Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ilovetheatre

New

Re: Feb 2016 Bar Exam discussion

Post by ilovetheatre » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:48 pm

udonisandtrinity wrote:
ilovetheatre wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:Which one is the best for MBEs? I did awful on my MBEs.
I recommend Kaplan. There are no real Civ Pro MBE Qs available beyond the free ones on the NCBE website, but Kaplan's Civ Pro MBE Qs were very much like the one's on test day. Also, I found the old retired MBE Qs (available through adaptibar, barmax, themis, and some books on amazon) to be too easy. While easy isn't necessarily bad, I think I would have had a breakdown during the MBE if I wasn't used to doubting my answers (through Kaplan's practice tests and Qbank).
You're saying Kap > Barbri?
Yes. I'd always been told Kaplan was better than BarBri for the MBE and, having compared the MBE Qs, feel confident recommending Kaplan. Also, I preferred Kaplan's outlines to BarBri's.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:59 pm

udonisandtrinity wrote:Which one is the best for MBEs? I did awful on my MBEs.
I recommend Adaptibar. I used both Barbri and Adaptibar during my prep and felt like Adaptibar's questions were closer to the real MBEs (imo). I remember after leaving the exam on the MBE day, I was like "I wish I focused more on Adaptibar's questions...some of the real Qs were very similar to those." Personally, I was displeased with Barbri's questions because they were nothing like the real thing (take it with a grain of salt obviously). I can't speak of either Kaplan or Themis.

NYNY2016

New

Post by NYNY2016 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Hey -

Retaking NY in February 2016.
Screwed up the MPT on July exam.
Ready to put results behind me, especially now that the Mets are falling apart.

Lets get this thing done!

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Studying again for NY Bar...

Additionally to AdaptiBar, Kaplan QBank or BarBri for MBEs, Critical Pass cards are recommended too?

bluesplitter

Bronze

Post by bluesplitter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:54 am

Alrite,...

It's November 1st.

I am now ready to prepare for the Feb Bar Exam

I will be using Themis, Adaptibar, and Critical Pass, and misc Texas centric supplements for essay questions.

Gonna treat it like a job. Mon - Friday 7-5, with a morning break to check mail at post office 20 minute round trip. Then a 45 minute lunch break. Then beer time at 5ish.

Saturday, overtime shift of MBE's. Sunday 7-noon misc(prolly hanging with yall here at TLS lol) and then Football.

LET"S DO THIS!!!

:evil: :x :shock: 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

bluesplitter wrote:Alrite,...

It's November 1st.

I will be using Themis, Adaptibar, and Critical Pass, and misc Texas centric supplements for essay questions.

Gonna treat it like a job. Mon - Friday 7-5, with a morning break to check mail at post office 20 minute round trip. Then a 45 minute lunch break. Then beer time at 5ish.

Saturday, overtime shift of MBE's. Sunday 7-noon misc(prolly hanging with yall here at TLS lol) and then Football.

LET"S DO THIS!!!

Don't have the option to do it like a day job, so I'm going to do a condensed version of what you're doing. If you have the option to do it like a day job, I wouldn't think it's completely necessary to start this far out. I would personally burn out.

Was going to do Kaplan's QBank... I thought I saw an option to just get the QBank for $100, but now I only see an option for the QBank and the lectures for $300. If that's the case, I'll just do Adaptibar, since I hear it's a better product.

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:10 pm

NY_Sea wrote:

It's November 1st.

LET"S DO THIS!!!

Don't have the option to do it like a day job, so I'm going to do a condensed version of what you're doing. If you have the option to do it like a day job, I wouldn't think it's completely necessary to start this far out. I would personally burn out.

Was going to do Kaplan's QBank... I thought I saw an option to just get the QBank for $100, but now I only see an option for the QBank and the lectures for $300. If that's the case, I'll just do Adaptibar, since I hear it's a better product.
I thought about which is better? AdaptiBar or Kaplan QBank? Any comments welcome!

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:19 pm

BarTaker wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:

It's November 1st.

LET"S DO THIS!!!

I thought about which is better? AdaptiBar or Kaplan QBank? Any comments welcome!
I really just want what the closest representation to the MBE is... Totally neglected doing MBE problems outside of what BARBRI assigned and I really think that's what did me in.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I didn't pass the July Bar. But, I know where I went wrong (lack of essay and MPT practice), so that's a start. Please weigh in on my choice of study tools:

1. Substantive review: Barbri Conviser. Suggestions welcome.
2. MBE practice: Adaptibar or Kaplan's Q bank. Who has the most realistic Civ Pro questions?
3. MPT practice: Suggestions, please?
4. Essays: How is Seperac? SmartBarPrep? Any other aids?

Thanks. Let's do this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluesplitter

Bronze

Post by bluesplitter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:09 pm

NY_Sea wrote:
BarTaker wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:

It's November 1st.

LET"S DO THIS!!!

I really just want what the closest representation to the MBE is... Totally neglected doing MBE problems outside of what BARBRI assigned and I really think that's what did me in.
I got ya.

Well I tell you, after lots of research on the matter, I though Themis at 1500, and Adaptibar at 500, and the supplements would give the most bang for the buck. As it would "diversify" the resources. Compared to just plopping down 3k for the other competitors out there, and relying on the sole source.

Personally I think Adaptibar's interface is the best, and the real MBE bank is worth the money.

Also, I know I am starting early, but I worked full time through law school as I was literally working as a laborer at a parks and recreation job for the local government at 4 day 10 hour shifts and going to law school at night for another 3-4 hours. Was putting in 80-90 weeks of "work".

So treating the bar prep as a full time job is almost a "privilege burdened" as Cardozo would say. "Membership in the bar is a privilege burdened with conditions." - Benjamin Cardozo

ilovetheatre

New

Post by ilovetheatre » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:28 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:I didn't pass the July Bar. But, I know where I went wrong (lack of essay and MPT practice), so that's a start. Please weigh in on my choice of study tools:

1. Substantive review: Barbri Conviser. Suggestions welcome.
2. MBE practice: Adaptibar or Kaplan's Q bank. Who has the most realistic Civ Pro questions?
3. MPT practice: Suggestions, please?
4. Essays: How is Seperac? SmartBarPrep? Any other aids?

Thanks. Let's do this!
For MBE, I would recommend Kaplan. They had the most test-like MBE Qs, IMO, and the best Civ Pro MBE Qs by far. Adaptibar uses old retired MBE Qs, and retired Qs are a lot easier than what was on the MBE in July. Also, Adaptibar has to create their own Civ Pro MBE Qs, and I found those Qs to be way off base.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Thanks! I'll try Kaplan.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am

Are ya'll registered for the February bar yet? NY says its registration is supposed to open in November, but the link is dead. Trying to get in touch with the examiners office to get the scoop, but any insight from the TLS hivemind is welcome as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 pm

z0rk wrote:Are ya'll registered for the February bar yet? NY says its registration is supposed to open in November, but the link is dead. Trying to get in touch with the examiners office to get the scoop, but any insight from the TLS hivemind is welcome as well.
i registered yesterday. i had no problems.

so for november my plan is

mon, wed, fri: review 10 pages of Pieper outline

tues/ thurs: do 33 MBEs and review answers (Adaptibar)

saturday read 10-20 pages of outline
do 2-3 essay
add rules i dont understand or know to a mini outline

sunday: SLEEP IN and 33 MBEs. review answers

this is just for november. i also work full time so i hope to be able to do all the weekday stuff in 2-3 hours after work.

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Checking in. Failed IL by quite a few points, got 3s and 4s on essays, was below average on MPT (strange because I thought the MPT was easy?) and completely bombed the MBE.

Got all of Kaplan's books from a friend. Retaking Barbri only because it's a free retake and I don't have $2k+ to spend on a new bar review. Thinking about getting Critical Pass.

Pretty nervous to do this again, especially now that i'm working full time with an hour commute each way. Guessing I'll be doing most of my studying on the weekends with only 1-2 hours per night during the week.

Really have no clue how to get better at MBE. I felt like every time I took a Barbri quiz I'd get questions wrong, review the answers, thought I had it down for the next quiz and then I'd get something wrong again because there was a new exception to an exception of a rule. Particularly weak in Property and Contracts

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 pm

starryski wrote:
z0rk wrote:Are ya'll registered for the February bar yet? NY says its registration is supposed to open in November, but the link is dead. Trying to get in touch with the examiners office to get the scoop, but any insight from the TLS hivemind is welcome as well.

do 2-3 essay

this is just for november. i also work full time so i hope to be able to do all the weekday stuff in 2-3 hours after work.
This is probably similar to what I'm going to do, except sub out Pieper review for BARBRI AMPs

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:16 pm

NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:

do 2-3 essay

This is probably similar to what I'm going to do, except sub out Pieper review for BARBRI AMPs
i hope this is enough. i also hope to be able to take feb off from work. with the way my bosses are supporting me i think it is possible. last time i tried to cram so much into 4-5 weeks at the end that i would hardly keep up with what i tasked myself with. the best i thing i did however was memorize mnemonics. really helped my essay scores.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:28 pm

starryski wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:

do 2-3 essay

i hope this is enough. i also hope to be able to take feb off from work. with the way my bosses are supporting me i think it is possible. last time i tried to cram so much into 4-5 weeks at the end that i would hardly keep up with what i tasked myself with. the best i thing i did however was memorize mnemonics. really helped my essay scores.
I wouldn't be able to take Feb off... I've been told that I can take days here and there if my docket is up to date, but I guess I could always take vacation (which would suck). I think it will be enough since I started already and I'm almost done with the AMPs for 2 of the MBE subjects.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 pm

https://www.nybarapply.org/

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:08 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
https://www.nybarapply.org/
Much appreciated.

texasbar

New

Post by texasbar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:25 am

Checking in. Failed Texas by 7 points. I'm still processing the fail so haven't come up with a strategy yet. Essays were my weak spot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 am

texasbar wrote:Checking in. Failed Texas by 7 points. I'm still processing the fail so haven't come up with a strategy yet. Essays were my weak spot.
Damn... I'm sorry. I know there are people in this thread beside you (myself and starryski) that came within 10 points. It sucks and I was definitely bummed for the day or so after finding out, but I now look at it as only needing to refresh myself on some stuff and practice, practice, practice. That's what did me in on the first go around... Not enough practice questions. Maybe because of that the nerves got to me without me realizing, but regardless I feel that's the reason I came up short (essays were strong). The biggest hurdle of this whole thing is finding and then accepting what your weakness was the first go around... You've done that already. Once you are over this initial low point, dust yourself off, get back up, and hit the material HARD.

You'll get it this next time! This thread is going to be super helpful for people like the July thread was... Let's all use it if we need a little pick-me-up or just to vent a little.

texasbar

New

Post by texasbar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:11 am

NY_Sea wrote:
texasbar wrote:Checking in. Failed Texas by 7 points. I'm still processing the fail so haven't come up with a strategy yet. Essays were my weak spot.
Damn... I'm sorry. I know there are people in this thread beside you (myself and starryski) that came within 10 points. It sucks and I was definitely bummed for the day or so after finding out, but I now look at it as only needing to refresh myself on some stuff and practice, practice, practice. That's what did me in on the first go around... Not enough practice questions. Maybe because of that the nerves got to me without me realizing, but regardless I feel that's the reason I came up short (essays were strong). The biggest hurdle of this whole thing is finding and then accepting what your weakness was the first go around... You've done that already. Once you are over this initial low point, dust yourself off, get back up, and hit the material HARD.

You'll get it this next time! This thread is going to be super helpful for people like the July thread was... Let's all use it if we need a little pick-me-up or just to vent a little.

Thanks so much. I'm sorry you feel my pain too! I'm taking the weekend to sulk/drink excessively and will plan for retake next week. I appreciate the words of encouragement!

LittleJohnBull

New

Post by LittleJohnBull » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:07 pm

TX retaker reporting in. Not too surprised at my misfortune--got married, moved, had crazy family issues during the summer so my preparation was awful going into it. Re-doing Themis.

One thing's for sure, I'm going to study the Texas essays and P&E a lot harder this time around. Had I gotten more points in those areas, I probably could've pulled off a passing score. Don't let that 10% get away from you folks.

Whatever state you're in, I wish you the best over the next few months. Let's do this!!!

tealeaf23

New

Post by tealeaf23 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Also checking in from Texas! Like the other Texas re-taker, my plan is to focus on the essays and P&E this time around, since had I done better in those areas, I could have managed a passing score. Spent too much time freaking out about how poorly I was averaging in the MBE section, I neglected the sections at which I might have actually done well. Once everyone has re-grouped, would anyone mind sharing techniques for studying for essays besides repetition and reading over old ones? I just need to do marginally better in each to pass. Bah.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”