Pennsylvania - difference between simple assault and terroristic threat Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
caveman2

Bronze

Pennsylvania - difference between simple assault and terroristic threat

Post by caveman2 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:10 am

What's the main difference between simple assault and a terroristic threat in PA crim law? You can commit a simple assault by "attempting to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury" via a threat, but you can commit a terroristic threat by "a direct or indirect communication to commit a crime of violence with the intent to terrorize another." Those kind of sound like the same thing to me. Any thoughts on this?

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Re: Pennsylvania - difference between simple assault and terroristic threat

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:51 am

I am not sure on this, but I remember from THEMIS' graded essay question that one way to draw this hair-splitting distinction the PA Bar Examiners used one year (yeah, apparently this was tested) was when the defendant threatened another with a gun, but did NOT put her finger on the trigger.

Apparently that was the difference between simple assault (finger NOT on trigger) and terroristic threat (finger ON trigger).

caveman2

Bronze

Re: Pennsylvania - difference between simple assault and terroristic threat

Post by caveman2 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Wow...that is ridiculous.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”