...never have I been so depressed.

Failed attempts:
July 2001
Feb 2002
July 2002
July 2003
Feb 2015
July 2015

(graduated from an ABA school that straddles the 3rd/4th tier)

jeremydc

Bronze

Re: Just Failed CA Bar for the 6th Time...

Postby jeremydc » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:36 am

Why such a large gap in years between tests?

6 times huh? Don't stop now. You'll eventually get it bro!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:39 am

jeremydc wrote:Why such a large gap in years between tests?

6 times huh? Don't stop now. You'll eventually get it bro!

I didn't really know what I wanted to do after the 4th time I failed. I moved out of state and got a MSLIS degree (librarian). Then I moved out of the country for a short time. The best way I can put it is that I have been "wandering" for the past decade. :(

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:44 am

Here's the study program I did for each attempt:

July 2001 (full Barbri live lecture program)
Feb 2002 (self-study from Barbri notes)
July 2002 (full Barbri live lecture program)
July 2003 (self-study from Barbri notes + Essay Advantage)
Feb 2015 (self-study from 2013 Barbri materials + Barbri Lectures on DVD + Bar Breaker book by Jeff Adachi)
July 2015 (self-study from 2013 Barbri materials + Barbri Lectures on DVD + Bar Breaker book by Jeff Adachi)

I am thinking of using Baressay.com this time around.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 am

Please share in depth what youve been doing like study hours per day, the way you review the material etc. dont worry too much about failing everything will be fine

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:34 pm

mvp99 wrote:Please share in depth what youve been doing like study hours per day, the way you review the material etc. dont worry too much about failing everything will be fine

Honestly, I don't really remember much of my studying regiment for the first four attempts. After 2003, I tried to convince myself that I could be a happy person even without ever passing the bar. The truth is that the CA Bar exam has haunted me for over a decade...I just tried to hide from it.

For the Feb 2015 exam, I completed around 70% of the Barbri paced program and 60% of the Bar Breaker book. For July 2015, I would estimate 90% completion of each. Approximately 5 to 8 hours of study each day for 2 and half months.

Oh by the way, I also used the Kaplan program for the MBE portion (it used to be "PMBR").

One aspect that I have not focused on is comparing my old answers to passing answers. I plan to do that with BarEssays.com this time around. (When I took the exam the first four times, they did not automatically return answers. IIRC, they required test takers to appear at the bar office and pay a fee).

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:52 pm

what's the endgame here, friend?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm

pancakes3 wrote:what's the endgame here, friend?

Employment as a lawyer is a long shot for me given my graduation date (2001). So I am not trying to pass the bar in hopes of finding employment as a lawyer. The two main reasons I am still taking the Feb bar:

1. Validate my education and prove to my self I can pass it.
2. My mom. She is a senior citizen. Even though she has repeatedly said she is fine with whatever I do, bar passage or not, I know that deep down she wants me to officially be a lawyer. I want to pass this before she passes away. I have recurring dreams of being by her deathbed apologizing to her for never passing the bar. I do not want that to become a reality.

comet_halley

New

Postby comet_halley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:53 pm

really feel for you. I don't know what your grades were. But most people seem to neglect the importance of the model answers on the website. They are best studying materials for essay. Same topics and issues were tested again and again.

sometime the bar might become an enemy of life.
why not take the bar in an easy state since you don't actually need CA bar.

injun

New

Postby injun » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm

BARESSAYs is a great resource. I focused more on the model answers that the BARESSAY guy created rather than what the Bar offered. I felt that it helped me figure out what the special trigger words were. Also, I felt that it was very helpful to understand how to structure certain big ticket discussion like Negligence, Products Liability and so on.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:37 pm

try an easier state.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:try an easier state.

I've considered that. But it just won't work for me. If I had never taken the CA bar in the first place, then taking an easier bar would probably satisfy my goals. But since I have failed 6 times, passing an easier bar will not erase the haunting I've been dealing with.

Nybar2015

New

Postby Nybar2015 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:21 pm

It does not matter how many times you fail.. pls get that shit off your head. CA might not be toughest for one reason that many foreign grads and non-law grads can take it and the overall percentages looks low because of this reason.

Anyways I have failed bar twice but I think my biggest mistake in both attempts was not practicing enough essays and mbes.

So here's a tip from one of the members and this should work for most of the failers:

Foreign educated LL.M student here, Chinese. English is the second language, only taken contracts & sales, know nothing about Torts, Evidence, Property before this June...

Stay with Barbri during summer, completed over 85 percent courses, did more than 50 essays and over 2500 MBE & NY multiple choice questions.

Passed NYbar with 162 mbe.

This is to inspire you. Stop discouraging yourself. You never know your potential until you put in the effort. Good luck.

Nybar2015

New

Postby Nybar2015 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Failers do NOT see their mistakes and passers see their mistakes and get over it.

That's the only difference. We cannot decide why you are failing. You are the best person to judge what mistakes you are making.

Just introspect yourself and start attacking the exam. You can do it.

comet_halley

New

Postby comet_halley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Actually, CA is one of the most difficult states. On the scale of 200, you need a 144 to pass the CA bar, but only a 133 for NY.

NY bar might be overrated for its difficulty, but CA not.

Nybar2015 wrote:It does not matter how many times you fail.. pls get that shit off your head. CA might not be toughest for one reason that many foreign grads and non-law grads can take it and the overall percentages looks low because of this reason.

Anyways I have failed bar twice but I think my biggest mistake in both attempts was not practicing enough essays and mbes.

So here's a tip from one of the members and this should work for most of the failers:

Foreign educated LL.M student here, Chinese. English is the second language, only taken contracts & sales, know nothing about Torts, Evidence, Property before this June...

Stay with Barbri during summer, completed over 85 percent courses, did more than 50 essays and over 2500 MBE & NY multiple choice questions.

Passed NYbar with 162 mbe.

This is to inspire you. Stop discouraging yourself. You never know your potential until you put in the effort. Good luck.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:43 pm

comet_halley wrote:Actually, CA is one of the most difficult states. On the scale of 200, you need a 144 to pass the CA bar, but only a 133 for NY.

NY bar might be overrated for its difficulty, but CA not.

Interestingly, when I graduated I was considering taking the NY exam (I graduated from NYLS). But I couldn't see myself living in NY for an extended period of time, so I came back home to CA to take the exam here.

Anyhow, I'll be starting my bar review again this Monday.

Raiden

Bronze

Postby Raiden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Wishing you the best of luck. At the end of the day, this is just a test. And anyone can beat it.

Nybar2015

New

Postby Nybar2015 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

All I am trying to tell you - let's stop giving excuses for failing. If CA was sooooo tough then how is it that foreign grads with no US legal education are able to pass. Again stop looking into percentages.

There is a trick to these exams which is what we need to figure out. Off course we need to put in enough time and study smart to understand those tricks.

Nybar2015

New

Postby Nybar2015 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Raiden wrote:Wishing you the best of luck. At the end of the day, this is just a test. And anyone can beat it.

So true!!! Real test is finding your own clients than this bar exam!!!

At least exam is predictable. Most of the passers have said 60-70% is repeated from past exams. So if we do enough practice we should hit it.

comet_halley

New

Postby comet_halley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:17 pm

You need to admit the fact that some people are smarter than others. But everyone has his/her own strength.
Nybar2015 wrote:All I am trying to tell you - let's stop giving excuses for failing. If CA was sooooo tough then how is it that foreign grads with no US legal education are able to pass. Again stop looking into percentages.

There is a trick to these exams which is what we need to figure out. Off course we need to put in enough time and study smart to understand those tricks.

comet_halley

New

Postby comet_halley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:23 pm

It is easy said than done.
Sometimes you need to let it go and move on. It is not worthwhile putting so much time and effort into one exam unless you really need it. There is always an opportunity cost. You might be able to do other more meaningful things.
Raiden wrote:Wishing you the best of luck. At the end of the day, this is just a test. And anyone can beat it.

Nybar2015

New

Postby Nybar2015 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Be positive and work hard. Even a GENIUS is 99% hard work and 1% luck. Even Einstein has said that.

I am trying to encourage you and tell your mind if you put in 99% u can do it.

I shall put an end to my counselling.

Good luck!!!!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Isn't the new one like only 2 days? Maybe take that one?

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:19 am

Do not give up. Took me 3 tries, and I did it. As I've mentioned before, I attribute it to using real MBE questions, I used adaptibar religiously, and getting a good tutor that drilled me on essays and held me accountable.

If you need a $50 Adaptibar coupon, send me a private message with your email address.

Silver

Postby 2807 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:51 am

Get your last 2 tests together and take them to a trusted tutor.
You need someone to look at your work and tell you where to improve.
Self studying may be a problem.
Get the help.

And, keep at it bud.
Good for you.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?