MBE - how'd you feel?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum

How did the MBE go, compared to your expectation?

A lot easier than I expected.
6
2%
Somewhat easier than I expected.
11
4%
About how I expected.
36
12%
Somewhat harder than I expected.
89
29%
A lot harder than I expected.
167
54%
 
Total votes: 309

Lobolaw1984

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Lobolaw1984 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:42 am

kjartan wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Oh look someone managed to bring up the LSAT in a thread entitled "MBE - how'd you feel?" Well, this is what happens when you're not allowed to discuss the questions.

kys


What the hell is that? This isn't reddit or youtube, why say that?

lushes3

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby lushes3 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:04 am

waxecstatic wrote:
lushes3 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
kjartan wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Oh look someone managed to bring up the LSAT in a thread entitled "MBE - how'd you feel?" Well, this is what happens when you're not allowed to discuss the questions.

kys



Oh sure go tell someone to kill themselves. I actually had to google that cause I don't spend all day on forums like you and know every abbreviation. Maybe if you abbreviate it though it will lessen any seriousness to what you're saying or any moral dilemma you might have. Why do you think it's okay to say something like this? You have no idea what is going on in that person's life.


mm seems like an over the top response. damn guys. Whatever, honestly, the end point is the NCBE is going to do what it wants to do regardless of what is said here.


Call me old fashioned but I really don't appreciate people telling me to kill myself. And honestly I'm pretty sure any experiment in saying this to someone in real life would not bode well for me. But yes, it's the internet and people say retard, kill yourself, get cancer etc. It's pretty pathetic people can casually say stuff like this, but that's really neither here nor there.


I get it, i meant the "kys" if it stands for what you think it does was an over the top response.

Lobolaw1984

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Lobolaw1984 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:13 am

lushes3 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
lushes3 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
kjartan wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Oh look someone managed to bring up the LSAT in a thread entitled "MBE - how'd you feel?" Well, this is what happens when you're not allowed to discuss the questions.

kys



Oh sure go tell someone to kill themselves. I actually had to google that cause I don't spend all day on forums like you and know every abbreviation. Maybe if you abbreviate it though it will lessen any seriousness to what you're saying or any moral dilemma you might have. Why do you think it's okay to say something like this? You have no idea what is going on in that person's life.


mm seems like an over the top response. damn guys. Whatever, honestly, the end point is the NCBE is going to do what it wants to do regardless of what is said here.


Call me old fashioned but I really don't appreciate people telling me to kill myself. And honestly I'm pretty sure any experiment in saying this to someone in real life would not bode well for me. But yes, it's the internet and people say retard, kill yourself, get cancer etc. It's pretty pathetic people can casually say stuff like this, but that's really neither here nor there.


I get it, i meant the "kys" if it stands for what you think it does was an over the top response.


I agree that was completely inappropriate.

waxecstatic

Bronze
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby waxecstatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 am

Hey man, I see what you're saying now, it's all good. I just think for me this whole experience has completely dominated my life and I studied so frigging hard that I legit read the CMR for the mbe subjects at least 10x, which I'm sure many other people have. And I was able to finish each section with about 20 mins left and I know some people probably didn't even finish, but it's like I just want my efforts to actually shine through. I was pretty disappointed to see so many civ pro questions that weren't on jurisdiction or removal. I mean, it's not like I don't understand res judicata or collateral estoppel, it's just that it's much easier to explain than it really is to apply on a multiple choice question. I could still know it and still get it wrong. I just hope that didn't happen too many times. For me, I felt like there were so many questions where I was like "okay I know the answer, but fuck, it's not really written the way I'd like it to be, this looks the least incorrect." And then you just gotta move on.

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby sublime » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:09 am

..

User avatar
Learned Throw Hands

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Learned Throw Hands » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 am

I spent today convincing myself that I failed.

Lobolaw1984

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Lobolaw1984 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:19 am

Learned Throw Hands wrote:I spent today convincing myself that I failed.


You probably passed.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:53 am

Learned Throw Hands wrote:I spent today convincing myself that I failed.


I've been able to convince myself that I passed. Maybe My mental health is at risk

LAW813FL

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby LAW813FL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Learned Throw Hands wrote:I spent today convincing myself that I failed.


I've been able to convince myself that I passed. Maybe My mental health is at risk

I figure if I just think I failed, and tell everyone that I think I failed, then it won't be a surprise when I do fail. And then if I pass, well then I pass. It's really a win-win.

tianziwansui

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby tianziwansui » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 am

LAW813FL wrote:I figure if I just think I failed, and tell everyone that I think I failed, then it won't be a surprise when I do fail. And then if I pass, well then I pass. It's really a win-win.


Exactly, lol.

User avatar
sd5289

Gold
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby sd5289 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:41 am

waxecstatic wrote:For me, I felt like there were so many questions where I was like "okay I know the answer, but fuck, it's not really written the way I'd like it to be, this looks the least incorrect." And then you just gotta move on.


That's what I, and nearly everyone I've talked to, did. I would know the applicable rule, and what the answer should be, but it wouldn't be one of the four answer choices. I'd often have it narrowed down to the two "yes" or "no" answers, and then had to decide which explanation was closest to the answer I'd formed in my head before looking at the answers. I'd occasionally see exactly the answer that I'd formed in my head in the answer choices, but that didn't happen as often as I would've liked.

I know a lot of people are complaining about NY moving to the UBE, but honestly, my understanding is the UBE just asks you what the rule is to apply to the fact pattern. That sounds far more pertinent to actual law than the MBE's logic game fail shenanigans.

gabewatch

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby gabewatch » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 am

sd5289 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:For me, I felt like there were so many questions where I was like "okay I know the answer, but fuck, it's not really written the way I'd like it to be, this looks the least incorrect." And then you just gotta move on.


That's what I, and nearly everyone I've talked to, did. I would know the applicable rule, and what the answer should be, but it wouldn't be one of the four answer choices. I'd often have it narrowed down to the two "yes" or "no" answers, and then had to decide which explanation was closest to the answer I'd formed in my head before looking at the answers. I'd occasionally see exactly the answer that I'd formed in my head in the answer choices, but that didn't happen as often as I would've liked.

I know a lot of people are complaining about NY moving to the UBE, but honestly, my understanding is the UBE just asks you what the rule is to apply to the fact pattern. That sounds far more pertinent to actual law than the MBE's logic game fail shenanigans.


Don't the UBE states use the MBE?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am

Haha sorry, but the MBE is the second day of the UBE.

User avatar
sd5289

Gold
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby sd5289 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 am

The UBE + the MBE?

Nevermind, that sounds worse.

User avatar
5ky

Diamond
Posts: 10835
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:09 am

mbe is part of the ube.

Geaux12

Bronze
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby Geaux12 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:19 pm

1) I managed to go through an entire Kaplan course without learning what a "nonconforming use" is. How is that possible? Was I simply not paying attention? Did I maybe not get to the QBank question that was supposed to teach me that doctrine?

2) Lol wills questions - experimental? Not actually wills? What was going on there?

3) PM was easier than AM. Not sure why. I was very time pressed. I keep telling myself that I passed, that there were plenty of dumbasses in that exam...but who knows.

mod edit: user has been banned for talking about a specific question/answer

LAW813FL

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby LAW813FL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Geaux12 wrote:1) I managed to go through an entire Kaplan course without learning what a "nonconforming use" is. How is that possible? Was I simply not paying attention? Did I maybe not get to the QBank question that was supposed to teach me that doctrine?

2) Lol wills questions - experimental? Not actually wills? What was going on there?

3) PM was easier than AM. Not sure why. I was very time pressed. I keep telling myself that I passed, that there were plenty of dumbasses in that exam...but who knows.



Id delete # 4 homie they throwing the ban hammer down on people.

bluewin888

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby bluewin888 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 pm


User avatar
somuchbooty

Gold
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby somuchbooty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:59 pm

bluewin888 wrote:http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/sexual-battery.htm


lol that question tied me up b/c i knew sexual battery was a thing as well, but I don't think that is what intended.

But yeah, that's just another example of a terrible question. Considering everything, these people are pretty awful at creating questions that actually do what they intend, unless they actually intend to confuse people who know the law very well into selecting the wrong answer just because of a poorly worded and designed question. If that is their intention, then they're spot on.

LAW813FL

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby LAW813FL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:01 pm

somuchbooty wrote:
bluewin888 wrote:http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/sexual-battery.htm


lol that question tied me up b/c i knew sexual battery was a thing as well, but I don't think that is what intended.

But yeah, that's just another example of a terrible question. Considering everything, these people are pretty awful at creating questions that actually do what they intend, unless they actually intend to confuse people who know the law very well into selecting the wrong answer just because of a poorly worded and designed question. If that is their intention, then they're spot on.


So if we interpreted it as a torts question then we got it right? NCBE gonna be like "Nope, it was a sexual battery questions fuck y'all"

User avatar
somuchbooty

Gold
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby somuchbooty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:
bluewin888 wrote:http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/sexual-battery.htm


lol that question tied me up b/c i knew sexual battery was a thing as well, but I don't think that is what intended.

But yeah, that's just another example of a terrible question. Considering everything, these people are pretty awful at creating questions that actually do what they intend, unless they actually intend to confuse people who know the law very well into selecting the wrong answer just because of a poorly worded and designed question. If that is their intention, then they're spot on.


So if we interpreted it as a torts question then we got it right? NCBE gonna be like "Nope, it was a sexual battery questions fuck y'all"


It's not a minimally competent test. It's a test to see if your way of thinking about things is susceptible to their shitty designed questions. That's how I'm thinking of it, fail or pass.

User avatar
kjartan

Gold
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby kjartan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Learned Throw Hands wrote:I spent today convincing myself that I failed.


I've been able to convince myself that I passed. Maybe My mental health is at risk

My memory of the actual test is a blur. I've managed to block out of the details of the test, and now I only have a generalized dread of failing. I keep reminding myself that, pass or fail, the results don't come out for four months so I have to learn to live without thinking about it.

cdelgado

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby cdelgado » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm just relying on the fact that the MBE accounts for a 1/3 in my jurisdiction.

nyny

Bronze
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 am

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby nyny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:54 pm

That one was a tricky one and I got it wrong sheesh... But thinking back it discribe statutory rape, so you would have to go the crim law way not tort way... Then all that's left is battery...

LAW813FL

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Postby LAW813FL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:10 pm

nyny wrote:That one was a tricky one and I got it wrong sheesh... But thinking back it discribe statutory rape, so you would have to go the crim law way not tort way... Then all that's left is battery...

I think by just saying "battery" that they wanted a tort analysis, but who knows.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 16 guests