Florida Bar: Part A Only

Cydiego

Florida Bar: Part A Only

Postby Cydiego » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:15 am

I'm retaking only Part A. Anybody else in the same boat or been here before? I'm wondering if you thought taking only one section was easier than taking the MBE as well, and did it make up for the disadvantage of not being able to average Part A and B scores?

Also, did you study the same amount of time? How did you attack and learn the material with only Part A in mind?

Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks.

LAW813FL

Re: Florida Bar: Part A Only

Postby LAW813FL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:59 am

Which bar prep are you using? I've heard Barbri does Florida specific stuff way better.

Cydiego

Postby Cydiego » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 am

I had a free retake with Kaplan so I'm using their online Q bank in addition to Barbri material that includes lectures and lecture handouts.

I've noticed a pretty big difference between the material included in both companies outlines. Although Kaplan has updated some of their questions, Barbri does seem to have the edge with Florida material.

lolaq

Postby lolaq » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am

Cydiego wrote:I'm retaking only Part A. Anybody else in the same boat or been here before? I'm wondering if you thought taking only one section was easier than taking the MBE as well, and did it make up for the disadvantage of not being able to average Part A and B scores?

Also, did you study the same amount of time? How did you attack and learn the material with only Part A in mind?

Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks.

I also had to retake only Part A, and I found it to be a little more difficult to study for because Florida essay subjects/distinctions were so broad, compared to the 6/7 you had to learn for the MBE's. However, the MBE's are much harder than FL in my opinion, and going into the exam I felt like I had a better grasp on the Florida subjects even though I had only studied for 6 weeks compared to the 2 and a half months I had spent before. My focus was on the essays, since I had failed overall by one point the first time, I pretty much used my same study methods (created flash cards of the rule statements and memorized them) and read the Barbri and Themis sample essay answers. I completed quite a few essays (maybe 10 or 12) under timed conditions and outlined about 30 of them, but read all the sample answers for the questions from the past 10 years. For the FL multiple choice, I did the all Barbri practice questions in the Florida Testing books and all the Themis ones. Barbri Florida materials far outweigh the Kaplan and Themis stuff. Do not take the multiple choice for granted, the questions are hard, so practice all the FL questions you can find.

My score for FL only for this past February was 160...compared to last July where it was 130. You will pass, and likely with a much higher score than in your previous attempt. The main thing for me was nerves the first time, so the second time I felt a lot better. As long as you practice, I think you will pass. Good luck on the exam!

Cydiego

Postby Cydiego » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for the response. Quick question about your comment. What did you mean by the Florida distinctions being harder to study for when studying only for the Florida portion?

With regard to the essays, I'm aware of what I need to do in order to study for the Florida specific subjects (Trusts, Family law, Dependency, etc) but am having trouble with the distinctions (and maybe this is what you were referring to in your post?) How did you study these distinctions? Did you re-learn the big subjects (Torts, Contracts, Con Law, etc) by re-watching the lectures? Or did you mainly just review the distinctions and practice essays?

Thanks again.

lolaq

Postby lolaq » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:53 am

Cydiego wrote:Thanks for the response. Quick question about your comment. What did you mean by the Florida distinctions being harder to study for when studying only for the Florida portion?

With regard to the essays, I'm aware of what I need to do in order to study for the Florida specific subjects (Trusts, Family law, Dependency, etc) but am having trouble with the distinctions (and maybe this is what you were referring to in your post?) How did you study these distinctions? Did you re-learn the big subjects (Torts, Contracts, Con Law, etc) by re-watching the lectures? Or did you mainly just review the distinctions and practice essays?

Thanks again.

I meant that there are so many FL subjects that could potentially be tested vs. the six or seven you absolutely know will be on the MBE. I would have much preferred having to re-learn only the big topics than all of them plus the FL distinctions and FL specific subjects. Evidence was especially a pain.
I did not re-watch any lectures, but yes, I mainly just reviewed the distinctions and essays...a lot of it was still in my head from the previous test, so it was easier to remember and understand, and I did this by creating flashcards on an app on my phone and went through them over and over again. I took a lot of the rule statements I memorized directly from the sample Barbri essay answers. FL tests the same things over and over again, so I was fortunate in February to get an essay that was very similar to one of the one's I'd read.

I know it's stressful (I'm preparing for NY bar now), but even the things that you didn't think you'd remember, somehow just comes to you after some practice.

Cydiego

Postby Cydiego » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:31 am

Any other takers?

941law

Postby 941law » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Can you pass just Florida and not MBE?

GucciManeEsq

Postby GucciManeEsq » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:59 am

Florida re-taker. Passed February 2015. Used Kaplan second time around. If you PM me your email, I can send you outlines I used to study for the essay portion.

My suggestion right now is to shoot for 1-2 essays a day and about 25 FL MC questions a day. Just getting the muscle memory down is important. The Kaplan essay graders are brutal, but it helps in the long run.

FloRida15

Postby FloRida15 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 am

Using Themis for FL in July -- any thoughts on where to find additional FL multiple choice questions. Anyone out there use Themis for FL in the past? what did you think of preparation for Part A?

Vic19

Postby Vic19 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:24 am

I had to retake Florida part A after failing by one point. My suggestion is to spend a week on civil and criminal procedure. I think that's how I passed the second time.

941law

Postby 941law » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Vic19 wrote:I had to retake Florida part A after failing by one point. My suggestion is to spend a week on civil and criminal procedure. I think that's how I passed the second time.

Dumb question: I know Fla day holds the right to also test an MBE subject, so do these multiple choice questions all say "in Florida..." Or do we just assume it is Florida based?

Vic19

Postby Vic19 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 am

Just Florida unless otherwise stated.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”