Using UBE score in second jurisdiction. How does that work? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fearless16

New

Using UBE score in second jurisdiction. How does that work?

Post by fearless16 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:45 pm

I've been working in healthcare compliance for about six years and took the bar recently so I could qualify for general counsel positions (which headhunters have already contacted me about).There's a 13-point gap between the passage rate for the state in which I live and the neighboring state.

If I fall short in my home state, my plan is to transfer my score to the neighboring state and apply for the bar there.

I'm just wondering what controls those states might have in place? What's to stop someone who failed NY from trying to become a member of the bar in Indiana, for example? Other than the fact that they would have to live in Indiana unless they were working in house.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Using UBE score in second jurisdiction. How does that work?

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 am

That's actually the benefit of the UBE. So if your score does not meet the standard of state x, but it does meet the standard of state y, even if you don't pass in state x, you can apply for admission in state y.

abc987

New

Re: Using UBE score in second jurisdiction. How does that work?

Post by abc987 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Bumping just to avoid possible confusion:
Indiana isn't a UBE state (and, contrary to the trolling above, it is a great place to live).

The list of UBE states is available at http://www.ncbex.org/exams/ube/.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”