New York Bar App Question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
leadsnowhere

New

New York Bar App Question

Post by leadsnowhere » Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi. I am wondering if you are required to disclose arrests and the subsequent charges that were dismissed and then later expunged. On the criminal record section it states "Although a conviction may have been expunged from the records by order of a court, it nevertheless
should be disclosed in the answer to this question." This leads me to believe that arrests and subsequent charges that were dismissed and expunged do not have to be disclosed, just like in most other situations involving such questions. Thank you. :)
Last edited by leadsnowhere on Tue May 24, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold

Re: Disclosure for non-conviction

Post by haus » Sat May 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Is the question about convictions or about charges?

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Which State?

And most States want to see the arrest. You'll have to unseal/unexpunge the record, sadly.

leadsnowhere

New

Post by leadsnowhere » Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 pm

941law wrote:Which State?

And most States want to see the arrest. You'll have to unseal/unexpunge the record, sadly.

New York. I know in Texas (which I thought would be stricter) explicitly says that you do not have to disclose expunged records. New York says to disclose arrests but has an asterisk saying that it expunged convictions must be disclosed without further mentioning non-convictions/arrests.

The thing is I have quite a few arrests and subsequent charges that were totally dismissed without any probation or anything and that were later expunged (Texas does not expunge convictions or charges that were dropped due to deferred adjudication). But, when taking away the expunged charges, my record is pretty clean. The law school application said it didn't require disclosure of expunged arrests so at the time I didn't think about it being a problem for the bar, heck I didn't even know the process. Ugh! These are all things that happened 10-15 years ago too!

leadsnowhere

New

Post by leadsnowhere » Sat May 21, 2016 10:04 pm

haus wrote:Is the question about convictions or about charges?
The expunged charges that were not convicted. That were totally dismissed. For New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Out of curiosity, how do you know that they were "expunged"?

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun May 22, 2016 12:44 pm

encore1101 wrote:Out of curiosity, how do you know that they were "expunged"?
He knows he got approved for expungement because he did the paperwork. He assumes it went through because it is no longer on the Clerks website.

unless this is a metaphor for life type question then I would say the op only knows what he can touch.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun May 22, 2016 12:45 pm

leadsnowhere wrote:
haus wrote:Is the question about convictions or about charges?
The expunged charges that were not convicted. That were totally dismissed. For New York.
change thread title to New York Bar App question and I'm sure someone will come in that can help. Most States require you to admit arrest even if you sealed them.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Mm, I ask because the only sealing provision that I'm aware of is CPL 160.50. If your records were "expunged" pursuant to that section, then that information would still be available. I've never heard of a criminal record being "expunged" in NY, only sealed, but I may be wrong.

In any event, I would probably still disclose. The question makes it obvious that it's pretty broad applicability, and that arrests, even if they were ultimately sealed, expunged, or dismissed, should be disclosed. Hell, they even want to know of you were ever in detention, without a formal arrest being made. That's from an ethical standpoint.

From a "can I get away with not disclosing it" standpoint, I see defendants rap sheets every day, and they list every time that defendant was arrested, even if the case was dismissed before they were arraigned. So take that for what it's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun May 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Do you have to disclose if you're a named suspect on multiple police reports but you've never been arrested? This is what the application says:
Are you currently, or have you ever been arrested, charged, cited, accused, or prosecuted for any crime by a law enforcement agency, or have you ever been the subject of any investigation by a law enforcement agency , civil or administrative agency, professional organization, corporation, board or any other agency (including, but not limited to the lawyer Disciplinary Board, Attorney General's Office, government entity, law firm, etc.)? This does NOT include summary (minor) motor vehicle violations for which you were given a citation (ticket).
Sorry to hijack.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 am

Manali wrote:Do you have to disclose if you're a named suspect on multiple police reports but you've never been arrested? This is what the application says:
Are you currently, or have you ever been arrested, charged, cited, accused, or prosecuted for any crime by a law enforcement agency, or have you ever been the subject of any investigation by a law enforcement agency , civil or administrative agency, professional organization, corporation, board or any other agency (including, but not limited to the lawyer Disciplinary Board, Attorney General's Office, government entity, law firm, etc.)? This does NOT include summary (minor) motor vehicle violations for which you were given a citation (ticket).
Sorry to hijack.
Sounds like yes. The fact that you weren't arrested doesn't seem to change the fact that you were "the subject of any investigation by a LEA." If all they were concerned about was being "arrested," then they didn't have to include that part.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 am

encore1101 wrote:
Manali wrote:Do you have to disclose if you're a named suspect on multiple police reports but you've never been arrested? This is what the application says:
Sorry to hijack.
Sounds like yes. The fact that you weren't arrested doesn't seem to change the fact that you were "the subject of any investigation by a LEA." If all they were concerned about was being "arrested," then they didn't have to include that part.
:Sigh:. I am so fucked. :(

leadsnowhere

New

Post by leadsnowhere » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 pm

encore1101 wrote:Out of curiosity, how do you know that they were "expunged"?
Because I have a copy of the judicial order expunging them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leadsnowhere

New

Post by leadsnowhere » Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 pm

encore1101 wrote:Mm, I ask because the only sealing provision that I'm aware of is CPL 160.50. If your records were "expunged" pursuant to that section, then that information would still be available. I've never heard of a criminal record being "expunged" in NY, only sealed, but I may be wrong.

In any event, I would probably still disclose. The question makes it obvious that it's pretty broad applicability, and that arrests, even if they were ultimately sealed, expunged, or dismissed, should be disclosed. Hell, they even want to know of you were ever in detention, without a formal arrest being made. That's from an ethical standpoint.

From a "can I get away with not disclosing it" standpoint, I see defendants rap sheets every day, and they list every time that defendant was arrested, even if the case was dismissed before they were arraigned. So take that for what it's worth.
I want to apply to the bar in NY my arrests were expunged in a different state. I'm not wondering if I can get away with it, I'm wondering if I have to disclose an expunged arrest. According to the state from which they were expunged, I legally do not have to disclose the arrest because it has been expunged. In my opinion, it is somewhat arbitrary to hold against someone an arrest that led to no conviction, but that's not a fight I'm trying to make.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm

leadsnowhere wrote:
encore1101 wrote:Mm, I ask because the only sealing provision that I'm aware of is CPL 160.50. If your records were "expunged" pursuant to that section, then that information would still be available. I've never heard of a criminal record being "expunged" in NY, only sealed, but I may be wrong.

I want to apply to the bar in NY my arrests were expunged in a different state. I'm not wondering if I can get away with it, I'm wondering if I have to disclose an expunged arrest. According to the state from which they were expunged, I legally do not have to disclose the arrest because it has been expunged. In my opinion, it is somewhat arbitrary to hold against someone an arrest that led to no conviction, but that's not a fight I'm trying to make.
They're not necessarily holding the arrest against you. If the arrest was one of a series of arrests for similar crimes, maybe they would, but if its just a single arrest, I think its more to gauge veracity than reasons to deny you admittance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”