February 2016 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BuenAbogado

Bronze

February 2016 California Bar Exam

Post by BuenAbogado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Good luck to all!!!
Last edited by BuenAbogado on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrokenMouse

Silver

Re: February 2016 California Bar Exam

Post by BrokenMouse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Hey so when you say you bombed the PT, do you mean you didn't do as well (55) or like really bombed it like you barely wrote anything?

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:20 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:Hey so when you say you bombed the PT, do you mean you didn't do as well (55) or like really bombed it like you barely wrote anything?
Got a 50 and 60. I believe I got the 50 because I made a whole big section out of something that was relatively minor. Grader probably saw that while he skimmed and said F this guy.

Unejulie

New

Post by Unejulie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi there! I'm also studying for the Feb 2016 bar exam. I'm looking for a study group around Long Beach/Orange County. Are you interested or do you know someone who would?

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:27 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
BrokenMouse wrote:Hey so when you say you bombed the PT, do you mean you didn't do as well (55) or like really bombed it like you barely wrote anything?
Got a 50 and 60. I believe I got the 50 because I made a whole big section out of something that was relatively minor. Grader probably saw that while he skimmed and said F this guy.
That doesn't sound so bad considering you got a high MBE score. Were the 6 essays not so good? If you got a 65+ on all your 6 essays (some higher I'd imagine), did well on the MBE, and got 50 and 60 on the PT, then it sounds like you should have passed. That 50 on the PT would have been made up with points from your other 6 essays + MBE no? This exam sounds harder than "minimum competence."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

needaday

New

Post by needaday » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:38 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
That doesn't sound so bad considering you got a high MBE score. Were the 6 essays not so good? If you got a 65+ on all your 6 essays (some higher I'd imagine), did well on the MBE, and got 50 and 60 on the PT, then it sounds like you should have passed. That 50 on the PT would have been made up with points from your other 6 essays + MBE no? This exam sounds harder than "minimum competence."
50 on a PT is pretty devastating and 65+ across the board on essays seems like a very favorable assumption. Assuming he did get straight 65s, it would leave him with 610 raw, which would get you 1440 only if there is a relatively generous scale. The one-timers calculator assumes a 620 raw gets you to the magic number (though there have been recent exams where you needed higher). Def doesn't appear to be a min competence exam. But yes, crush the MBE and you have a lot more wiggle room.

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:15 am

needaday wrote:
BrokenMouse wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
50 on a PT is pretty devastating and 65+ across the board on essays seems like a very favorable assumption. Assuming he did get straight 65s, it would leave him with 610 raw, which would get you 1440 only if there is a relatively generous scale. The one-timers calculator assumes a 620 raw gets you to the magic number (though there have been recent exams where you needed higher). Def doesn't appear to be a min competence exam. But yes, crush the MBE and you have a lot more wiggle room.
55, 60,60,60,65,65

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:05 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
55, 60,60,60,65,65
What was your raw MBE score?

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 am

Don't remember raw but after converting it was around 157 I believe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:45 pm

I passed. Thanks adaptibar, if anyone needs that $50 coupon let me know. Good luck to all.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:02 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:I passed. Thanks adaptibar, if anyone needs that $50 coupon let me know. Good luck to all.
Congrats again Buen. I have also arranged a list of helpful resources I gathered during my time here as well as for my own study.

So if you are taking the 2016 CA bar and wondering where to start, check it out.

I mean, maybe you don't have the mental energy to think about that when you're still overwhelmed with the reality of defeat. Maybe you're lost, desperate to magically pass, or simply deferring the hard decision of seeking the right help. You'll definitely go through a rollercoaster of feels. That's OK, but as 2807 says, onward.

Investing in resources is an indicator of success, but you also shouldn't just buy everything willy nilly. The more choices you have, the more confused you're likely to be (and waste time on things that ultimately don't help).

So what do you get? I've been hanging around TLS bar threads since 2013 and seen the most effective tools that helped people pass the bar. On my second attempt at the CA bar, I've tried some that helped, and I've tried some that didn't add any value.

So below is a list of resources I picked out that should give you the most bang for your buck. You don't have to take on more bar loans. Just add water and practice.

Search the [ID] to jump to the description of a featured resource, tagged by sections of interest:

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE I & II + Civ Pro resources [MBE]
[*2] Law in a Flash [MBE] [Essays]
[*3] BarEssays.com ($20 off) [Essays]
[*4] Past CA essays and performance tests (and a guide to own the PTs) [Essays] [PTs]
[*5] BarIssues.com ($20 off) [Essays]
[*6] BarMax MBE app [MBE]
[*7] Adaptibar (potential discounts available) [MBE]

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE (Emanuel): This is the MBE bible.

It's great (and may be the only MBE supplement you need) because it comes with hundreds of representative MBE questions that are all genuine and were previously administered, and I urge you to study with the real deal (see why).

Read it all, do all the questions, and review all the answers. Each subject is prefaced with a discussion of the tricky areas and how to deal with them. Some subjects have an overview of the major topics. There will be tips that revolve around multiple choice in general. The 200-question practice test at the back can be done to gauge your progress sometime in the final month leading to the bar.

So what does it look like inside? Pics incoming:
Subject overview
Questions
Explanations

Links (I used the 2009 edition):
2012 edition (labeled "#1 Best Seller in Bar Examination Test Preparation" on Amazon)

BREAKING: “New versions of strategies and tactics volume 1 comes with a code for civ pro practice questions online. It doesn’t have the approach, but I think there’s about 50 questions and explanations.” “I can confirm this. The code comes as a small flyer type page placed inside the front cover.”—Tipsters in my private FB group

2009 edition

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE II (Emanuel): This is the expansion pack to the above book, containing new questions. It’s in a different format, where the answer appears right beneath the question. If you're doing a question for practice, you'll have to carefully cover the answer as you do each question.

The valuable feature in Vol. 2 is how the questions are categorized into labeled topics. For example, Q45 on page 166 is filed under Chapter 5 Formal Proceedings – I. Grand Jury Proceedings – A. Self-incrimination and immunity. For better or worse, some headings contain answer spoilers for the concepts, e.g., Q46 on page 167 is filed under B. No right to have attorney present in grand jury room, which gives away the answer. Nonetheless, great for supplementary real MBE questions, especially if you know or want to improve on specific issues.

What it looks like inside

Links (I used the 2009 edition; it's cheaper and probably good enough):
2012 edition
2009 edition

[*1] What about Civ Pro?
“New versions of strategies and tactics volume 1 comes with a code for civ pro practice questions online. It doesn’t have the approach, but I think there’s about 50 questions and explanations.” “I can confirm this. The code comes as a small flyer type page placed inside the front cover.”—Tipsters in my private FB group

(To look at additional Civ Pro MBE questions, the NCBE has sample questions here.

BarMax MBE app or Adaptibar (below [*6][*7]) may provide a good number of Civ Pro questions as well.

Additionally, I’'ve heard (hearsay) that Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (2013) was more than sufficient. It’s cheaper than BarMax or AdaptiBar, but check out based on your own curiosity)

[*2] Law in a Flash cards: I bought 6 boxes of these to patch up my weak subjects. They were especially handy when I had to be out, like when I was trying to learn some tricky Evidence concepts and I could whip out a few cards from my wallet, or when I was trying to learn the various federal jurisdictions inside a noisy Verizon store.

Link: List of LIAF products

[*3] BarEssays.com: One of the most popular resources you'll see mentioned around the forums.

If you’re wondering what makes a passing essay vs. what doesn’t on the California Bar Exam, this is a large repository of actual graded essays and PTs submitted by those who didn’t pass. But this doesn’t mean the essays are all sub-par! While there are essays scored 40 and 50 that show what is not passing material, there are essays that earned 75, 80, or even 85. There are nearly 3,000 essays that you can search by subject, range of score, year/month, and even typed/handwritten/both for anyone worried about handwriting. Some have grader commentary. These essay examples are useful after you outline or write out an essay to check whether you discussed relevant issues and rules and used the facts properly. I’d look at least one below and one above 65, with grader commentary if available. Because the State Bar doesn’t disclose how well its model answers did, it’s hard to tell whether they are barely passing or top scoring. All they tell you are that they are passing essays and that essays don’t need to hit all the issues, implied by answers A and B covering different issues (although each usually hits all the key issues).

The owner has raised the price in recent months. Fortunately, I have a coupon for $20 off a subscription! PM me or ask someone for it.

[*4] Past essays and performance tests: These might be the only free things you get from the CA State Bar. They release exam questions from each administration.

Link: State Bar of California –Past Exams

If you’re looking for convenient access to individual questions organized by subject and issue, check out BarIssues.com below ($20 off).

I have also put together a guide to own the PTs, including an approach to answering the PTs in 3 hours, why you NEED to practice PTs, and list of PTs to practice in order of difficulty.

[*5] BarIssues.com: Need to hone in on that mysterious issue you’ve never been able to tame ever since you laid eyes on it? Need to know which issues have been tested most frequently?

BarIssues is a directory of all the issues that have been tested on the California Bar Exam in the last 10 or so years. You can sort by frequency or the issue itself. A convenient link to the question and model answers is available whenever you explore a subject and its issues.

It's a subscription-based service like BarEssays (i.e., no perpetual access). But I have a $20 coupon for this as well!

[*6] BarMax MBE Questions iOS app ($250): As with the rest of BarMax’s offerings, your materials are available on an iPad, which allows for great portability. A solid choice if you don’t mind reading questions on a tablet and being unable to write on a paper surface.

[*7] Adaptibar ($395/345?): This program is web based and accessible via PC (desktop or laptop) and mobile site. This is useful for those who are working and studying at the same time because you can prepare with AdaptiBar during lunch and breaks. Detailed explanations are provided for each question as well as thorough subject performance and timing analysis feedback. In addition, the program allows users to create PDF reports of questions that were answered incorrectly. This makes it simple to print the questions and explanations out and review the rules you didn’t understand.

Use someone's code (like Buen's) for $50 more off (if stackable).
Last edited by a male human on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Checking in. When can we sign up for the Feb bar?

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Also checking in. Not prepared for the misery that is full time work and no free time...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by 101670944 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Struck out in July. Going to use the themis redo. Planning on working full time. Going to party tonight anyway. Anyone else in a similar situation?

New

Post by 101670944 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:01 am

Raiden wrote:Checking in. When can we sign up for the Feb bar?
Asap. I think the timely filing for immediate retakers is Dec. 2.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:24 am

I guess it's time for me to check-in to this shit show as well. No offense all, but I was looking forward to dropping off these forums for good today. Just when you think you're out....they pull you back in!

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 am

MarcZero wrote:I guess it's time for me to check-in to this shit show as well. No offense all, but I was looking forward to dropping off these forums for good today. Just when you think you're out....they pull you back in!
This indeed feels bad...but I don't know, I think I am over my grieving period, or maybe it will hit me tomorrow.

But I am ready to give the smack down for the Feb exam. Though when I took the bar, I didn't know what I would do differently if I had to take it a second time, I thought I did enough to pass and blew some of the essays and PT-B out of the water.

Do we get our score report in four weeks with our essays and PT? I suppose it's nice they give us back our answers, can show them to another set of eyes to see where we messed up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrMustache

Bronze

Post by MrMustache » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:15 am

Failed the bar. Here comes my second and last attempt!
Last edited by MrMustache on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

hotsummer

New

Post by hotsummer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:27 am

Anyone interested in having a study group in Los Angeles Ktown area and practicing timed exams?

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:15 am

101670944 wrote:Struck out in July. Going to use the themis redo. Planning on working full time. Going to party tonight anyway. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Since this is an online forum I'll go ahead and admit to the truth of having cried for the last 6 hours straight and seriously debating becoming a study hermit in my parents den... :?

mpwildcat4life

New

Post by mpwildcat4life » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:52 am

I thought I would post to help bring my experience to those that have failed. This was my 3rd time taking the bar after failing by less than 10 points the first time and under 30 points the second time. I am proud to say I have PASSED this time!

This is my experience:

I took Themis the first time because of their guarantee for a repeat course if I were to fail. After failing the first time, I used their repeat program to take the bar again (dumb decision).Both times I completed nearly 100% of the Themis program.On the bar I scored high on the MBE, well above 140, but my essays were always low. It was only after the 2nd time failing that I realized that there is a fundamental flaw in the way Themis grades the essays. One grader would say I did everything great and give me a 65 (barely passing according to CA Bar standards) while another would correct my rule statement without looking at my analysis. The scores they gave seemed to be scores they pulled out of thin air based on different standards than that of the real CA bar graders.

After failing the 2nd time I decided to hire John Crossfield who is a past CA Bar grader. He actually knows what graders are looking for in the essays, which is contrary to what Themis graders were telling me I needed to work on. He was instrumental in my success this round and I could not have been happier with his tutoring. In fact, I wanted to go with him after failing the 1st time, but told myself that "I can just fix the mistakes I made and I will be fine" (I got another bar review from Themis that was free so i might as well take advantage). This was the wrong decision, one that cost me another $1,000 for the bar and wasted time waiting for results without a job. I strongly suggest that anyone who failed seek out a tutor. I can personally attest to John Crossfield and the personal attention that he gives. He grades your essays as if he were grading your exam for the bar, not higher or lower. He explains what you are doing wrong and how you need to improve in detailed form. His corrections to your paper will demonstrate to you what a 75 paper looks like so you know what you need to do to get a 75. By applying his specific method, I saw my writing change from 55 and 60's to 65, 70 and 75's consistently. I can without a doubt say that having him as my tutor was essential to me succeeding and I would encourage every person who failed, based on their essays or PT's, to seek him out. At the very least reach out to him and contact him regarding your scores, as he will be able to evaluate whether he can help you based on your scores. His website is www.cabargrader.com.

Also, I used baressays.com which displays real graded essays from the bar. This was a major help along with the tutoring because the sample answers the bar gives on the website are not necessarily 75 graded answers. BarEssays gives you a variety of 75 answers so you can compare your essays to the actual graded essays. Further, I thought that Kaplan's MBE's were the most similar to the actual bar but I used Adaptibar as well and thought it was helpful. I would note that Adaptibar's Civ Pro MBE's are not at all comparable to the bar.

To those that have failed, keep your head up! take your time to grieve and then get back on the grind and start studying. Do everything that you can to put yourself in the best position for next time. At the end of the day you want to be able to honestly say that you have done everything humanely possible to pass. For some that means spending more time on MBE's or doing more essays with proper feedback, but don't keep funneling money into programs that don't grade like CA bar graders. And don't do a course strictly because they offer a free repeater course, as I did. Make sure that whomever is grading your essays has the proper training to ensure you are in the best possible position. Overall I truly believe that if I would have got a tutor from the start I would not have wasted thousands of dollars on bar exams and time that could have been spent doing actual legal work as an attorney. Right now you might feel like there is no way you will succeed but I can assure you through perseverance, dedication, and smart studying you will succeed. I wish you all the best of luck on the Feb. 2016 Exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 101670944 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:24 am

MrMustache wrote:Failed the bar. Here comes my second and last attempt!
We're gonna be alright. Give it your best but don't make this your last. You can do this!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 am

I don't want to do Barbri again, but I do want to do a lot of practice essays/PT and get good feedback on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:28 am

rcharter1978 wrote:I don't want to do Barbri again, but I do want to do a lot of practice essays/PT and get good feedback on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm planning to do BarEssays.com (taking the CA Bar for the 7th time this Feb)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:29 am

Thanks mpwildcat -- that was very helpful. How much did you pay for his service? I'm not sure if the information is on the site, but I'm curious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”