MBE - how'd you feel? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

How did the MBE go, compared to your expectation?

A lot easier than I expected.
2%
Somewhat easier than I expected.
4%
About how I expected.
12%
Somewhat harder than I expected.
29%
A lot harder than I expected.
54%

Total votes: 309

despina

Bronze

MBE - how'd you feel?

Post by despina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 pm

NO discussion of specific questions, of course.

Over in the Kaplan thread, consensus so far seems to be that the MBE was harder than expected. Curious how others perceived it -- maybe the curve will be generous for this administration?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: MBE - how'd you feel?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 pm

I expected it to be easier than Barbri simulated. I thought it was, but less easy than the mixed questions from Barbri. Also, not to give anything away, but 2-4 questions on very narrow areas of the law which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote: 2-4 questions on very narrow areas of the law which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
...only 2-4? You're ahead of me then!

bro2baseball

New

Post by bro2baseball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:31 pm

I wasn't killing the practice Qs but was doing well enough I felt positive about it going in.....

I thought the MBE was ridiculous. Coming from someone who did Kaplan, I thought the questions seemed very different and much more difficult. Honestly, there was only a few questions each session where I felt very confident on. And there were a lot more complete guesses than usual.

Again, I was only averaging around 60-65% in practice so far from a top performer. But I thought this was significantly more difficult.

MaroPolo

New

Post by MaroPolo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 pm

After doing purely lectures and Adaptibar (not a rep, btw), I didn't find many questions to be a surprise. Granted, I did almost 1800 questions and studied what I'd get wrong, but doing a shitload of questions is best for my learning style. Mileage may vary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 pm

MaroPolo wrote:After doing purely lectures and Adaptibar (not a rep, btw), I didn't find many questions to be a surprise. Granted, I did almost 1800 questions and studied what I'd get wrong, but doing a shitload of questions is best for my learning style. Mileage may vary.
Have to say, adaptibar was better preparation for this than barbri

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:42 pm

despina wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote: 2-4 questions on very narrow areas of the law which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
No I mean on the same exact issue.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 pm

I thought it was much harder than I expected. Very few questions that I was sure about and there were a surprising number that I couldn't even get down to 50-50. Even when I did, I felt like there were a lot of "more correct" type answers and just went with the one that sounded better.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
despina wrote:
I had a question that I swear was asked on both the AM and PM. Wondering if it was experimental and they were playing around with variations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CurryWithTheShot

New

Post by CurryWithTheShot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I did almost 2,500 practice questions with Kaplan (including the 3 practice tests), and I thought that a lot of the questions were structured much differently on the MBE than the Kaplan questions. There were a few easy questions, but for the most part, I was doing a 50/50 guess.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
despina wrote:
Ah yes. There was one particular (civpro) rule that stood out to me as well. Saw two very similar questions on one narrow issue within the rule, and two more on that same civpro rule. Not sure I got any of them right. Hoping at least one or two were test-drive unscored questions since they're still rolling out the civpro questions...

ars2345

New

Post by ars2345 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 pm

I did kaplan and adaptibar. Did 1800 Qs on adaptibar and thought that this AM was MUCH harder than any of the 4 OPEs. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Afternoon wasn't quite as brutal for me. Overall, much more nervous tonight than i was after essays yest

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Well, at n=50, 74% of us found the MBE harder than expected.

From a crowd that's probably over prepared compared to the nationwide average, I'm holding out hope for a generous curve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:13 pm

ars2345 wrote:I did kaplan and adaptibar. Did 1800 Qs on adaptibar and thought that this AM was MUCH harder than any of the 4 OPEs. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Afternoon wasn't quite as brutal for me. Overall, much more nervous tonight than i was after essays yest
Agreed that afternoon was easier. That seems to be the consensus from the 10 or so people I've talked with in Sac.

I maybe knew cold 15-20 Q's from AM, but I felt the same on maybe 30 or so in the PM.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:15 pm

i did adaptibar plus pieper. was hitting 70% on adapitbar. still found it was easier than today's MBE.

MaroPolo

New

Post by MaroPolo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Where's the "I feel like I need a drink." Because that's exactly what I'm going to do now that this is done and over.

wakeJD15

New

Post by wakeJD15 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Will we ever know how much the scale/curve is?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nanosoft

New

Post by Nanosoft » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:23 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
ars2345 wrote:I did kaplan and adaptibar. Did 1800 Qs on adaptibar and thought that this AM was MUCH harder than any of the 4 OPEs. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Agreed that afternoon was easier. That seems to be the consensus from the 10 or so people I've talked with in Sac.

I maybe knew cold 15-20 Q's from AM, but I felt the same on maybe 30 or so in the PM.
This is like, right in the ballpark of where I was at. 15 certain in the morning, 30 certain in the afternoon.

I'm feeling troubled, but, it's good to know that others are in a similar boat.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Hate

SpeshulSnoflake

New

Post by SpeshulSnoflake » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm

First post in years, solely to say that the MBE can kiss my ass. I was pulling solid 75-80% on practice tests the last couple of weeks, and I'll be grateful if I even hit 60% today. I did not feel prepared for these questions at all.

I'm just happy I'm not the only one who felt this way.

TLSaul2001

New

Post by TLSaul2001 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

This thread makes me feel a lot better. I failed NY February and left today ready to cry. I was hitting 70% on most Barbri prep and I felt like a bus hit me after the AM section. PM was just as bad and I spent walk home contemplating that maybe I'm literally too stupid to pass the bar. This thread gives me hope that the curve will be generous

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

What I felt pissed about was that it seemed like I had prepared for a completely different exam. Massive amount of hours and measuring my progress, for what? Sheeshk. I'll feel lucky if I even get 50% right.

jas31

New

Post by jas31 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 pm

I'd like an explanation from Barbri.

yurista

New

Post by yurista » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:32 pm

so much civpro

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:34 pm

I heard there was a new subject question put up. So we're going to have Wills as a MBE subject next, eh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”