Test site for NY BAR/ Using my brother's address for the bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tathagatagarbha

New

Test site for NY BAR/ Using my brother's address for the bar

Post by tathagatagarbha » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:36 pm

I live in DC and go to school in DC. Planning to take NY Bar this summer, but will be working in DC after graduation.

My brother lives in Queens, so was hoping to stay at my brother's place and take the bar in Manhattan.
Would it be okay for me to put my brother's address in the application to secure a spot in the Javits Center?
Would it pose any problem later on?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Test site for NY BAR/ Using my brother's address for the bar

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:42 pm

FWIW, I was an out-of-state July applicant and I was offered the option to take the exam at the javits center, so you may not even need to bother. Just make sure you apply to take the exam early and don't drag your feet when you get the notification to pick your testing location.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Don't lie about an address on your bar application. I realize it's not on the C&F portion, but that just seems like an exceedingly bad idea.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:35 am

tathagatagarbha wrote:I live in DC and go to school in DC. Planning to take NY Bar this summer, but will be working in DC after graduation.

My brother lives in Queens, so was hoping to stay at my brother's place and take the bar in Manhattan.
Would it be okay for me to put my brother's address in the application to secure a spot in the Javits Center?

If you use a Queens address, are you sure you would be assigned to Javits (also saw White Plains listed)? Queens is in the 2nd Department (Manhattan is 1st department) and from what I saw on the website, you're assigned to a test center based on residence. When I took NY bar, I lived in Jersey City, which would've kicked me to Albany. Fortunately, I worked in Manhattan; therefore, I was able to get assigned to Javits (about 30 minutes from my apartment).

As stated, I would not lie about my address. After all, you have to list your residences on the character and fitness application. I'm assuming everyone is still interviewed as part of the admission process. You don't want to have to explain a residency white lie or show proof of address.

synergy

New

Post by synergy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:33 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
tathagatagarbha wrote:I live in DC and go to school in DC. Planning to take NY Bar this summer, but will be working in DC after graduation.

If you use a Queens address, are you sure you would be assigned to Javits (also saw White Plains listed)? Queens is in the 2nd Department (Manhattan is 1st department) and from what I saw on the website, you're assigned to a test center based on residence. When I took NY bar, I lived in Jersey City, which would've kicked me to Albany. Fortunately, I worked in Manhattan; therefore, I was able to get assigned to Javits (about 30 minutes from my apartment).

As stated, I would not lie about my address. After all, you have to list your residences on the character and fitness application. I'm assuming everyone is still interviewed as part of the admission process. You don't want to have to explain a residency white lie or show proof of address.
For the two out of state applicants who took the test at the javitz center, did you both take the exam with a laptop? I had always heard that you can only take it at the javitz center by hand writing the essay and if you wanted to use your laptop, youd have to go to albany.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 pm

synergy wrote:
AspiringCALawyer wrote:

For the two out of state applicants who took the test at the javitz center, did you both take the exam with a laptop? I had always heard that you can only take it at the javitz center by hand writing the essay and if you wanted to use your laptop, youd have to go to albany.
That's ridiculous. Of course I used a laptop, as well as the other 2,500 other people who sat for the exam there.

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:52 pm

synergy wrote:
AspiringCALawyer wrote:

I sat at the Javitz center in july 15' and I was an out of state applicant. I used my laptop. However, I was only able to sit at Javitz because I immediately picked my test center secondes after I received the email. 15mn later or so it was already full for laptop users.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:03 pm

For what it's worth: I also just responded right away (not seconds, but less than an hour) to the email and sat in Javitz with a laptop in an earlier year than the previous posters. But I couldn't imagine it matters too much what address you put, I just literally did not have a stable NYC apartment at the time and was willing to risk Albany/the horse racing place (remembering all your previous addresses for C&F can be a real pain and sort of arbitrary with dorms/overlapping permanent addresses etc., but as someone else mentioned, make a note if you do "move" there).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”