Where do you study???

Calicakes

Where do you study???

Postby Calicakes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 pm

I have 3 small ,very clingy dogs and I find that I can't study at home. I usually leave every day( except Sunday) and head to the library( we have 3 fairly decent newish libraries in my town). I tried Starbucks and Panera once, but it was too noisy for me. I need absolute silence when I study.

I'm just curious where people are studying because I NEVER see anyone studying for the bar at my libraries.

EZ as AsDf

Re: Where do you study???

Postby EZ as AsDf » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:43 pm

I've studied at

-my sister's house with my sister's kids on my sister's family's time (though I had my own room)

-my dad's home in a small uncomfortable study space

-at coffee shops like starbucks, coffee bean, and other places with spotty WiFi

-the beach, in my car at the beach with a portable WiFi hotspot

-in the car while someone else drives

-at my work desk during break time and lunch

-in law school libraries and public libraries (some libraries had restricted access)

And the best place I've found to study was:

At home, playing lectures in the living room on the TV, brewing my own coffee, eating home cooked meals, taking a nap, using the desk in my room, and taking a walk around the block at times of frustration.

atticus89

Postby atticus89 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:57 pm

I think most people prefer to study at home, with obvious exceptions for people in your type of situation where studying at home is difficult or impossible. I personally study at home because I can watch the videos at my own pace, I can use my two screens to make a condensed version of the notes while I watch, I can pause, do 1.5x speed, etc.

But it varies. Some people need the structure of going to the lectures from 9-1 every day, then straight to the library to do the assignments. Some people thrive working in coffee shops where they're surrounded by tons of other people.

diowad

Postby diowad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Count me in as someone who needs the structure of showing up to class. So far I have studied in the following places:

-Law school library (not bad but super dark and makes me dreary)
-Law school commons (surprisingly my favorite of all my regular places because there's no one around since it's summer, it's wide open, and lots of windows which is important to me for some reason)
-Two local libraries (one was way better because it had an upstairs mandatory quiet area, while the other is like a damn daycare during the summer)
-My dad's office, which is nice because he has big conference rooms and takes me to lunch sometimes haha
-Fiance's place (absolutely hate it; she just doesn't understand)

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm not taking a bar prep class( been there, done that) so I don't have videos to watch( except for the occasional bar exam prediction video). I like to spread out all my stuff so I like the big tables at the library. Its too easy to do other stuff while at home too. Before I left this morning, I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, cleaned the bathroom, started a load of wash and made a marinade for tonights grilled chicken( my spouse is making the dinner before I come home). If I was studying at home, I could find 100 other things to do besides what I already accomplished before I left. Even folding laundry sounds more appealing than writing this property essay( Can you tell I'm procrastinating?)

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Home. We have a bedroom that we use for a home office, and I have it to myself 95% of the time. I like it because it means my commute is about 20 steps.

I was concerned that my bf would think that because I'm home all day, I can do things around the place all day. I was really direct with him about that from the beginning because I used to work nights and hated people thinking sleeping at home during the day = free to do shit all day. Seems to be going pretty well so far. I tidy up and tend to laundry etc but only on breaks/when I'm done for the day.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 pm

I go to local barbri class in the morning. I'd been going to the library after lunch (which ended up being long lunches), but I finally got my desk at home cleaned off last week. So now my lunches are shorter or taken at the desk.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

I study at home by default. My local library is too loud (despite the number of times I complain); I can't get a study room to myself and parking is only a two-hour parking lot. I tried the public law library but because it is open to the public, people bring their children in and the noise is unbearable. I relocated to CA, so I don't have the luxury of studying at my own law school's library.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Home, with two dogs who are getting restless.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:51 pm

I studied at a relatively new coffee shop over the winter (it was a hidden gem) - Starbucks was always crowded, Panera's wi-fi was slow and was too loud during the lunch rush, and non-major coffee shops were always crowded or the tables/chairs were too small to get comfortable with. The wifi was free and the food was good though I hardly ate much when I studied, just drank juice/water/coffee and they didn't mind me sitting there for 6 - 7 hours a day :D Plus, it was never crowded and always quiet!

At one point, the owner memorized my order and was cheering me on while I was studying. It was a small thing but definitely a slight morale boost when I wanted to jump off of a cliff in misery.

There was also a library @ a courthouse here that I went to on occasion but I preferred a more relaxed atmosphere void of seeing attorneys in suits.

I couldn't study @ my apartment despite having an office in it, I needed to get out and see people and feel fresh air in my "commute".

Shmuffalo_

Postby Shmuffalo_ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 am

So I've been in the process of moving between Pittsburgh and Buffalo. My family lives in Erie, which is mid point, and due to my father dealing with a serious illness, I've spent most of my time in Erie.

However, I find myself most focused when I'm totally isolated outside. It relieves stress, and I have a plethora of stressful factors (Bar exam probably being the least),.

I'd recommend getting outside of the library, classroom, or study in your home, and get outside. My 10 minute breaks have been jumping in the pool and then gearing up for the next session. It keeps an even keel.

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:20 pm

I wish I could study at the pool. Its like Africa hot where I live and I would love to hang out at the pool, but its not conducive to studying with all the screaming kids at the pool( we live in a condo).

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 am

Home, until I go stir crazy from being in the same space for a few days in a row.

My law school is very spacious and peaceful when I do get out there, but sometimes I can't be bothered with the idea of a commute + studying+commute back. Starbucks is alright for things requiring less concentration, like making flashcards.

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:47 am

Home but every little thing which i used to just ignore all of a sudden has become an excuse to stand up from my studies, requiring "priority". lots of distractions...

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm

I finally saw someone at the library who was studying for the exam. She was taking the simulated MBE( although she only stayed for an hour of it). I spoke to her, exchanged numbers and emails and then Poof, no response to a text and email. I guess some people prefer to study alone.

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Calicakes wrote:I finally saw someone at the library who was studying for the exam. She was taking the simulated MBE( although she only stayed for an hour of it). I spoke to her, exchanged numbers and emails and then Poof, no response to a text and email. I guess some people prefer to study alone.

LOL

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:34 pm

RaiRai wrote:
Calicakes wrote:I finally saw someone at the library who was studying for the exam. She was taking the simulated MBE( although she only stayed for an hour of it). I spoke to her, exchanged numbers and emails and then Poof, no response to a text and email. I guess some people prefer to study alone.

LOL

What do you find funny about my post?

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Calicakes wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

LOL

funny, not because you approached her, but funny because i'd probably do the same, being someone who is panicking inside and knows for a fact that you or anyone else prepping for the bar more likely knows more than i do at this point (not that she is like me). maybe she'll give you a call soon.

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm

RaiRai wrote:
Calicakes wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

LOL

funny, not because you approached her, but funny because i'd probably do the same, being someone who is panicking inside and knows for a fact that you or anyone else prepping for the bar more likely knows more than i do at this point (not that she is like me). maybe she'll give you a call soon.

I'm not holding my breath. She ignored an email and text. Maybe she gave me false info. LOL. Maybe she thought I was weird because I was so excited to find someone else who was studying for the CBX.

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:15 am

if i do timed practice exams, I do them at home, with earplugs, at my desk, in complete silence. for everything else, either coffee shops, or my bed. but ive been going to this hookah place to study lately but im spending too much money there on hookah.

but i feel like only studying at my desk only during practice exams gets me "in the zone". it makes that spot sacred.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Lectures - home, it's just notese and video

I rented a coworking space that's quiet and well-equipped and cheap. Everyone seems to be a chill artist type. I get my own cubicle but there's a couch available and I use that to do my essays and questions and any outlining not from the big outline book.

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:07 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Lectures - home, it's just notese and video

I rented a coworking space that's quiet and well-equipped and cheap. Everyone seems to be a chill artist type. I get my own cubicle but there's a couch available and I use that to do my essays and questions and any outlining not from the big outline book.

Thats interesting. Dont think I've seen one of those here. If so, it would be expensive I'm sure.

How much are you paying?

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Calicakes wrote:

Thats interesting. Dont think I've seen one of those here. If so, it would be expensive I'm sure.

How much are you paying?

100 a month, 24/7 access, free coffee. Do some research, it's a good environment.

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
Calicakes wrote:

How much are you paying?

100 a month, 24/7 access, free coffee. Do some research, it's a good environment.

Haha, very doubtful in Socal.

edit: Just looked it up, more like 400.00 a month.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 am

Calicakes wrote:
DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
Calicakes wrote:

How much are you paying?

Haha, very doubtful in Socal.

edit: Just looked it up, more like 400.00 a month.

Haha, I'm in NYC so plenty of spaces are available, but when I was in SoCal I know how you feel.

Back growing up though I grew up in Orange County where the houses were big and there's room. Here in NYC, my room literally can barely fit an ikea chair and a desk after the bed and closet stuff are put in, and it's awkwardly shaped, so I think the demand is way higher for proper working spaces here. My childhood bedroom in SoCal is the size of my NY apartment.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”