Barbri Course Supplements- Looking for recommendations

LoCali

Barbri Course Supplements- Looking for recommendations

Postby LoCali » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:30 pm

I am currently enrolled in BarBri and am registered to take the July 2015 Bar exam in California.

I have registered for adaptibar and am looking for advice on other useful supplements.

I have heard in the past that critical pass flashcards are useful. Any opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.

Barbri also offers a mini review course that goes over MBE subjects. Looking for feedback from those who chose to purchase this and whether or not they felt it was worth it.

Pros and cons for either supplement, or additional recommendations would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Neve

Re: Barbri Course Supplements- Looking for recommendations

Postby Neve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I wouldn't sink any more money into Barbri - skip their Mini Review Course and focus on supplementing with Adaptibar and Critical Pass. I used Critical Pass (referral link - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/3W6LZL6) during my bar study and I found it very helpful for memorizing the black letter law since I've always learned best by flashcard.

Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE is also very good; it contains tips on the the MBE subjects and older practice questions. It's available on Amazon. Don't forget to spend adequate time on the essays. Every point counts.
Last edited by Neve on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 pm

BarBri and Adaptibar should be more than enough, don't waste your money

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Adaptibar

I also used Critical Pass for memorizing the black letter law. It's basically the CMR in flashcard format and saved me tons of time since I didn't have to make my own MBE flashcards.

LoCali

Postby LoCali » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Thank you for all the input!

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

LoCali wrote:Thank you for all the input!

You're welcome and good luck! :D

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Kaplan's MBE QBank and Audio Lecture and the PMBR has also been recommended for supplemental MBE prep in addition to the highly recommended Adaptibar and Critical Pass

shn823

Postby shn823 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Hey, if anybody is interested in Adaptibar, I have a $50 off code. Code: KTJY

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Another vote for Critical Pass. Making all those flashcards would have taken way too long, and they leave you room to add stuff if you need to.

And honestly it's easier to take on the go. My roommate had a medical emergency and wound up in the ER and I accompanied her along with the K and Property sets and got some studying down in the bizarrest of circumstances. Very handy. I have the crim/crimpro/con and most of the evidence black letter down so taking the whole Conviser seems unnecessary.

Neve

Postby Neve » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Critical Pass sent me a 10% off code to share: FRIENDS10

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:43 pm

shn823 wrote:Hey, if anybody is interested in Adaptibar, I have a $50 off code. Code: KTJY

Barmax is a fraction of Adaptibar's price and has the same practice sets (but without the tracking/progress ability and it requires an iOS device for use).

Arbinshire

Postby Arbinshire » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:18 am

You don't need critical pass. It is nearly verbatim from the CMR. If you really feel the need to waste money, opt for the Android/iOS version instead.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am

I don't think anything additional to BarBri is needed. The only other thing I used was Emmanuel's book and took the 200 question practice exam. Those questions look much different than BarBri's. And on the real MBE, I noticed a few questions did look like Emmanuel's. It helps having had experience answering some of those stranger looking questions because it doesn't surprise you/throw you off your game during the real test when you see them.

One thing I would recommend that BarBri isn't very good at: Towards the final few weeks, take longer MBE practice sessions. BarBri always gives you either 18 or 25 MBE's at a time. That's good in the beginning. But you really need to build up endurance when taking the MBE. Towards the end, I was practicing 50 questions during a session. Sitting for 18 questions vs. 50 questions is a huge difference.

goden

Postby goden » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:41 pm

does anyone recommend skipping the barbri lectures entirely and just studying off the critical pass cards and barbri outlines instead?

abarrien

Postby abarrien » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:00 pm

goden wrote:does anyone recommend skipping the barbri lectures entirely and just studying off the critical pass cards and barbri outlines instead?

I do not. The lectures were essential to me, and I relied heavily on them. Of course, I did the practice quizzes and so on. However, I turned all the lectures into flashcards (resulting in about 1,000 self-made flashcards). The exercise of doing them was extraordinary. However, in the last two weeks, when Barbri says "review lecture notes / review mini outline," is when they were the most helpful. I just went over my flashcards for every subject, about twice for every subject, until I had committed the lectures to memory (it is easier to do that when you quiz yourself, as opposed to when you just read your notes). The lecturers will tell you "study from the lectures," and I think they are correct about that.

Finally, I will say that I passed, but I took this advice from someone who took a previous bar exam. He told me "do 100% of Barbri and turn the lectures into flashcards." The reason I listened is because he scored the highest grade in the state. I only completed 80% of Barbri and, towards the end, I was incredibly happy I'd made my own flashcards.

I guess the answer to your question is, at the very least, do not skip or completely ignore the lectures. For some of us, they were the key to passing (in addition to the practice MBEs).

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Critical pass was helpful. Also www.cram.com was a great place not only to make your own notecards but to use notecards from other people taking the test in the same state.

JonnyBart

Postby JonnyBart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:12 pm

I made my own flashcards using studyblue, I felt it added a lot especially with the iPhone app.

goden wrote:does anyone recommend skipping the barbri lectures entirely and just studying off the critical pass cards and barbri outlines instead?

Absolutely not.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Watch the lectures at 1.25 or 1.5 speed. Don't skip them, especially the MBE lectures. I skipped the meaningless topics, like equity and conflicts though. Every point matters on the exam, and you're going to pick up at least a few points on something funny/stupid the lecturer said.

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I skipped two Barbri lectures (tax and something else that is rarely tested on the Texas bar), but it's not a good idea. Barbri is designed to make you learn by repetition (watch lecture, review CMR, rinse, repeat) so you are probably getting more out of the lecture than you realize. I watched most of the lectures at home in 1.25 or 1.5 speed.

NY_Sea

Postby NY_Sea » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I personally think it depends on how you learn... If you don't learn by straight lecture, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad since you'd be wasting study time. I'm retaking (10 points away... Thanks MBE), so I already have the lectures filled in and I think I'm going to skip the lectures for Feb because I never really got much out of it other than waiting for them to give me the one word to fill into my outline.

Again... Depends how you learn.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 pm

I found the lectures helpful, but I'd skip Schechter's.

Arbinshire

Postby Arbinshire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 pm

I listened to all the lectures at home at 2x the speed with random pauses and repeating the last 30 seconds. There were a few things I had to go over multiple times because I wasn't familiar with the subject since I didn't take it in LS. (I'm looking at your Mr. Corporate veil).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”