California February 2016 Bar Exam (Westside For Life) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AspiringCALawyer

New

Re: California February 2016 Bar Exam - California Love Part 2 (Don't discuss specific questions)

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:56 am

a male human wrote:
Jimmyg08 wrote:It is totally normal. It took at least a few weeks to return to what seemed normal because there is no such thing as normal. Until results come out then a few weeks before they come out it gets worse - but I imagine when we pass it will be better than whatever normal was before.

It's a mental takeover but I jumped back into the gym and into family time and once everyone is asleep I walk through the exam hoping I did enough.
Yes, this is accurate. First and last months are the worst. In between you just feel a general sense of malaise where you've kind of accepted the wait and potential fate at hand. Last couple weeks will get your heart anxious again, like a thorn that tumbles around your ventricles.

If you pass, it's a huge relief, like an unplugged drain washing away your worries. The high does not last long, however, so don't plan a parade or anything. I gave my boss a thumb up when I found out, and he was even more excited than I was. The next hurdle is finding a job if you don't have one (or want a better one) or doing an even better job if you do.

I, for one, am still stuck in this purgatory since the high of May, 2014. I shall be your guide in this dark maze that races you to one golden handcuff after another.
When I tell friends and family that results won't be out until May 13, they're always surprised it takes so long. I'm just now getting my brain back after the exam. Initially, various rules keep running around in my head, especially if triggered by something I saw on TV or a real life situation. Since I'm unemployed (accepted a buyout package from my former employer, effective 1/1/16), I no longer have a routine. Meanwhile, I'm starting my long distance job hunt and relocation plan. Plus, I've resumed my workout schedule (abandoned during the stress of my bar study).

AspiringCALawyer

New

Re: California February 2016 Bar Exam - California Love Part 2 (Don't discuss specific questions)

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:03 am

BrokenMouse wrote:I was able to take some time off work after the bar and I had planned on a trip. But that got cancelled and now I am just gaming like this is the last time I'll ever play another game (which is probably true). PS4, XB1, PC, you name it I probably have it.

How's everyone else spending their time until May? Jobs? Vacation? Trips? Plans?
I promised myself a gift or a trip as a reward for all the time devoted to study. Plus, I had effectively skipped Christmas, New Year's and my birthday (January). Since I already had to travel to CA from Illinois for the exam, I considered that as the trip (spent 2 weeks in the area) and got a belated bday gift for myself. Plus, since I'm unemployed, I needed a cost effective option anyway. It was a treat to walk on beach in February during the weekend after the exam before I returned to Illinois winter.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:40 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
a male human wrote:
Jimmyg08 wrote:It is totally normal. It took at least a few weeks to return to what seemed normal because there is no such thing as normal. Until results come out then a few weeks before they come out it gets worse - but I imagine when we pass it will be better than whatever normal was before.

It's a mental takeover but I jumped back into the gym and into family time and once everyone is asleep I walk through the exam hoping I did enough.
Yes, this is accurate. First and last months are the worst. In between you just feel a general sense of malaise where you've kind of accepted the wait and potential fate at hand. Last couple weeks will get your heart anxious again, like a thorn that tumbles around your ventricles.

If you pass, it's a huge relief, like an unplugged drain washing away your worries. The high does not last long, however, so don't plan a parade or anything. I gave my boss a thumb up when I found out, and he was even more excited than I was. The next hurdle is finding a job if you don't have one (or want a better one) or doing an even better job if you do.

I, for one, am still stuck in this purgatory since the high of May, 2014. I shall be your guide in this dark maze that races you to one golden handcuff after another.
When I tell friends and family that results won't be out until May 13, they're always surprised it takes so long. I'm just now getting my brain back after the exam. Initially, various rules keep running around in my head, especially if triggered by something I saw on TV or a real life situation. Since I'm unemployed (accepted a buyout package from my former employer, effective 1/1/16), I no longer have a routine. Meanwhile, I'm starting my long distance job hunt and relocation plan. Plus, I've resumed my workout schedule (abandoned during the stress of my bar study).
Why did they offer a buyout? I imagine any place that could afford a buyout would give you a decent runway (year or more), though?

I remember I got into a small car accident and Evidence rules popped up into my head. I didn't say anything that put the blame on me even though it was clearly my fault XD

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:58 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:I think if I pass the CA Bar I am going to buy myself something up to a $1000. I've bought enough video gaming crap already
Diamonds! :D :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:14 pm

a male human wrote:
AspiringCALawyer wrote:
a male human wrote:

Why did they offer a buyout? I imagine any place that could afford a buyout would give you a decent runway (year or more), though?

I remember I got into a small car accident and Evidence rules popped up into my head. I didn't say anything that put the blame on me even though it was clearly my fault XD
Buyout was to encourage people to quit before they started massive layoffs to cut costs. The enhanced severance amount was based on length of employment. The most I heard former co-workers getting was 18 months salary (30+ years). Minimum was about 7-8 months. One also got what one was typically eligible for (e.g., bonus, equity, etc.) One former co-worker lamented about how much tax he had to pay on his lump sum (about $250K). He had worked there 35 years.

RoseBuddy

New

Post by RoseBuddy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm

I know that we all passed, so it doesn't matter for us :) But has anyone been reading about the upcoming change to a two day CA bar exam? It looks like it will consist of 5 one hour essays and a 90 minute PT day 1 and then multiple choice day 2.

I like the idea of a 2 day test because I am exhausted by the 3rd day. But the idea of completing 5 one hour essays in one day, plus the PT seems stressful to me. And of course, it would still be hard to pass. I wonder how grading would change.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:53 pm

RoseBuddy wrote:I know that we all passed, so it doesn't matter for us :) But has anyone been reading about the upcoming change to a two day CA bar exam? It looks like it will consist of 5 one hour essays and a 90 minute PT day 1 and then multiple choice day 2.

I like the idea of a 2 day test because I am exhausted by the 3rd day. But the idea of completing 5 one hour essays in one day, plus the PT seems stressful to me. And of course, it would still be hard to pass. I wonder how grading would change.
To add my 2 cents, I would personally favor the 2-day option (as if they'd gave you the option of a 3-day or 2-day exam, imagine that).

A major difficulty in the CBX lies in the endurance and psychological aspects. That is, the exam lasts 18 hours, and there are two 3-hour PTs. While other attorney candidates across the nation are celebrating the end of their tribulations after the MBE, things are not so relaxed in CA. You gotta be hardcore and study another day.

Although someone brought up a point to me that Day 1 will filter out certain subjects that you can forget about for Day 3, that isn't necessarily true (may appear in crossovers or in the PT). Day 1 of the 2-day format will be similar to the 3-day counterpart in that you must anticipate any subject regardless. You may encounter subjects you don't like on Day 1, but those essays will be weighed less in the 2-day structure, compensating for any grievances of having to anticipate every subject. In either case, there is less to worry about after clearing Day 1.

The increase in the weighting of the MBE is also welcome in my view. Often, I find the essay grading to be rather arbitrary and the grading methodology unfair or at least biased against the examinee. The MBE is objective and much simpler (though not easy) to study for. Emphasizing the essay made sense because it better simulates real-life scenarios, but this change will give each format equal weight. Moreover, this will give the CA State Bar fewer excuses to delay the results with less written material to grade. The candidate's time and money are wasted on the waiting period and the length of the exam (due to, e.g., hotel fees, opportunity costs).

I don't know the rationale is behind this change. Do we want to attract more or better candidates here in light of falling admission standards? I believe the format change is an advantage to CA candidates in terms of logistics, unless a curve is imposed and makes things more difficult in a competitive way and/or the exam itself becomes harder or stricter with regard to its passing standard.

This is all speculation, however. At the end of the day, we'll have to wait to see what it's like.

For anyone thinking with the option to delay taking the exam, I would NOT delay it on purpose just to take the 2-day format. Might as well take care of it and become an attorney sooner than later. Plus you'll get legacy hipster bragging rights.

Zebra

New

Post by Zebra » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Essay 6: (UCC Contracts)
I did this essay first, and dedicated about 1 hour 10 mins to it. I did not think it was too difficult other than organization and flow, which I tend to struggle with sometimes in contracts essays that are not too straightforward. I did the opening statements of UCC controlling then formation (really brief on consideration since it was clear). I mentioned the disclaimer and said it was valid in this case. Was a bit confused as to whether it was a conditional acceptance, but made sure to touch upon this. Then got into discussion on damages (and how the disclaimer on the incidental damages was valid). I also mentioned in my analysis that the facts tended to show that the two had dealt with each other in the past. Ended up concluding that the supplier did not do anything wrong and should have had the ability to cure since they had no reason to think that what they supplied was defective and they did not know that the purchaser was relying on the product to avoid closing down.

I did NOT talk about torts defects in depth as some people mentioned since that analysis is a bit too in depth and I didn't think it was necessary considering the time crunch of the question.

What I missed:
Maybe could have done better analysis of the damages portion. Time started to push me towards the next essay and made me wrap up on this essay, however, I still believe I hit most of the points that were required to have a passing answer.

Score Prediction: 65+
Last edited by Zebra on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi guys (Again!)

Got a nasty 2 week long sinus infection the day after the bar till now, basically, and had to go back to work the Monday after the bar (2/29). Its been a rough 2 weeks :| and I kind of wish I still had spring break. :x

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:53 pm

RoseBuddy

New

Post by RoseBuddy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:21 pm

I definitely agree with you for the most part. Being done after the MBEs would be amazing! I also didn't think of the increase in weighting of the MBEs, which I bet would be helpful for a lot of test takers.

I am really curious the essays are going to remain pretty much the same, or if they are going to change them in some way. My first thought was that they might make them more difficult, but I guess there is no real reason to make them harder.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't matter for any of us, but I am interested to see what people say about this 2 day test once it's implemented.

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jimmyg08

New

Post by Jimmyg08 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 am

Friday May 13th - 6pm

The last two nights I had bar results dreams where I typed in my ID and failed again. It seem so real totally sucked. I am back at work full time I work at a civil litigation firm in Marin- it's my fifth year there and the work is cool however it seems pointless until bar results come. I know I did better in some respects than July but I did get an 80 on pt a which was only shattered by my 55 on pt b.

I hope that my story can be like a lot of others where I pass on the second try. Good luck all at the gym after cooking my wife rack of lamb and giving her pregnant self a 90 minute massage. Cheers

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:58 am

If I pass the bar I am buying an adjustable air-ride suspension for my '65 Chevy....so i can cruise all day nice and low ;)

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:19 pm

storge

New

Post by storge » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 pm

+1
BrokenMouse wrote:Friday the 13th... FML

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TXAtty

New

Post by TXAtty » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:21 am

essay and pt questions are posted if anyone needs a dose of anxiety and second guessing themselves this morning...

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm

TXAtty wrote:essay and pt questions are posted if anyone needs a dose of anxiety and second guessing themselves this morning...
Thanks for the heads up. I can't bear to revisit the questions yet. Another month to go before results. Ugh.

InTheWideLand I Walk

Bronze

Post by InTheWideLand I Walk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
TXAtty wrote:essay and pt questions are posted if anyone needs a dose of anxiety and second guessing themselves this morning...
Thanks for the heads up. I can't bear to revisit the questions yet. Another month to go before results. Ugh.

If this was the july cbx, we would have to wait two more months instead of one.

zenotheelder

New

Post by zenotheelder » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:42 am

Does anyone know the statistics on improving after the first test? Does everyone's or most people's score improve or go down?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

storge

New

Post by storge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:08 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote: If this was the july cbx, we would have to wait two more months instead of one.
[/quote]

I keep thinking the same to make myself feel better about the wait. Still can't help feeling impatient as I see other states release results weekly :cry:

vingonza

New

Post by vingonza » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Hoping someone will do a detailed analysis of the questions. Not in the mood to do it myself lol. One of my friends got an email from one timers with a semi-breakdown of the subject matter which pointed out that Essay 1 was strictly a Trusts essay since the question did not say "Answer according to CA law".

Metal_Inquisition

New

Post by Metal_Inquisition » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:58 pm

vingonza wrote:
Hoping someone will do a detailed analysis of the questions. Not in the mood to do it myself lol. One of my friends got an email from one timers with a semi-breakdown of the subject matter which pointed out that Essay 1 was strictly a Trusts essay since the question did not say "Answer according to CA law".
Just copying and pasting the e-mail from One-Timers in case anyone is interested. Especially after the Remedies/CA Civ Pro debates from a while back.

Essay 1 was strictly Trusts. How do we know? The call of the question did not say, “Answer according to California law.” Thus, the examiners were not asking about Wills.

Essay 2 - Torts

Essay 3 - P.R.

Essay 4 - Remedies

Essay 5 – California Evidence

Essay 6 – U.C.C.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”