Mini-Conviser Review Enough for NY Bar?

desperate4lawschool

Mini-Conviser Review Enough for NY Bar?

Postby desperate4lawschool » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 pm

Do you think that learning from the mini-conviser review only is enough to pass the NY bar or do I have to include material from the long outline/lectures as well? I bought the books from someone, so I don't have the lecture outlines and the long outlines seem to be packed with LOTS information which is bound to usurp too much brain juice. The only time I expect to go to the long outline is if I don't understand something (which so far hasn't happened), but want to make sure I can scathe by with just the mini-conviser. Thanks.

5ky

Re: Mini-Conviser Review Enough for NY Bar?

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:47 pm

the lectures + handouts are enough on their own. CMR is overkill, though i did consult it for MBE purposes when i needed some clarification.

desperate4lawschool

Postby desperate4lawschool » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:48 am

5ky wrote:the lectures + handouts are enough on their own. CMR is overkill, though i did consult it for MBE purposes when i needed some clarification.

I unfortunately don't have the lectures/handouts. I got the books online

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm

You absolutely have to compliment it with going through practice questions. It's enough to learn the black letter law and you'll be fine for the essays but certain shit won't resonate unless you do lots of practice MBE questions.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:39 pm

The CMR covers much more than you'd need to know and it'd hurt you if you tried to study mostly from that imo. If you don't have access to the lectures/handouts you need to find some source that will help you focus on specific areas of the individual topics so that you don't get lost or overwhelmed by the CMR.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:06 pm

5ky wrote:the lectures + handouts are enough on their own. CMR is overkill, though i did consult it for MBE purposes when i needed some clarification.

What about the fact that the essays often include points for things not in the handout/lecture? Do think its okay just to concede these points?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

What about the fact that the essays often include points for things not in the handout/lecture? Do think its okay just to concede these points?

yes. i conceded portions of entire subjects and focused on the most heavily tested items for the more minor state subjects.

look at the published essays from prior exams, which can be found on the ny bole website. they are really substantially easier than the barbri ones.

http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ExamQuestions.htm

imo limiting the universe you're studying is really key. if you limit yourself to the handouts and learn those cold, knowing that 75-8% cold is much better than knowing 100% vaguely

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:34 am

5ky wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

yes. i conceded portions of entire subjects and focused on the most heavily tested items for the more minor state subjects.

look at the published essays from prior exams, which can be found on the ny bole website. they are really substantially easier than the barbri ones.

http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ExamQuestions.htm

imo limiting the universe you're studying is really key. if you limit yourself to the handouts and learn those cold, knowing that 75-8% cold is much better than knowing 100% vaguely

If the assessments that we take after the lectures are representative of the exam, then I'd say the typical lecture covers only 40-70% of the needed content (depending on the quality of the lecture). That's what's scaring me to death. The assessment questions are taken from the big outlines.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 pm

I don't know what the assessments are, those are new from when I took the bar. I walked out of the NY day having guessed on a handful of NYMC and 1 sub essay question about workers comp, I knew everything else and memorized the handouts exclusively. I did not ever use the big outlines. It's just more of Barbri scare tactics

I thought the MBE day was trickier than the ny day

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm

5ky wrote:I don't know what the assessments are, those are new from when I took the bar. I walked out of the NY day having guessed on a handful of NYMC and 1 sub essay question about workers comp, I knew everything else and memorized the handouts exclusively. I did not ever use the big outlines. It's just more of Barbri scare tactics

The assessments are BRUTAL. They test the darkest corners of the big outlines.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:03 pm

3|ink wrote:
5ky wrote:I don't know what the assessments are, those are new from when I took the bar. I walked out of the NY day having guessed on a handful of NYMC and 1 sub essay question about workers comp, I knew everything else and memorized the handouts exclusively. I did not ever use the big outlines. It's just more of Barbri scare tactics

The assessments are BRUTAL. They test the darkest corners of the big outlines.

I'm thinking of skipping them for that reason and working on the simulated questions instead.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Simulated questions can dig deep sometimes as well

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

I don't mind questions that "dig deep," provided that they cover material that will actually be tested.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 am

I'm taking NY and 83% of first time takers pass. I'm going to trust that learning from the handouts is enough given that 4/5 people are passing.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”