Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Have you all picked out your suits yet?

j/k. Wanted to start this up to gripe about VA not being a 50% MBE state and maybe trade tips on the VA specific material.

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby IamIn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:38 pm

I have no idea how I am going to manage the VA stuff and essays in general...They test like hundreds of subjects! I still haven't done any of the graded essays; I'm just terrified of them. :?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:44 pm

me too, I'm just kind of pretending the essays don't exist so far. I know the strategy of killing the MBE for an auto-pass on the essays isn't supposed to work for Virginia since it's 40/60 weighted, but I think I might go for that anyway. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll start to feel differently, but for now, I'm just trying to learn as much MBE material as possible.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Just learned that promissory estoppel is not an acceptable substitute for consideration in Virginia. For some reason this makes me sad.

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby IamIn » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:08 am

anon sequitur wrote:Just learned that promissory estoppel is not an acceptable substitute for consideration in Virginia. For some reason this makes me sad.


It is crazy and kind of cruel. :( Overall, however, I'm happy VA doesn't have its own crazy rules for everything. At least in the law of contracts.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:56 pm

IamIn wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Just learned that promissory estoppel is not an acceptable substitute for consideration in Virginia. For some reason this makes me sad.


It is crazy and kind of cruel. :( Overall, however, I'm happy VA doesn't have its own crazy rules for everything. At least in the law of contracts.



It's a nice break when we get a subject that doesn't deviate too much from federal. VA evidence distinctions are making my head spin right now.

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby IamIn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:21 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
IamIn wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Just learned that promissory estoppel is not an acceptable substitute for consideration in Virginia. For some reason this makes me sad.


It is crazy and kind of cruel. :( Overall, however, I'm happy VA doesn't have its own crazy rules for everything. At least in the law of contracts.



It's a nice break when we get a subject that doesn't deviate too much from federal. VA evidence distinctions are making my head spin right now.


are the evidence lectures (both MBE and VA) any good? I skipped torts, and so far I don't think it affected me too much..

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 pm

I haven't seen an independent lecture for VA evidence. My lecture was MBE, but it pointed out VA distinctions.

Are we talking about Barbri?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Also, I'm not even going to bother with practice essays until late June/early July. I think it's a waste to do them before I have the subjects committed to memory, and it's stupid to memorize shit this early in the game. I think the best strategy right now is to get all of the substantive lectures out of the way and outlined (condensed outlines obviously). But I've never taken the bar before so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:06 pm

3|ink wrote:I haven't seen an independent lecture for VA evidence. My lecture was MBE, but it pointed out VA distinctions.

Are we talking about Barbri?

Nah, I think IamIn and I are both doing Themis.

IamIn wrote:are the evidence lectures (both MBE and VA) any good? I skipped torts, and so far I don't think it affected me too much..

I found the MBE lectures pretty tedious, but the professor was okay, I think it's just the material (and maybe the fact that I took evidence in school). The Distinctions lectures were more helpful, lots of examples explicitly contrasting FRE and VRE, even though the professor isn't as good. But I'm also finding myself to be very lecture dependent, I can only read those outlines for about 5 pages before my eyes glaze over.

jas31
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby jas31 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Has anyone lost it yet? How are we suppose to remember all this?

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:35 pm

jas31 wrote:Has anyone lost it yet? How are we suppose to remember all this?


Pretty sure I started the process of losing my mind today. Themis assigned me the lightest workload in two weeks, but instead of enjoying an evening off or trying to get ahead (catch back up, really) I stared skeptically at the schedule, watched 10 hours of television, and then went back to sleep. Definitely losing the psychological battle here.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Just "registered" my laptop for the bar exam, I think. That just means you bought their stupid program for $150 and downloaded it? They don't care if you actually do the practice test right now, do they?

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:23 am

anon sequitur wrote:Just "registered" my laptop for the bar exam, I think. That just means you bought their stupid program for $150 and downloaded it? They don't care if you actually do the practice test right now, do they?


Nah, the practice test is just for your peace of mind.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:25 am

I know you guys are doing themis, but have you gone over Virginia Civil Procedure yet? Good lord.

I had it earlier this week and I just got done making 175 flashcards.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 am

no, haven't, definitely not looking forward to it. This may be dumb, but I'm planning not to do anything except MBE until July.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 am

anon sequitur wrote:no, haven't, definitely not looking forward to it. This may be dumb, but I'm planning not to do anything except MBE until July.

Sounds risky. VA is a 40% MBE/60% essay state, right? Or is it the other way around?

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 am

3|ink wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:no, haven't, definitely not looking forward to it. This may be dumb, but I'm planning not to do anything except MBE until July.

Sounds risky. VA is a 40% MBE/60% essay state, right? Or is it the other way around?


No, that's right. Definitely seems risky, although if you know the MBE stuff you can probably stumble your way to a reasonable score on any essays that are also on MBE topics (which is a good number of them, there are almost always essays on civ pro, real property, crim, and sales/Ks) even if you knew very little state law.

User avatar
BelugaWhale
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Can someone explain how it's graded beyond the 40%MBE and 60% essay? I know 140 is passing score but unclear how they arrive at whatever the final score is. And the VBBE website explanation isn't helping.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:45 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Can someone explain how it's graded beyond the 40%MBE and 60% essay? I know 140 is passing score but unclear how they arrive at whatever the final score is. And the VBBE website explanation isn't helping.


The MBE is 200 questions, but only 190 of them are scored. Each is worth 1 point, and then they scale all the scores upward, into a scale that's out of 200. So if you actually answered 120/200 correct (10 of those don't count, but we won't know which 10), your raw score might be something like a 135.4 (that was the July 2012 raw-> scaled rate, according to Themis).

There are 9 essays worth 10 points each, and 10 short answer worth 1 point each, for an Essay total of 100 points. So your raw score is X/100, then again it's scaled to a score of Y/200.

So your scaled essay total (out of 200) is worth 60% of your grade, and your scaled MBE total (out of 200) is worth 40%.

(.40 * MBE) + (.60 * Essay) >= 140

Then you pass. Is that more clear?

jas31
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby jas31 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:Can someone explain how it's graded beyond the 40%MBE and 60% essay? I know 140 is passing score but unclear how they arrive at whatever the final score is. And the VBBE website explanation isn't helping.


The MBE is 200 questions, but only 190 of them are scored. Each is worth 1 point, and then they scale all the scores upward, into a scale that's out of 200. So if you actually answered 120/200 correct (10 of those don't count, but we won't know which 10), your raw score might be something like a 135.4 (that was the July 2012 raw-> scaled rate, according to Themis).

There are 9 essays worth 10 points each, and 10 short answer worth 1 point each, for an Essay total of 100 points. So your raw score is X/100, then again it's scaled to a score of Y/200.

So your scaled essay total (out of 200) is worth 60% of your grade, and your scaled MBE total (out of 200) is worth 40%.

(.40 * MBE) + (.60 * Essay) >= 140

Then you pass. Is that more clear?


So they scale up the essay too to be in line with the MBE, right? So, if you got a 6 on each essay section, that'd be a 120, then scaled up by the MBE curve?

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 pm

jas31 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:Can someone explain how it's graded beyond the 40%MBE and 60% essay? I know 140 is passing score but unclear how they arrive at whatever the final score is. And the VBBE website explanation isn't helping.


The MBE is 200 questions, but only 190 of them are scored. Each is worth 1 point, and then they scale all the scores upward, into a scale that's out of 200. So if you actually answered 120/200 correct (10 of those don't count, but we won't know which 10), your raw score might be something like a 135.4 (that was the July 2012 raw-> scaled rate, according to Themis).

There are 9 essays worth 10 points each, and 10 short answer worth 1 point each, for an Essay total of 100 points. So your raw score is X/100, then again it's scaled to a score of Y/200.

So your scaled essay total (out of 200) is worth 60% of your grade, and your scaled MBE total (out of 200) is worth 40%.

(.40 * MBE) + (.60 * Essay) >= 140

Then you pass. Is that more clear?


So they scale up the essay too to be in line with the MBE, right? So, if you got a 6 on each essay section, that'd be a 120, then scaled up by the MBE curve?


The essay is scaled so that the average (mean) scaled essay score is equal to the average scaled MBE score. Doesn't necessarily mean they both get the same amount of points added though. (I think. Not 100% sure on this and the math is not my strong suit)

User avatar
BelugaWhale
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Ok, thanks for the replies.

1) So is it correct to say the scaled scores for essay +mbe will always be higher than raw scores?

2) And for essay, since it's 100 pts total but scaled to 200 pts, it would be wrong to just double the raw pts right? As in, say I get a 60/100 on essay. My final essay score would not be just 60*2=120 because of scaling right? So a 60/100=120 raw score may be 135 scaled essay right?

3) Also, what's a safe raw score to shoot for on mbe and essay? Is 60% correct on mbe (as in raw correct answers) cutting it close as a goal? And same for essay (that is 60/100)?

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby GULCPerson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:53 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Ok, thanks for the replies.

1) So is it correct to say the scaled scores for essay +mbe will always be higher than raw scores?


Yes. (technically if the exam was inappropriately easy I guess scaled scores could be equal to raw scores, but they could never be lower and that isn't going to happen).

BelugaWhale wrote:2) And for essay, since it's 100 pts total but scaled to 200 pts, it would be wrong to just double the raw pts right? As in, say I get a 60/100 on essay. My final essay score would not be just 60*2=120 because of scaling right? So a 60/100=120 raw score may be 135 scaled essay right?


Correct.

BelugaWhale wrote:3) Also, what's a safe raw score to shoot for on mbe and essay? Is 60% correct on mbe (as in raw correct answers) cutting it close as a goal? And same for essay (that is 60/100)?


Unclear. Themis states that "You’ll need an average of 7/10 on the essays and an average of 65% on the MBE to reliably pass" but that's not a hard and fast rule. If you got a 70% on each, you would pass regardless of what the scaling is this year, so that's probably the only truly safe number (but also unrealistic and unnecessary, because there is always going to be some scaling)

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Virginia July 2015 Bar Exam Hangout

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:34 am

Man. I dunno how I'd ever average a 7/10 on these essays. Thank god that's not necessary.

65%+ MBE is probably cake though.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests