barbri....but I tried being a sheep the first time around and it felt very unnatural, and I was not successful. The second time, I self-studied and did what felt comfortable for me...no matter how weird it was...and I passed.

I think the lectures are good, especially for an area of the law that you may not have seen in a while....but if its not working for you....its not working for you.

Maybe you should study the way you feel comfortable for a few days and do the assignments and see if you do well. See how the diagnostics or your homework go.....if you do good, maybe studying the way you prefer is better. If your assignments are a disaster maybe you go back to watching the lectures.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Re: Video Lectures vs. Outlines

Post by whitecollar23 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:So I'm in an interesting situation. I have a free bar course because I repped, but from what I've seen so far in the course, I feel like watching lectures is really not worth the time. During law school, I was more of a book learner and not a class learner. Anyone have experience having a course, but then realizing that they'd be better off working through the materials in the outlines in a fifth of the time? I've also noticed that the lectures tend to skip over some materials from outlines.

I was told by the guy who did our Barbri MBE review that the secret was to focus on the CMR, and to make lecture notes very, very secondary.

I truly believe that you have to do what works for you. People will tell you to be a sheep in Barbri....but I tried being a sheep the first time around and it felt very unnatural, and I was not successful. The second time, I self-studied and did what felt comfortable for me...no matter how weird it was...and I passed.

I think the lectures are good, especially for an area of the law that you may not have seen in a while....but if its not working for you....its not working for you.

Maybe you should study the way you feel comfortable for a few days and do the assignments and see if you do well. See how the diagnostics or your homework go.....if you do good, maybe studying the way you prefer is better. If your assignments are a disaster maybe you go back to watching the lectures.

Not sure what CMR's are... I'm in Kaplan. I mean, I'm doing well even with just doing the lectures. But the more I think about it, I think I might just try doing the lectures and then adding in the short outline book, since it's only like 15-20 pages per-day, maybe more on some days, which is really not a lot to read because the bullet point style reads quickly. When doing the lecture, I just sit there and listen, since I'm not the type to take notes. It's also still really early, so I feel like it's way too soon to be stressing out, haha.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”