Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

BelugaWhale

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Anyone know where to file an agricultural lien to perfect it as a secured transaction?

It is always the state corp commission, irrespective, of what the collateral is (real prop, personal prop, agricultural lien)

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:02 pm

So, this is a stupid question to be asking one week out, but... there's no such thing as short-answer questions anymore, right? They're all multiple choice now?

The instruction letter refers to multiple choice, but the email that I got from VBBE this morning says both:

"The essay and multiple choice questions will be on paper. Only your answers will be typed into the computer."
and
"You will need a blue or black pen for the short answer part of the exam."

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Anyone know where to file an agricultural lien to perfect it as a secured transaction?

It is always the state corp commission, irrespective, of what the collateral is (real prop, personal prop, agricultural lien)

I hope they don't test secured transactions. I really skimmed that material because it was lengthy and they haven't tested it in years (according to barbri).

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:50 pm

3|ink wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:Anyone know where to file an agricultural lien to perfect it as a secured transaction?

I hope they don't test secured transactions. I really skimmed that material because it was lengthy and they haven't tested it in years (according to barbri).

For better or worse, there was actually a secured transactions question on the most recent exam (Question #7, Feb 2015)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
3|ink wrote:

For better or worse, there was actually a secured transactions question on the most recent exam (Question #7, Feb 2015)

Guess I'll be studying that all day.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Can y'all confirm to me that the answer for question 5(a) on the most recent exam, Feb 2015, is that the motion to remand should be denied because removal was timely filed?

The reason I ask is that the sample model answers given by the consortium of VA Law schools (http://law.wm.edu/academics/howto/prepa ... %20QAs.pdf)

states that the motion to remand should be denied because it was filed too late. But based on my understanding and the dates, it was filed in time.

According to the facts, removal was filed for on November 27, 2014 and the motion to remand was filed on December 1, 2014. This is well within the 30 day time period. But the answer states: "Motion to remand was filed too late. A motion to remand must be filed within 30 days of the removal."

So I'm not sure if the law school consortium just entirely read the question wrong or I'm missing something

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:15 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Can y'all confirm to me that the answer for question 5(a) on the most recent exam, Feb 2015, is that the motion to remand should be denied because removal was timely filed?

The reason I ask is that the sample model answers given by the consortium of VA Law schools (http://law.wm.edu/academics/howto/prepa ... %20QAs.pdf)

states that the motion to remand should be denied because it was filed too late. But based on my understanding and the dates, it was filed in time.

According to the facts, removal was filed for on November 27, 2014 and the motion to remand was filed on December 1, 2014. This is well within the 30 day time period. But the answer states: "Motion to remand was filed too late. A motion to remand must be filed within 30 days of the removal."

So I'm not sure if the law school consortium just entirely read the question wrong or I'm missing something

Was the remand based on lack of SMJ?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Let me just explain what the answer I think should be and what answer was provided by the consortium.

The motion to remand should be denied because both grounds are without merit.

The first ground is that the "removal was untimely because it was filed after the 21 days in which Plumlee was required to file its answer in the Circuit Court." This is incorrect because the timeframe to remove is 30 days and not 21 days. As a result, the fact that the complaint was filed on Nov 3, 2014, and the defendant filed for removal on Nov 27, 2014, meant that the removal was timely.

The second ground for the remand is that the fed court lacks SMJ. But that's clearly met with diversity here. As a result, the remand should be denied.

Now the thing that is throwing me off is that the consortium also reached this conclusion, which is great, and said the same thing with respect to SMJ. But their answer to the timeframe issue is kooky. They said that the "Motion to remand was filed too late. A motion to remand must be filed within 30 days of the removal." And for that reason, the remand is without merit. But the remand motion was clearly filed within 30 days of removal.....so yeah, not sure if the consortium misread the question or I just messed up something

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:13 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Let me just explain what the answer I think should be and what answer was provided by the consortium.

The motion to remand should be denied because both grounds are without merit.

The first ground is that the "removal was untimely because it was filed after the 21 days in which Plumlee was required to file its answer in the Circuit Court." This is incorrect because the timeframe to remove is 30 days and not 21 days. As a result, the fact that the complaint was filed on Nov 3, 2014, and the defendant filed for removal on Nov 27, 2014, meant that the removal was timely.

The second ground for the remand is that the fed court lacks SMJ. But that's clearly met with diversity here. As a result, the remand should be denied.

Now the thing that is throwing me off is that the consortium also reached this conclusion, which is great, and said the same thing with respect to SMJ. But their answer to the timeframe issue is kooky. They said that the "Motion to remand was filed too late. A motion to remand must be filed within 30 days of the removal." And for that reason, the remand is without merit. But the remand motion was clearly filed within 30 days of removal.....so yeah, not sure if the consortium misread the question or I just messed up something

The reason I asked is that a motion to remand based on SMJ can be raised at any time, according to barbri. So the 30 day rule wouldn't matter if the SMJ claim had any merit.

It sounds to me like they just got it wrong. This was clearly within the 30 days.

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:37 pm

3|ink wrote:

Never took Secured and there is too much info in Themis to review. Hoping they don't test it too. It'll be a FML moment for sure.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 am

I can't find this in the outline or I'm just blind, but.. How many shareholder votes do you need to amend the articles of incorporation? I know in VA you need 2/3 of the votes for a merger and plurality for directors, but what about amending the articles?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:07 am

refinedwarrior wrote:Never took Secured and there is too much info in Themis to review. Hoping they don't test it too. It'll be a FML moment for sure.

Themis sent us an e-mail that said it was used as a full test question this past winter, and it's only used about 20%, so that makes this as safe a bet you can get. I didn't even look at it, too much effort, and at this point it'd just make me forget something useful.

I'm also rolling the dice on commercial paper, because it was used last summer and fuck the 17-part lecture they gave us. Also pretty low frequency.

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 am

anon sequitur wrote:
refinedwarrior wrote:Never took Secured and there is too much info in Themis to review. Hoping they don't test it too. It'll be a FML moment for sure.

Themis sent us an e-mail that said it was used as a full test question this past winter, and it's only used about 20%, so that makes this as safe a bet you can get. I didn't even look at it, too much effort, and at this point it'd just make me forget something useful.

I'm also rolling the dice on commercial paper, because it was used last summer and fuck the 17-part lecture they gave us. Also pretty low frequency.

Feel the same. I just regret taking VA right now.

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:13 pm

Has anyone heard anything about enforcement of this requirement:
*YOU MUST REMOVE ALL STUDY MATERIALS FROM ANY DRIVE ON THE LAPTOP COMPUTER YOU WILL USE FOR THE EXAM.

What qualifies? Do they really expect me to remove every single document I have buried anywhere in any of my documents folders that might possibly relate to a bar exam topic? That's years of school notes and papers. Or is this more like "don't have your Themis outline set as your desktop wallpaper"? Shouldn't Exam4 make this moot anyway?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 pm

GULCPerson wrote:Has anyone heard anything about enforcement of this requirement:
*YOU MUST REMOVE ALL STUDY MATERIALS FROM ANY DRIVE ON THE LAPTOP COMPUTER YOU WILL USE FOR THE EXAM.

What qualifies? Do they really expect me to remove every single document I have buried anywhere in any of my documents folders that might possibly relate to a bar exam topic? That's years of school notes and papers. Or is this more like "don't have your Themis outline set as your desktop wallpaper"? Shouldn't Exam4 make this moot anyway?

I never saw this notice, so I'm not going to think about it. I don't think you saw it either.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 pm

GULCPerson wrote:Has anyone heard anything about enforcement of this requirement:

I would think Exam4 would make this moot. But I formatted my hard drive just to be safe.

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:42 pm

I refuse to remove anything. If we have Exam4 then we should be fine. It takes care of locking everything down.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm so excited for a 4 hour road trip tomorrow.

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
jas31 wrote:Has anyone lost it yet? How are we suppose to remember all this?

Pretty sure I started the process of losing my mind today. Themis assigned me the lightest workload in two weeks, but instead of enjoying an evening off or trying to get ahead (catch back up, really) I stared skeptically at the schedule, watched 10 hours of television, and then went back to sleep. Definitely losing the psychological battle here.

Mind. Lost. Fk VA. Not ready...and need sleep. Tough working full time too.

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:52 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm so excited for a 4 hour road trip tomorrow.

From where are you heading to Roanoke? I'm in Fredericksburg. They really should have it somewhere else. Roanoke and Norfolk are dumb choices.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 pm

refinedwarrior wrote:

From where are you heading to Roanoke? I'm in Fredericksburg. They really should have it somewhere else. Roanoke and Norfolk are dumb choices.

Arlington.

Norfolk? Is that the February location?

refinedwarrior

Postby refinedwarrior » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 am

3|ink wrote:
refinedwarrior wrote:

Arlington.

Norfolk? Is that the February location?

Yes. And even Arlington would have been a great location. I loved heading there for classes.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:36 pm

do they allow us to go out for lunch? As in we can drive around for food, etc? Or is there food at the center and we eat there?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:do they allow us to go out for lunch? As in we can drive around for food, etc? Or is there food at the center and we eat there?

My impression was that we can go wherever. But there isn't much around. There is a McDonald's right across the street. There's a Wendy's a few blocks down. Also subway and Sheetz.

On an unrelated note, how many of you have completely internalized the deadlines for Virginia civil procedure (i.e. responsive pleadings 21 days)?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Shit and I just realized we're not allowed to bring an umbrella in case it rains. So we all get to ruin our suits if it does rain.

50% chance of rain tomorrow. Fuck them. I'm bringing my umbrella.
Last edited by 3|ink on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”