New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fa1493

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby fa1493 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm

definitely just failed that lol

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Woohoo all done!!! It wasn't pretty but pretty sure I passed.

Just to settle this debate: ALL the answers were in the outline. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people in this thread advised us to also do the videos and take notes etc. I mean, obviously it's compulsory to watch them, but screw everyone who said they were necessary to pass this thing. In fact, even if there were some answers contained solely in the NYLC, who cares. You only need 30/50 to pass the NYLE. most, if not all, the questions are verbatim lifted answered in outline. (Having said that, there were def some tricky ones that I just had to guess, and in fact some answers are not "verbatim" from the outline - there is some analysis/synthesis involved, so it shouldn't be taken lightly). But again, so long as you're across the outline and able to navigate it quickly, you're golden.

I did the NYLC back in November and couldn't be fucked doing it again, so the outline was my sole resource.

(Then again, I don't have my results yet so I may have spoken too soon! :? )

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 pm

fa1493 wrote:definitely just failed that lol


Ah mate seriously? You can't be certain. Fingers crossed you made it by... what was the problem?

nicola.kirwan

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby nicola.kirwan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:45 pm

fa1493 wrote:definitely just failed that lol


Pretty much how I feel.

So I was late to the game and didn't realize the pdf wasn't searchable until about 45 minutes prior to the exam. Then got the searchable large print version, only to see that now it's a violation to use Ctrl+F. I have to admit, I thought that was so ridiculous that my first instinct was to say whatever, but you know, reason and ethics saved the day and I instead just wrote a short outline of the table of contents so I could easily jump to the pages of the relevant subject. Or maybe reason and ethics tanked the day, as I did not prepare in the way necessary to easily get away with not being able to quickly look up specific answers. Though I did actually listen to the videos...mostly.

Such an annoyance. The NYLE is very passable, but as it is not based on the common law, it is not intuitive and does require real studying, imo.

fa1493

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby fa1493 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
fa1493 wrote:definitely just failed that lol


Ah mate seriously? You can't be certain. Fingers crossed you made it by... what was the problem?


Yeah definitely not certain...but I had to guess on more than I would have liked to. Spent way too much time flipping through the outline because some of information was in a place not directly related to the topic so it wasn't intuitive when I was looking at the table of contents. Ah well. Hoping for the best!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 pm

yeah I agree. It's kind of a dumb exam. it's not common law and it's not intuitive, but at the same time, you're essentially being timed for time taken flipping through that damn outline. And you're right, things aren't always where they should be in the outline so you really do waste time flipping around, back and forth.

I guess the only way to do it is to tab, highlight, underline, and get to know the outline. No need to bother memorizing it, but at least getting familiar to the point where you can navigate it quickly.

It's just useless busy work imo. I mean yeah, ok we need to know NY law, but we'll forget this whole exam within days/weeks.

Ah well... let's see how we go. You guys have got me a bit nervous! lol

User avatar
Wild Card

Silver
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Wild Card » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Neilt001 wrote:Woohoo all done!!! It wasn't pretty but pretty sure I passed.

Just to settle this debate: ALL the answers were in the outline. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people in this thread advised us to also do the videos and take notes etc. I mean, obviously it's compulsory to watch them, but screw everyone who said they were necessary to pass this thing. In fact, even if there were some answers contained solely in the NYLC, who cares. You only need 30/50 to pass the NYLE. most, if not all, the questions are verbatim lifted answered in outline. (Having said that, there were def some tricky ones that I just had to guess, and in fact some answers are not "verbatim" from the outline - there is some analysis/synthesis involved, so it shouldn't be taken lightly). But again, so long as you're across the outline and able to navigate it quickly, you're golden.

I did the NYLC back in November and couldn't be fucked doing it again, so the outline was my sole resource.

(Then again, I don't have my results yet so I may have spoken too soon! :? )


Yes, I'd like to double-confirm for future testtakers that the answer to every single question can be found in the outline.

It helps to read through the materials before taking the exam because the correct answer is sometimes embedded within a wall of text. And if you see a concept, you'll be able to say, "oh, I remember seeing that at the end/beginning of the CivPro/Contracts section, etc."

That said, it takes about 10 hours to read the outline, which isn't the best use of time when you're studying for the bar. Also, I very leisurely searched my outline during the NYLE, and even then I was able to finish in 1.5 hours. (In law school, OTOH, you know that you're in trouble if you're flipping through your outline during an exam.)

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Woohoo all done!!! It wasn't pretty but pretty sure I passed.

Just to settle this debate: ALL the answers were in the outline. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people in this thread advised us to also do the videos and take notes etc. I mean, obviously it's compulsory to watch them, but screw everyone who said they were necessary to pass this thing. In fact, even if there were some answers contained solely in the NYLC, who cares. You only need 30/50 to pass the NYLE. most, if not all, the questions are verbatim lifted answered in outline. (Having said that, there were def some tricky ones that I just had to guess, and in fact some answers are not "verbatim" from the outline - there is some analysis/synthesis involved, so it shouldn't be taken lightly). But again, so long as you're across the outline and able to navigate it quickly, you're golden.

I did the NYLC back in November and couldn't be fucked doing it again, so the outline was my sole resource.

(Then again, I don't have my results yet so I may have spoken too soon! :? )


Yes, I'd like to double-confirm for future testtakers that the answer to every single question can be found in the outline.

It helps to read through the materials before taking the exam because the correct answer is sometimes embedded within a wall of text. And if you see a concept, you'll be able to say, "oh, I remember seeing that at the end/beginning of the CivPro/Contracts section, etc."

That said, it takes about 10 hours to read the outline, which isn't the best use of time when you're studying for the bar. Also, I very leisurely searched my outline during the NYLE, and even then I was able to finish in 1.5 hours. (In law school, OTOH, you know that you're in trouble if you're flipping through your outline during an exam.)


Agreed!

User avatar
4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:17 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Yes, I'd like to double-confirm for future testtakers that the answer to every single question can be found in the outline.

It helps to read through the materials before taking the exam because the correct answer is sometimes embedded within a wall of text. And if you see a concept, you'll be able to say, "oh, I remember seeing that at the end/beginning of the CivPro/Contracts section, etc."

That said, it takes about 10 hours to read the outline, which isn't the best use of time when you're studying for the bar. Also, I very leisurely searched my outline during the NYLE, and even then I was able to finish in 1.5 hours. (In law school, OTOH, you know that you're in trouble if you're flipping through your outline during an exam.)


I can also confirm that the time limit feels reasonable and that the packet has all the answers (normal to be able to finish 20-30 minutes early if you just re-familiarize yourself with the ToC and are aware of the general break-down of topics beforehand). Your prep time is likely better spent making your printed outline more easily navigable for use during the exam than it is actually reading the outline for substance. Use whatever system you used to tab or organize your exam outlines in law school.

Re: the bold, FWIW, I regularly flipped through my outlines during just about every exam in law school. Practicing that over three years of law school probably helped me prepare to quickly reference the NYLE packet as well. To each their own.

studying4bar

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby studying4bar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Neilt001 wrote:Woohoo all done!!! It wasn't pretty but pretty sure I passed.

Just to settle this debate: ALL the answers were in the outline. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people in this thread advised us to also do the videos and take notes etc. I mean, obviously it's compulsory to watch them, but screw everyone who said they were necessary to pass this thing. In fact, even if there were some answers contained solely in the NYLC, who cares. You only need 30/50 to pass the NYLE. most, if not all, the questions are verbatim lifted answered in outline. (Having said that, there were def some tricky ones that I just had to guess, and in fact some answers are not "verbatim" from the outline - there is some analysis/synthesis involved, so it shouldn't be taken lightly). But again, so long as you're across the outline and able to navigate it quickly, you're golden.

I did the NYLC back in November and couldn't be fucked doing it again, so the outline was my sole resource.

(Then again, I don't have my results yet so I may have spoken too soon! :? )


Well...As for your statement regarding people in the thread advising the videos, since I was one I feel compelled to respond. That may be true of this particular administration of the exam, but that's an awfully conclusory statement to make - it is offered 4 times a year with changing questions and at least for my part I did say I can't definitively say there would be questions from the video. I also made some statements about watching videos because people in the past and I believe earlier in this thread mentioned being audited, getting audited, etc. The purpose of the course AND exam is to ensure at least a bare minimum of NY specific law is known to a candidate before they are licensed.

Also, just to settle ANOTHER debate, your experience as well as my prior posts underscore the importance of and disprove the negative perception of the written materials. They were designed specifically for the exam, but people stated they were not adequate or quality materials. I hope that regardless of people's results, they note that particular portion of your post. And I am sure you passed - either way, you'll likely know in 2 weeks or less (unless substantially more people sat for June than March, but it's a multiple choice exam...)

As for others saying they definitely failed, don't panic and don't assume that because you just had to hit 30 questions correct. You will get your results relatively and comparatively (to the UBE) quickly, so put it out of mind for now and in the event you do not pass, you will next time and you will have that opportunity in a few months. No need to sweat it! 3 months of delay will not kill your career, it isn't the end of the world, it's just an inconvenience.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm

studying4bar wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Woohoo all done!!! It wasn't pretty but pretty sure I passed.

Just to settle this debate: ALL the answers were in the outline. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people in this thread advised us to also do the videos and take notes etc. I mean, obviously it's compulsory to watch them, but screw everyone who said they were necessary to pass this thing. In fact, even if there were some answers contained solely in the NYLC, who cares. You only need 30/50 to pass the NYLE. most, if not all, the questions are verbatim lifted answered in outline. (Having said that, there were def some tricky ones that I just had to guess, and in fact some answers are not "verbatim" from the outline - there is some analysis/synthesis involved, so it shouldn't be taken lightly). But again, so long as you're across the outline and able to navigate it quickly, you're golden.

I did the NYLC back in November and couldn't be fucked doing it again, so the outline was my sole resource.

(Then again, I don't have my results yet so I may have spoken too soon! :? )


Well...As for your statement regarding people in the thread advising the videos, since I was one I feel compelled to respond. That may be true of this particular administration of the exam, but that's an awfully conclusory statement to make - it is offered 4 times a year with changing questions and at least for my part I did say I can't definitively say there would be questions from the video. I also made some statements about watching videos because people in the past and I believe earlier in this thread mentioned being audited, getting audited, etc. The purpose of the course AND exam is to ensure at least a bare minimum of NY specific law is known to a candidate before they are licensed.

Also, just to settle ANOTHER debate, your experience as well as my prior posts underscore the importance of and disprove the negative perception of the written materials. They were designed specifically for the exam, but people stated they were not adequate or quality materials. I hope that regardless of people's results, they note that particular portion of your post. And I am sure you passed - either way, you'll likely know in 2 weeks or less (unless substantially more people sat for June than March, but it's a multiple choice exam...)

As for others saying they definitely failed, don't panic and don't assume that because you just had to hit 30 questions correct. You will get your results relatively and comparatively (to the UBE) quickly, so put it out of mind for now and in the event you do not pass, you will next time and you will have that opportunity in a few months. No need to sweat it! 3 months of delay will not kill your career, it isn't the end of the world, it's just an inconvenience.


Well it may be the case that earlier sittings of the exam were much more reliant upon the lectures, but such a huge variation would surprise me. Literally 95% of the questions (as far as I could tell) in this sitting were answered directly in the Outline, and the other 5% I was probably just unable to locate properly. (Of course, some may have been answered in the lectures exclusively, but not enough to be significant).

I guess my point is that, going into this exam, one has very little idea what to expect and people are interested to know how to best allocate their precious time. There's very few resources available and it comes down to people like you and me posting about it. One doesn't know whether to memorize/takes notes from the lectures (which would take ages - esp in my case where I haven't watched em since November!), or whether a good understanding of the Outline alone is sufficient. Yes, there may have been some questions here or there in the lectures, and yes I agree it's good to give broad advice that doesn't risk sending someone down the wrong path. BUT I think by and large my advice would be to focus on the Outline because you will be sure to pass if you can navigate it properly, at least if June's sitting is anything to go by. I wouldn't advise people (now that I've sat for the thing) to worry about the lectures at all, at least in terms of the NYLE (of course, one needs to watch them in their entirety for the NYLC).

Agree with your other two points wholeheartedly.

nada123

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby nada123 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:56 am

When can we expect results to be released? Do they usually notify you via email or will you need to log in to check?

Thanks

nicola.kirwan

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby nicola.kirwan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 am

So...I passed afterall. :) I feel a little silly now, but still feel that it would be better to err on the side of caution with this test and do a little prep beyond the videos.

nicola.kirwan wrote:
fa1493 wrote:definitely just failed that lol


Pretty much how I feel.

So I was late to the game and didn't realize the pdf wasn't searchable until about 45 minutes prior to the exam. Then got the searchable large print version, only to see that now it's a violation to use Ctrl+F. I have to admit, I thought that was so ridiculous that my first instinct was to say whatever, but you know, reason and ethics saved the day and I instead just wrote a short outline of the table of contents so I could easily jump to the pages of the relevant subject. Or maybe reason and ethics tanked the day, as I did not prepare in the way necessary to easily get away with not being able to quickly look up specific answers. Though I did actually listen to the videos...mostly.

Such an annoyance. The NYLE is very passable, but as it is not based on the common law, it is not intuitive and does require real studying, imo.

fa1493

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby fa1493 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am

Results out. Passed as well.....thank God.

I guess 20 questions wrong is way more than you think it is :D

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 am

Woohoo! Passed too. You guys had me a little nervous, but yeah that was pretty easy.

Now all I got is the MPRE in August and the final pieces of paperwork. Then I can file my application!

malena1000987

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby malena1000987 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm

WheatThins wrote:
yungthug92 wrote:URGENT QUESTION: If we use a video fast forwarder, will we still pass the electronic audit of time spent watching the course materials? NEED to know...


I sped of my videos, was audited, and had to do the whole thing over again.



Hey there, so you were audited, did you receive notice of charges, did you hire a counsel or dealt with the problem by yourself ? did they report to the F&C Committee?? Share your experience, pls.

And which state was that??

Or if some one else had the same experience with NYLE , meaning sped up the videos and received notice of charges, pls share experience or DM.

Thank you in advance.

User avatar
mtf612

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby mtf612 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Reviving this dead thread.

Anyone else suffering through these videos? I thought the Family Law I lectures were bad, only to be impressed by the way the lecturer in Family Law II kept pretending he read through the outline - but clearly was just teaching whatever he wanted to teach :roll:

User avatar
frasier

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:24 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby frasier » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:20 am

August 2019 update: I don't believe that the prior comments about how ALL answers to the video questions are found in the outline is true anymore. Several times now I have found that the presenter will specifically note that they are giving some supplemental fact (i.e., not on the outline), and then that fact / issue is the subject of the MC question.

Additionally, some of the questions are just blatantly not addressed in either the video or the outline.

VERY frustrating to be sent back to the first few minutes of a 20 min long video, see that the question was NOT actually addressed, and then be forced to sit through the entire rest of the video.

I'm okay with the idea that this is relevant material for new NY lawyers, but this is an incredibly dumb way to present information.

bardc123

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby bardc123 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:23 am

People who took it recently...would you say the exam questions were ALL hypos or a combination of hypos/straight law questions that can easily be found in the PDF ?

JDB90

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby JDB90 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:41 pm

bardc123 wrote:People who took it recently...would you say the exam questions were ALL hypos or a combination of hypos/straight law questions that can easily be found in the PDF ?


Also interested in knowing this. The practice questions were purely legal and I didn't get to practice a single hypo-style question. I was also able to find all of the practice question answers quite easily in the outline by flipping to the appropriate section.

I saw on another thread that the more recent NYLE exams offer many long and complicated hypos ala the MBE. Is that true? Did anyone take this thing over the summer and can he/she comment on the most recent exam?

I only had this one little NYLE practice exam to review and I worry it is not representative of what I'm going to face on the 26th.

Besides highlighting the printed outline, I see almost no value in studying the outline's substantive information, it's too much to try to memorize. Having said that, I would appreciate hearing 2019 test-takers' advice on passing this thing. I really hope to only have to take it once.


I also second frasier's observation that:

frasier wrote:I don't believe that the prior comments about how ALL answers to the video questions are found in the outline is true anymore.


The interim quiz questions in the video were only reflective in the outline about 60% of the time. Many questions were not in the outline and were either solely in the lecture or were not (at least verbatim, only inferred) in either the outline or lecture.

Any words of wisdom from 2019 NYLE test takers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

aki06

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby aki06 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Other than practice questions on the NYBE webpage, is there anywhere else i can find practice Qs for NYLE?

bbee1917

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby bbee1917 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Is it OK to pause the video sometimes and/or rewind it? Nobody's mentioned if this is allowed or not.

JDB90

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 am

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby JDB90 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:33 pm

bbee1917 wrote:Is it OK to pause the video sometimes and/or rewind it? Nobody's mentioned if this is allowed or not.


If you are taking the course you may pause and rewind, I didn't see anything in the instructions that say you cannot. If you rewind, you will need to rewatch the entire segment that you rewound, you cannot fast forward back to where you were.

I think the only thing that the board reviews and will penalize is if you use a browser "video speed up" plugin to force the video to play faster. NYLC makes you watch it at a 100% playback, no faster.

Also, just FYI, if you finish the entire NYLC, you can rewatch all the videos back on the BOLE portal (if you want to review anything).


Anyone taking this thing next week? Any seasoned NYLE takers have any advice to impart? I feel like I haven't studied enough.

bardc123

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby bardc123 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm

JDB90 wrote:
bbee1917 wrote:Is it OK to pause the video sometimes and/or rewind it? Nobody's mentioned if this is allowed or not.


If you are taking the course you may pause and rewind, I didn't see anything in the instructions that say you cannot. If you rewind, you will need to rewatch the entire segment that you rewound, you cannot fast forward back to where you were.

I think the only thing that the board reviews and will penalize is if you use a browser "video speed up" plugin to force the video to play faster. NYLC makes you watch it at a 100% playback, no faster.

Also, just FYI, if you finish the entire NYLC, you can rewatch all the videos back on the BOLE portal (if you want to review anything).


Anyone taking this thing next week? Any seasoned NYLE takers have any advice to impart? I feel like I haven't studied enough.



I will be taking it this week...im just tabbing my PDF outline. Maybe I will be watching some of the videos again. Not sure how I else I should be studying for it.

tiffannybrown

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Postby tiffannybrown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Anyone else find that test.... a little hard?

I did all of the practice questions from the 2016 test, and completed it with 30 minutes to spare, and only got one wrong. I thought I was going to pass this with flying colors...

A lot of those questions I thought were so incredibly poorly worded. And then when I went to look for a lot of the answers, i realized a lot of the information in the packet was poorly worded.

Multiple choice always does this to me. Its too easy to overthink.

I stand by statement that multiple choice is a moronic way to tests attorney's knowledge of the law, unless you are going to ask incredibly straight forward questions, ie. "what is the SOL for ____"



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.