July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

pleasepass
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby pleasepass » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:06 pm

My anxiety is extremely high at the moment. I don't think I'll be able to look when the results are posted.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4737
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm

I know you guys are all waiting for scores, but can someone explain Virginia c&f to me like I'm 5? What information should I be gathering now as a 3L? When is the best time to submit? How many references should I have? I remember seeing one guy say his references were never even called, and then someone else said seven of hers hadn't responded. Do all prior employers need to send back a form or something?

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby ironbmike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you guys are all waiting for scores, but can someone explain Virginia c&f to me like I'm 5? What information should I be gathering now as a 3L? When is the best time to submit? How many references should I have? I remember seeing one guy say his references were never even called, and then someone else said seven of hers hadn't responded. Do all prior employers need to send back a form or something?


I'll answer since you're a fellow Warren Zevon fan.

It's pretty self-explanatory. If you have any tickets in the past, start tracking them down. Start scanning the docs you need. Put in request to get birth certificate, etc. Get fingerprints done.

Basically just go through their forms and checklist and make sure you have everything. It's best to start early so that it's not a headache later.

My references say they have not been contacted. I haven't heard anything from C&F. I haven't heard anything from prior employers.

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:42 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you guys are all waiting for scores, but can someone explain Virginia c&f to me like I'm 5? What information should I be gathering now as a 3L? When is the best time to submit? How many references should I have? I remember seeing one guy say his references were never even called, and then someone else said seven of hers hadn't responded. Do all prior employers need to send back a form or something?


I had a relatively tame application in that I had no student loans to report, no court documents, etc. If you have to document any of those sorts of things, you will want to get started on your application sooner rather than later. I completed most of mine over winter break. That made my life a whole lot easier because I didn't have to worry about it once my clinic work picked up in my final semester.

Additionally, unless the VBBE changes something, your fingerprints for the exam have to be done in ink. At least for me, it was harder than expected to find somewhere where I could get ink fingerprints, as many organizations now use digital fingerprinting, so you may want to look into that as well.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 7050
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby First Offense » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 am

doctoroflaw91 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you guys are all waiting for scores, but can someone explain Virginia c&f to me like I'm 5? What information should I be gathering now as a 3L? When is the best time to submit? How many references should I have? I remember seeing one guy say his references were never even called, and then someone else said seven of hers hadn't responded. Do all prior employers need to send back a form or something?


I had a relatively tame application in that I had no student loans to report, no court documents, etc. If you have to document any of those sorts of things, you will want to get started on your application sooner rather than later. I completed most of mine over winter break. That made my life a whole lot easier because I didn't have to worry about it once my clinic work picked up in my final semester.

Additionally, unless the VBBE changes something, your fingerprints for the exam have to be done in ink. At least for me, it was harder than expected to find somewhere where I could get ink fingerprints, as many organizations now use digital fingerprinting, so you may want to look into that as well.

Mine was digital and there wasn't a problem.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4737
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I guess what I was thinking of was providing contact info for each supervisor. I was in the military and a lot of people I worked for are constantly moving and may be out of touch for months at a stretch. Just hoping to avoid a delay because my ex-boss is deployed to Iraq and can't fax back some form or something

User avatar
lovelydarkanddeep
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby lovelydarkanddeep » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:46 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I guess what I was thinking of was providing contact info for each supervisor. I was in the military and a lot of people I worked for are constantly moving and may be out of touch for months at a stretch. Just hoping to avoid a delay because my ex-boss is deployed to Iraq and can't fax back some form or something


Darling, we get that you've got questions, and we've all been there....however, would you mind starting a February 2017/July 2017 Thread? Every time you or someone else posts about your questions the rest of us have a near heart attack. Thank you kindly, one day you'll understand our very precarious mindset.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4737
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Yeah, my bad. Sorry all

sarahjane10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby sarahjane10 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:56 pm

So I received an email last month about VBBE needing some additional info for my C&F. Should this give me hope or should I not read too much into it?

pleasepass
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby pleasepass » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:21 pm

sarahjane10 wrote:So I received an email last month about VBBE needing some additional info for my C&F. Should this give me hope or should I not read too much into it?


Hope for what?

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:38 pm

First Offense wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you guys are all waiting for scores, but can someone explain Virginia c&f to me like I'm 5? What information should I be gathering now as a 3L? When is the best time to submit? How many references should I have? I remember seeing one guy say his references were never even called, and then someone else said seven of hers hadn't responded. Do all prior employers need to send back a form or something?


I had a relatively tame application in that I had no student loans to report, no court documents, etc. If you have to document any of those sorts of things, you will want to get started on your application sooner rather than later. I completed most of mine over winter break. That made my life a whole lot easier because I didn't have to worry about it once my clinic work picked up in my final semester.

Additionally, unless the VBBE changes something, your fingerprints for the exam have to be done in ink. At least for me, it was harder than expected to find somewhere where I could get ink fingerprints, as many organizations now use digital fingerprinting, so you may want to look into that as well.

Mine was digital and there wasn't a problem.


Well damn. Must have been an old rule then? I heard that from a previous bar taker.

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 pm

I keep looking back at one of the old posts in the thread that lists the anticipated vs. actual release dates. Some release dates were a day or two early, but I'm not holding out hope.

pleasepass
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby pleasepass » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:50 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:I keep looking back at one of the old posts in the thread that lists the anticipated vs. actual release dates. Some release dates were a day or two early, but I'm not holding out hope.


I posted that, found it on the 2015 thread. It has done nothing but make me lose sleep and become completely unproductive today.

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

pleasepass wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:I keep looking back at one of the old posts in the thread that lists the anticipated vs. actual release dates. Some release dates were a day or two early, but I'm not holding out hope.


I posted that, found it on the 2015 thread. It has done nothing but make me lose sleep and become completely unproductive today.


Oh, I hear you haha. And thanks for sharing that with this year's thread; had you not posted that, I probably would have started checking/freaking out over a week ago.

sarahjane10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby sarahjane10 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm

pleasepass wrote:
sarahjane10 wrote:So I received an email last month about VBBE needing some additional info for my C&F. Should this give me hope or should I not read too much into it?


Hope for what?


That they took the time to follow up on my C&F because I passed vs not bothering if I failed

1down1togo
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby 1down1togo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

sarahjane10 wrote:
pleasepass wrote:
sarahjane10 wrote:So I received an email last month about VBBE needing some additional info for my C&F. Should this give me hope or should I not read too much into it?


Hope for what?


That they took the time to follow up on my C&F because I passed vs not bothering if I failed


Perhaps? I know they split the results into: passed w/ no c/f issues, and passed WITH c/f issues. So maybe they were trying to determine which list to put you on?

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby ironbmike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:55 pm

sarahjane10 wrote:
pleasepass wrote:
sarahjane10 wrote:So I received an email last month about VBBE needing some additional info for my C&F. Should this give me hope or should I not read too much into it?


Hope for what?


That they took the time to follow up on my C&F because I passed vs not bothering if I failed


If you wouldn't mind, what email address does it come from? I want to make sure one doesn't/didn't go into my spam folder.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 pm

lovelydarkanddeep wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I guess what I was thinking of was providing contact info for each supervisor. I was in the military and a lot of people I worked for are constantly moving and may be out of touch for months at a stretch. Just hoping to avoid a delay because my ex-boss is deployed to Iraq and can't fax back some form or something


Darling, we get that you've got questions, and we've all been there....however, would you mind starting a February 2017/July 2017 Thread? Every time you or someone else posts about your questions the rest of us have a near heart attack. Thank you kindly, one day you'll understand our very precarious mindset.


How does one go about starting a February 2017/July 2017 thread?

User avatar
ToC51
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby ToC51 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

It kills me that there isn't even a consistent time that the results come out. Though to be honest, even if there was I would still be refreshing the page every 30 seconds. Here is to another unproductive day at work! :D

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 am

justonemoregame wrote:How does one go about starting a February 2017/July 2017 thread?



You just start a new thread. There may be one already- I did not check.

crookiz
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby crookiz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:16 am

Unfortunately, I see a pattern in the release dates and times. I would love for it to be today or yesterday but the pattern I see suggests it will indeed be tomorrow. If I were a gambling man I would put my money on that. Any takers?

User avatar
ToC51
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby ToC51 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:27 am

I don't know about that, but how much do you want to bet that someone has already called asking about the results?

crookiz
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby crookiz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 am

I think you're right. If people couldn't follow the dress code instructions then I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't follow the "don't call" instructions.

Pleasepleasepasspass
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby Pleasepleasepasspass » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 am

I wonder if the fact that when you click on the latest news button it says bar results will be released on October 21 means that I can quit freaking out today?

I think that boat has already sailed but maybe...

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:39 am

crookiz wrote:I think you're right. If people couldn't follow the dress code instructions then I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't follow the "don't call" instructions.


This continues to amaze me. I was shocked to see people in yoga pants. I hate the dress code too, but the VBBE couldn't make it any more clear that formal dress is required.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests