Money After The Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RufioRufio

New

Money After The Bar

Post by RufioRufio » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 am

Trying to commiserate with anyone else that is waiting for their employment to start and is running out of money. I know I'll be happy I didn't take out more student loans then I needed to, but still, would be nice to have a cushion... and it will suck not knowing whether you passed already having started your job.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Money After The Bar

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 am

RufioRufio wrote:Trying to commiserate with anyone else that is waiting for their employment to start and is running out of money. I know I'll be happy I didn't take out more student loans then I needed to, but still, would be nice to have a cushion... and it will suck not knowing whether you passed already having started your job.
I hated the idea of taking out additional student loans -- but I know I did it just because of this situation :(

I know how you feel though, I ended up buying one-ply toilet paper in an effort to save money....its not worth it. You know, in a few years it'll be all champagne wishes and caviar dreams as you're able to pay off your student debt much faster, so I guess for now its all kool-aid and Jack in the Box tacos.

And at least you know you have some employment starting soon!
Last edited by rcharter1978 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:02 am

My public defense job wasn't suppose to start til mid September..but I was running out of money and told my employer of my situation ..I was started a month early as a paid intern until orientation starts..doesn't hurt to ask!

Consequently they actually needed someone..the regular interns had left the week before to go back to school and there were no others in the office to do mundane tasks that the attorneys don't have time to do.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:47 pm

anjmissy wrote:My public defense job wasn't suppose to start til mid September..but I was running out of money and told my employer of my situation ..I was started a month early as a paid intern until orientation starts..doesn't hurt to ask!

Consequently they actually needed someone..the regular interns had left the week before to go back to school and there were no others in the office to do mundane tasks that the attorneys don't have time to do.
Nice. It's awesome when the little things pan out like that.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:03 pm

So real. Tried to make my money last, but moving expenses are going on the credit card. :(

Travel was so worth it though, mental-health wise. I could have started work the Monday after the bar. No regrets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:43 pm

what money? :D

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Also trying to save money wisely until that first paycheck, but buying clothes for work is certainly adding up. Anyone have good recommendations for tie shopping? Was on board with tiebar previously but curious if people have found better quality for the price elsewhere.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Also trying to save money wisely until that first paycheck, but buying clothes for work is certainly adding up. Anyone have good recommendations for tie shopping? Was on board with tiebar previously but curious if people have found better quality for the price elsewhere.
Jos A. Bank has great sales usually if you're near one of those.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Also trying to save money wisely until that first paycheck, but buying clothes for work is certainly adding up. Anyone have good recommendations for tie shopping? Was on board with tiebar previously but curious if people have found better quality for the price elsewhere.
Nordstrom Rack -- they are good quality and substantially cheaper. I get the impression no one will really care that you are wearing a tie from a few seasons ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:46 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Nordstrom Rack -- they are good quality and substantially cheaper. I get the impression no one will really care that you are wearing a tie from a few seasons ago.
I bought 3 pairs of nice dress pants from a Dillard's Clearance store and they are very nice and I can't wait to go back. Two of the pants were under $15. Much recommend.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
I bought 3 pairs of nice dress pants from a Dillard's Clearance store and they are very nice and I can't wait to go back. Two of the pants were under $15. Much recommend.
Thats an excellent price for good pants. Its such a great feeling to find something, in your size and at such a good price.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:08 pm

You may also want to try Burlington if you have one nearby. The way its advertised makes it look like they only carry a bunch of cheap crap, but I've found that they have good stuff at a really good price. But I'm a woman, so I haven't been in their mens section. But the prices are remarkably low, IMO. It might be worth it to check it out if you have one near you.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:43 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Nordstrom Rack -- they are good quality and substantially cheaper. I get the impression no one will really care that you are wearing a tie from a few seasons ago.
Today I learned: ties have "seasons."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 pm

despina wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Nordstrom Rack -- they are good quality and substantially cheaper. I get the impression no one will really care that you are wearing a tie from a few seasons ago.
Ya, have I been secretly judged for my outdated ties for all these years?

ilovetheatre

New

Post by ilovetheatre » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:46 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
despina wrote:
Yes. You have been weighed. You have been measured. And you have absolutely been found wanting.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
despina wrote:
Its funny you think it was secret. I was there, I think we all made it obvious :)

Just kidding. I think seasons/trends for clothing are a little ridiculous ;)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 pm

ilovetheatre wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:
despina wrote:
Yes. You have been weighed. You have been measured. And you have absolutely been found wanting.
LOL ;)

I can already see the job interview "great resume, good writing samples, awesome connections, but did you see that tie he was wearing?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”