Abiding to Barbri's "Personal Study Schedule" Sufficient?

kykiske

Abiding to Barbri's "Personal Study Schedule" Sufficient?

Postby kykiske » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:44 pm

I'm sitting for the July bar. So far, I've just been watching the Barbri videos, taking notes during lectures, and doing whatever my personal study schedule says.

A sample may read something like:

1) Review Con. Law Outline
2) Watch Con. Law Lecture
3) Practice 25 Con. Law MBE Questions
4) Outline Con. Law MEE Essay

I've yet to do anything beyond what the study schedule says to do. Is that to be expected this early in prep? Or should I start doing more MBE questions on my own initiative?

Thx.

gk101

Re: Abiding to Barbri's "Personal Study Schedule" Sufficient?

Postby gk101 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:47 pm

kykiske wrote:I'm sitting for the July bar. So far, I've just been watching the Barbri videos, taking notes during lectures, and doing whatever my personal study schedule says.

A sample may read something like:

1) Review Con. Law Outline
2) Watch Con. Law Lecture
3) Practice 25 Con. Law MBE Questions
4) Outline Con. Law MEE Essay

I've yet to do anything beyond what the study schedule says to do. Is that to be expected this early in prep? Or should I start doing more MBE questions on my own initiative?

Thx.

Doing everything on the Barbri PSP is probably overkill. You definitely do not need to do more than that

atticus89

Postby atticus89 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:23 pm

I was sort of feeling the same way last week. I started to add 33 MBE questions on the days that Barbri didn't assign any MBE work, based on some of the advice of people here -- so I was doing whatever Barbri said which was taking maybe 6-8 hours depending on the day and then adding my own 2 hours or so of MBE.

After a few days of this I quickly started to burn out. As they constantly say, it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's one thing to study (and I mean real, focused study) for 10 hours a day for a couple of weeks during finals -- it's another to expect that you can handle that workload for 10 weeks. The entire set of MBE questions that Barbri offers will be assigned to you as part of your personal study schedule over time. My suggestion (as if I know anything...) is to do extra MBEs when you're bored for sure, but don't feel the need to have it prescheduled in there every day. The PSP is adding more and more work slowly as the class is going on. I think the psychological effect of finishing an entire day of Barbri work and then knowing I had hours of MBEs waiting for me was becoming too much. So I just decided I'm going to keep up with the program and add MBEs where I feel I can handle them.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:55 am

I don't think you need to do more, but as you near the end it's probably helpful to ignore the Barbri schedule and just study what you want. By that point you'll know what your weaknesses are and should adjust accordingly. I'm talking about the last 1-2 weeks.

When I took the bar, I ended up watching the last few lectures all in one day and then doing my own thing the last two weeks. No need to force it at the end; if you think your time is better spent hitting a local topic instead of yet another mixed question MBE set, you should do so.

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 pm

It may or may not be enough, it depends on you and how you feel. You have to do what works for you.

I personally needed to do 1 hour of review each night to keep things fresh in my mind. I did 30 minutes of MBE subjects and 30 minutes of state subjects, with the state subject review in the order of testing frequency. I also needed to do a lot more essay writing than barbri assigned.

I completely ditched barbri's schedule during the last 3 weeks.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”