Patent Bar Advice

engineer2law

Patent Bar Advice

Postby engineer2law » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Any advice on the best way to study? Do you suggest taking a course or just trying to study the MPEP on your own?

NY_Sea

Re: Patent Bar Advice

Postby NY_Sea » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:52 pm

engineer2law wrote:Any advice on the best way to study? Do you suggest taking a course or just trying to study the MPEP on your own?

I picked up an older version (2012) of the PLI course... Studied that and filled in for the changes in the AIA. I also did practice questions... A lot of practice questions. You will see at least 5-6 word for word repeats on the exam if you do enough practice questions.

Good luck!

dat209

Postby dat209 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:23 pm

NY_Sea wrote:
engineer2law wrote:Any advice on the best way to study? Do you suggest taking a course or just trying to study the MPEP on your own?

I picked up an older version (2012) of the PLI course... Studied that and filled in for the changes in the AIA. I also did practice questions... A lot of practice questions. You will see at least 5-6 word for word repeats on the exam if you do enough practice questions.

Good luck!

Agreed. Self-studied with Wysebridge, which is a low quality program, but probably good enough to get through. The key is to do a ton of questions so that you can recognize the repeats on the test, know the right answer right away, and quickly move on to the next question.

NY_Sea

Postby NY_Sea » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:29 pm

dat209 wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:

Good luck!

Agreed. Self-studied with Wysebridge, which is a low quality program, but probably good enough to get through. The key is to do a ton of questions so that you can recognize the repeats on the test, know the right answer right away, and quickly move on to the next question.

Mypatentbar.com has a bunch of old exams (both the AM and PM session) that I went through over and over and over again until I got 50/50 on almost all of them... Really does two things: 1) Shows you what they like to test on (appeals timeline after final rejection, how to get around 102/103 rejections, etc.) and 2) Actually reinforces the law for you if you read the explanations, cause everyone knows how dull reading MPEP sections is.

As far as I know, there's different versions of Wysebridge and a lot of it is actually copied from the outlines that are on Mypatentbar, except they updated them slightly to take the AIA into account. I wouldn't go much further than their bottom tiered price point. Check Mypatentbar, but take with a grain of salt that the site hasn't been crazy populated in the past few years, so it might not be fully up to date on AIA material.

dovlet

Postby dovlet » Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Try to prepare and do old exams. I have some notes and materials that I prepared. If you fail at once, ask for review sessions ($195) from prometric b/c it is definitely helpful.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”