Taking bar exam cross-country; when to travel Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
stella55

New

Taking bar exam cross-country; when to travel

Post by stella55 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:19 pm

I am living on the East Coast but taking the CA bar exam. I'm not sure when to fly out to CA before the exam. I want to minimize lost study time, and jet lag, and make sure I can get into a routine. Does anyone have any advice?

rhs67858

New

Re: Taking bar exam cross-country; when to travel

Post by rhs67858 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Interested in this too. I am coming back around July 18th. Although, I'll have my car in Georgia, so I am contemplating shipping it back, or driving cross country from GA to back to CA.

caveman2

Bronze

Post by caveman2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:18 pm

From my experience, getting there two days in advance is most ideal.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:54 am

stella55 wrote:I am living on the East Coast but taking the CA bar exam. I'm not sure when to fly out to CA before the exam. I want to minimize lost study time, and jet lag, and make sure I can get into a routine. Does anyone have any advice?
I traveled from Illinois to Ontario for CA February 2016 bar. Given the unpredictability of winter weather, I arrived a week (the Tuesday) before the exam (according to hotel, a lot of people come on Sunday). It gave me a chance to get acclimated (weather, time zone) and discover my surroundings (food options), including a visit to the Ontario Convention Center the weekend before to look around. I even timed walking from the hotel to Convention Center (I'm anal).

As I contemplated what date to arrive, I had to take into account how to continue my studies. I did the Barbri course online; therefore, with a laptop I would still have access to those materials. The challenge was which books to bring. I finally settled on the notes outline, Convisor Mini Review and the CA Essay book (I tore out all the essays I had already written to make it lighter). I also brought the PT that I still had to do per my personal study plan. It was very heavy in my backpack; however, I made it.

If I have to repeat in July, I would probably not arrive until the Friday or Saturday before, if I were returning to Ontario. If I pick LA Convention Center, I might arrive a little earlier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”