Evidence question: admit settlement offers? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Evidence question: admit settlement offers?

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Settlement offers are not admissible to prove liability, I understand that. But what about "mixed settlement statements"? I recently came across this sample essay question in Jeff Adachi's Bar Breaker book...in relevant part:

"Paul testified that after his suit was brought, an officer of Helico not only offered to settle the action, but also admitted during settlement negotiations that the company agreed with Paul that the helicopter was defectively designed."

1) Did the court properly admit the testimony of Paul?

I answered that the specific settlement offer was barred because of extrinsic policy reasons. But I also wrote that any statement of liability was not barred because it is not part of the settlement offer. And that the court could admit that limited portion as hearsay (admission of party opponent, statement against interest).

But the sample answer says the entire issue of the settlement offer cannot be admitted. It makes no distinction. And Barbri's CMR does not mention any distinction either. So am I imagining a distinction that does not really exist? Am I confusing this with the physician-patient privilege? (where statements made for treatment purposes are excluded, but other statements can still be admitted)

THE_U

Bronze

Re: Evidence question: admit settlement offers?

Post by THE_U » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 pm

The only wrinkle that I can think of for settlement offers is that there must be an indication that a party is going to make a claim and that the claim is in dispute as to validity/amount.

If you meet those two the exclusionary rule applies. If not, then you can offer the evidence.

Are you maybe confusing this with the offer to pay medical expenses rule? With that, a bare offer to pay medical bills is not admissible but any admission or statement besides the naked offer IS admissible.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:09 pm

THE_U wrote:The only wrinkle that I can think of for settlement offers is that there must be an indication that a party is going to make a claim and that the claim is in dispute as to validity/amount.

If you meet those two the exclusionary rule applies. If not, then you can offer the evidence.

Are you maybe confusing this with the offer to pay medical expenses rule? With that, a bare offer to pay medical bills is not admissible but any admission or statement besides the naked offer IS admissible.

Yeah I think I erroneously added some exceptions from the "payment of medical bills" issue with the "settlement offers" issue. Thanks. :D

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 pm

So I just want to be clear, if a negligent defendant makes this statement to the injured plaintiff: "This car accident is my fault because I am drunk, will you accept $1000 to settle this issue?" That entire statement is barred because it is a settlement offer?

StaceyS

New

Post by StaceyS » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:56 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:So I just want to be clear, if a negligent defendant makes this statement to the injured plaintiff: "This car accident is my fault because I am drunk, will you accept $1000 to settle this issue?" That entire statement is barred because it is a settlement offer?
Yes...that is exactly right. To encourage settlements, they want to encourage parties to speak freely without fear of it being used against them.

So, anything said in conjunction with a settlement offer is off limits.

But, medical bills are different. If you say, "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have been smoking weed while I was eating a taco and driving. Can I please pay your medical bills?" All of the things you said...besides offering to pay the medical bills is admissible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sue

New

Post by Sue » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:09 pm

I guess you added the exception for the statements of fact made during settlement discussion in civil litigation with a government regulatory agency which are admissible in a later criminal case. e.g. corporate fraud case in which corporate officers make admissions of fact during civil settlement talk with SEC and are later prosecuted for crimes based on the same fact. This is a very narrow exception though.

StaceyS

New

Post by StaceyS » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Sue wrote:I guess you added the exception for the statements of fact made during settlement discussion in civil litigation with a government regulatory agency which are admissible in a later criminal case. e.g. corporate fraud case in which corporate officers make admissions of fact during civil settlement talk with SEC and are later prosecuted for crimes based on the same fact. This is a very narrow exception though.

That's true...almost forgot that. But I think it's rarely tested.

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 am

stranlaw wrote:
6TimeFailure wrote:So I just want to be clear, if a negligent defendant makes this statement to the injured plaintiff: "This car accident is my fault because I am drunk, will you accept $1000 to settle this issue?" That entire statement is barred because it is a settlement offer?
Yes...that is exactly right. To encourage settlements, they want to encourage parties to speak freely without fear of it being used against them.

But, medical bills are different. If you say, "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have been smoking weed while I was eating a taco and driving. Can I please pay your medical bills?" All of the things you said...besides offering to pay the medical bills is admissible.

not to pick nits, but I think there also needs to be some indication of a claim.

A was drunk and ran B over. B is lying in a hospital bed and A goes to visit him. B says "You son of a bitch, you're drunk again. This time I'm going to sue your ass." A then says "Oh crap, you got me, I'm drunk again. Will you take $1000 to settle" - then A's statement is excluded.

But if A just stumbles his drunk ass in to B's room and yells "I'm SO drunk. That was totally my fault. Will you take $1000 to settle?" Then the whole statement can come in.

Sue

New

Post by Sue » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:56 pm

bandenjamin wrote:
stranlaw wrote:

not to pick nits, but I think there also needs to be some indication of a claim.

A was drunk and ran B over. B is lying in a hospital bed and A goes to visit him. B says "You son of a bitch, you're drunk again. This time I'm going to sue your ass." A then says "Oh crap, you got me, I'm drunk again. Will you take $1000 to settle" - then A's statement is excluded.

But if A just stumbles his drunk ass in to B's room and yells "I'm SO drunk. That was totally my fault. Will you take $1000 to settle?" Then the whole statement can come in.
Right. Applies only if there is already a claim that is disputed as to the validity of the claim or amount of damages.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 pm

WHat about a question like this:

If you had your money stolen from your pocket, and you were going to file a report, and I said "hey I took it, here, I'll pay you back the money, don't file the case?" I think a question like that came up and they said it wasn't a settlement offer? Isn't it technically a settlement offer because you are trying to avoid the case and paying the money back instead?

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:WHat about a question like this:

If you had your money stolen from your pocket, and you were going to file a report, and I said "hey I took it, here, I'll pay you back the money, don't file the case?" I think a question like that came up and they said it wasn't a settlement offer? Isn't it technically a settlement offer because you are trying to avoid the case and paying the money back instead?
There is no dispute as the the validity of the claim or the amount. ("hey I took it")

Thus, there is no settlement offer and it can be admitted.

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:43 pm

THE_U wrote:

There is no dispute as the the validity of the claim or the amount. ("hey I took it")

So would it be different if I said "I didn't take it, but here is the full amount just don't file the case?"

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:42 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
THE_U wrote:

So would it be different if I said "I didn't take it, but here is the full amount just don't file the case?"
I am pretty sure.

Honestly, I don't think settlement offers really come up in the context of criminal cases (there is no money/damages at stake), so I feel like your hypo is a little confusing to think about.

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 pm

THE_U wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:
THE_U wrote:

I am pretty sure.

Honestly, I don't think settlement offers really come up in the context of criminal cases (there is no money/damages at stake), so I feel like your hypo is a little confusing to think about.
Oh sorry I was talking about civil cases

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”