July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

miasanmia

Re: July 2016 Virginia Bar Thread

Postby miasanmia » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

kcdc1 wrote:Yeah....definitely not confident.

Let's say you get ~5 subparts dead-wrong (wrong rule leads to wrong analysis and wrong conclusion), but otherwise write reasonably cogent essays and do decently on the MBE. Is that a passing effort?

I certainly hope so. I got an entire essay dead wrong because I thought it was safe to dedicate time away from essay topics that hadn't been tested in a decade. :|
And I'm sure I botched some sub-parts too. I refuse to check anything else because it'll just add unnecessary anxiety.

On a happier note, everyone I met at the test center was super nice even on some of the most stressful days of our lives. Thanks (and sorry) to everyone who humored me while I used small talk to fight off the panic attacks.

crookiz

Postby crookiz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:28 pm

I didn't see anything wrong with the speech on the second day about the dress code. We were all informed about it beforehand and we all made the choice to take the exam in Virginia.

With that said I think the dress code is ridiculous but since it was the rule, I adhered to it. I was surprised on Tuesday morning to see people there in street clothes and club dresses and I was even more surprised to see people on Wednesday afternoon wearing sneakers and other items not in accordance with the dress code. It seems like the warning given that morning had no teeth.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

crookiz wrote:I didn't see anything wrong with the speech on the second day about the dress code. We were all informed about it beforehand and we all made the choice to take the exam in Virginia.

With that said I think the dress code is ridiculous but since it was the rule, I adhered to it. I was surprised on Tuesday morning to see people there in street clothes and club dresses and I was even more surprised to see people on Wednesday afternoon wearing sneakers and other items not in accordance with the dress code. It seems like the warning given that morning had no teeth.

I don't mind them enforcing it. But I don't need some condescending speech as if they're God's gift to us and we're lucky that they're letting us become lawyers.

crookiz

Postby crookiz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:30 pm

ironbmike wrote:I don't mind them enforcing it. But I don't need some condescending speech as if they're God's gift to us and we're lucky that they're letting us become lawyers.

Excellent point. That has been my experience with them from day one. I did find it ironic how they placed so many constraints on us but none of the sessions started on time. At least we weren't taking it in D.C. I heard they had a bad day.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Did your hearts skip a little tiny beat when the lights flickered during the thunderstorm?

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Did your hearts skip a little tiny beat when the lights flickered during the thunderstorm?

I kind of wanted it to happen just for the hilarity.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:18 pm

ironbmike wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Did your hearts skip a little tiny beat when the lights flickered during the thunderstorm?

I kind of wanted it to happen just for the hilarity.

Ditto.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:30 am

I can't believe what kind of balls it takes to show up in casual wear. I thought I was a rebel because I didn't put my jacket on for day two.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:31 am

anon sequitur wrote:I can't believe what kind of balls it takes to show up in casual wear. I thought I was a rebel because I didn't put my jacket on for day two.

What was the offender(s) wearing?

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:29 am

I heard that someone had shown up in a business shirt and shorts. And I know someone wore yoga pants. But who knows if they got medical clearance? I feel bad for the women who were pregnant taking this test ... it's stressful enough without that worry.

Congrats everyone! I tried to stay away - wish I hadn't, I missed good pointers - but I'm glad that it's over, and hopefully one and done.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:09 am

ironbmike wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:I can't believe what kind of balls it takes to show up in casual wear. I thought I was a rebel because I didn't put my jacket on for day two.

Saw a girl in a really short (not court appropriate) skirt, a girl in a bright pink underarmour shirt, some people in loafers, etc. No lobster suits.

1down1togo

Postby 1down1togo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:10 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Saw a girl in a really short (not court appropriate) skirt, a girl in a bright pink underarmour shirt, some people in loafers, etc. No lobster suits.

Loafers? What's wrong with loafers? I wear loafers to court everyday. I'm wearing them right now and I'm about to go into court in 21 minutes, wearing loafers.

crookiz

Postby crookiz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:35 pm

I think loafers are fine. I saw sandals and sneakers. Also there were a few sleeveless tops and flowery blouses. There is definitely some gender differential when it comes to what is expected. The dress code is court room attire there were plenty of things that might not be appropriate in a court.

I loved the little jab the proctor gave at California. It reminded me of the east coast/west coast hip hop feud years ago.

supervik80

Postby supervik80 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:00 pm

crookiz wrote:I think loafers are fine. I saw sandals and sneakers. Also there were a few sleeveless tops and flowery blouses. There is definitely some gender differential when it comes to what is expected. The dress code is court room attire there were plenty of things that might not be appropriate in a court.

I loved the little jab the proctor gave at California. It reminded me of the east coast/west coast hip hop feud years ago.

Yeah, that was annoying. I am barred in CA, and sat for the bar exam there. Nobody wore a costume and it was a well run exam. That old lady needs to get over herself.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 pm

supervik80 wrote:
crookiz wrote:I think loafers are fine. I saw sandals and sneakers. Also there were a few sleeveless tops and flowery blouses. There is definitely some gender differential when it comes to what is expected. The dress code is court room attire there were plenty of things that might not be appropriate in a court.

Yeah, that was annoying. I am barred in CA, and sat for the bar exam there. Nobody wore a costume and it was a well run exam. That old lady needs to get over herself.

I don't mind them crapping on CA. CA is a disgrace to the country TBH.

supervik80

Postby supervik80 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:07 pm

ironbmike wrote:
supervik80 wrote:

The state is like the 5th largest economy in the world on its own, but yeah, quite the disgrace.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 pm

supervik80 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
supervik80 wrote:

The state is like the 5th largest economy in the world on its own, but yeah, quite the disgrace.

Yeah I agree.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 am

When are we going to hear c&f?

pleasepass

Postby pleasepass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:41 am

For those of you who are brave enough to look...William & Mary has posted model answers to the essay questions for July 2016.

http://law.wm.edu/academics/howto/prepa ... pastexams/

lovelydarkanddeep

Postby lovelydarkanddeep » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:20 am

pleasepass wrote:For those of you who are brave enough to look...William & Mary has posted model answers to the essay questions for July 2016.

JFC, yeah, a word of advice to those of you lucky enough to have stopped having bar nightmares, don't look at this.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:31 am

pleasepass wrote:For those of you who are brave enough to look...William & Mary has posted model answers to the essay questions for July 2016.

Why do they even release this now? To torture us?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 am

ironbmike wrote:

Feb gunners gonna gun. I hope I'm not a Feb gunner. :cry:

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Do not speak of such things...

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:23 pm

ironbmike wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Do not speak of such things...

There is no way in hell that I could bring myself to look at those answers.

mimi2255

Postby mimi2255 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Anyone still waiting on character & fitness?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”