Use a Laptop?

holmes

Use a Laptop?

Postby holmes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:03 pm

The cost is $92. Is it worth paying it to not have to handwrite the essays? My handwriting is legible, but of course I type much faster. My primary worry is being at a disadvantage: I don't mind a little bit of hand pain to save that much money. In case it's relevant, this jurisdiction has never permitted laptops in the past. Thanks in advance.

mr.hands

Re: Use a Laptop?

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:16 pm

I can't imagine why you wouldn't go with a laptop if you have a chance. $92 is nothing, you spent 1k+ to take the test, possibly up to 3k on a bar course, and thousands to go to law school. If typing out your answers gets you just a couple of points more than handwriting would, it pays for itself several times over

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:09 pm

In FL it's $125 for a laptop. I was majorly struggling for money - like I had to beg, borrow and steal (minus the stealing) to get the $1125 total amount for the bar together. I did it because of the extreme disadvantage of being one of a handful, even 100, out of the thousands that take the bar, that choose to handwrite. Typing is faster. Erasing is easier. You can go back and add/change things. With the importance of every little point, I can't imagine not spending the money for the laptop fee.

TXlawyer17

Postby TXlawyer17 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:45 pm

The more you get on the page, the more bar exam essay points you accrue. Put the fee on your credit card if you have to...using the laptop for the bar exam is a no brainer, especially if you type faster than you write.

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:43 am

I failed the bar exam the first time I took it. I wrote the exam on my first attempt. I tried to hire a tutor, he looked at my answers and straight up told me that I would have passed if I typed the exam. He told me that the graders here in NV are harder on writers. Second time I passed the exam as a laptop taker. $92 is nothing. It's like $250 here in NV.

There are a whole bunch of reasons to use a laptop to take the bar exam. I'll just list a couple:

1. Copy and paste. If you write the exam, you have to make sure your formatting is perfect because you can't rearrange everything. On my second attempt, I totally screwed up the organization on the first question. Because I was using a laptop, I was easily able to cut and paste everything into the organization I wanted. I don't know for sure, but I think it was one of my highest scoring essays.

2. Speed. You can type way faster than you can write.

3. MPT. A lot of times, you straight up just have to copy a lot of statutory language. That can be tiring for your hand. It's super easy with a laptop.

4. Endurance. When I took the NV bar exam, you had to write 8 essays and an mpt. After I took the exam as a writer I couldn't even use my right hand properly for a couple of days.

holmes

Postby holmes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks all! Appreciate the uniformity of advice, and I will go with the laptop option.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”