PSA: ExamSoft doesn't support Windows 10 or Mac virtual machines

rinkrat19

PSA: ExamSoft doesn't support Windows 10 or Mac virtual machines

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 pm

If you're like me, your PC is nudging you to reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out. I am not sure when this will happen (June 29, I saw on a tech site somewhere), but BEFORE YOU INSTALL A WINDOWS UPGRADE, CHECK YO EXAMSOFT SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS.

ExamSoft/Softest, at least for the Oregon bar exam, DOES NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS 10 AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

(Also, for Mac users, it apparently cannot be taken on Virtual Machine, Parallels, etc.)

So I might let my computer download the Win10 update, but I will NOT be installing it until after the bar exam.

paulshortys10

Re: PSA: ExamSoft doesn't support Windows 10 or Mac virtual machines

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm not very computer savvy....Does this mean I can or can't use my mac? (CA bar taker here).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:46 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm not very computer savvy....Does this mean I can or can't use my mac? (CA bar taker here).

Are you running Windows on a virtual partition or whatever they call it? (I'm guessing not, unless someone set it up for you.)

If not, then you should be fine. Macs in their natural state are ok.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm

This will not update automatically correct?

On a tangentially related point - any information on what all we need to "turn off" on our computer prior to stepping into the bar exam room. I heard turn off screen savers, antivirus software, and things along those lines (apparently horror stories of screen savers coming on and people not being able to open computer back up because examsoft locks everything). A list of this information would be great for someone who is knowledgeable.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Kage3212 wrote:This will not update automatically correct?

On a tangentially related point - any information on what all we need to "turn off" on our computer prior to stepping into the bar exam room. I heard turn off screen savers, antivirus software, and things along those lines (apparently horror stories of screen savers coming on and people not being able to open computer back up because examsoft locks everything). A list of this information would be great for someone who is knowledgeable.

I have a notification down in my system tray that invites me to "reserve my free upgrade" to Win10. It says that you can download it when the download is available (no date given) and install any time. So I don't think it's like a regular Windows update that will automatically install the next time you shutdown. Hopefully.

The Examsoft info page (linked to from my state's bar application form) has a link to tips about getting your PC ready to go, including disabling antivirus and such: https://customered.s3.amazonaws.com/QRG ... Takers.pdf

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:09 pm

From what I've read online, it does support a mac running on bootcamp.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I have a notification down in my system tray that invites me to "reserve my free upgrade" to Win10. It says that you can download it when the download is available (no date given) and install any time. So I don't think it's like a regular Windows update that will automatically install the next time you shutdown. Hopefully.

The Examsoft info page (linked to from my state's bar application form) has a link to tips about getting your PC ready to go, including disabling antivirus and such: https://customered.s3.amazonaws.com/QRG ... Takers.pdf

My understanding is you can download the Windows 10 update whenever you want within one year of its release. You might run into problems if Examsoft doesn't update their software to be compatible with Windows 10 in over a year, but I have a hard time imagining that happening. Anyone know what happened with the switch from 7 to 8?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I have the same notification, so I clicked it and went to get more info from Windows. Found this on their website, so we can all take a deep breath:

Windows FAQ wrote:What happens when I reserve?

When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:32 pm

3|ink wrote:From what I've read online, it does support a mac running on bootcamp.

Correct. It does not support *any* operating system running in a virtual machine, for the obvious reasons.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 am

Just spoke with Examsoft:

"There are currently no timetables that have been announced for Windows 10 support. Please keep posted with your school administration as they will be the ones to announce when we are able to support Windows 10 for your institution."

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just spoke with Examsoft:

"There are currently no timetables that have been announced for Windows 10 support. Please keep posted with your school administration as they will be the ones to announce when we are able to support Windows 10 for your institution."
guess we'd better not upgrade to 10 until we know we passed the bar.

summeisruined

Postby summeisruined » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 pm

I uploaded my answers and received an email saying it was uploaded

am i all good?

tallis9341

Postby tallis9341 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:37 am

So what is ExamSoft doing about people who are buying new laptops this summer right before they matriculate? It seems like they have another disaster brewing.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:46 am

tallis9341 wrote:So what is ExamSoft doing about people who are buying new laptops this summer right before they matriculate? It seems like they have another disaster brewing.

Pretty sure they're working on compatibility for W10 and it'll be ready in the next several months

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just spoke with Examsoft:

guess we'd better not upgrade to 10 until we know we passed the bar.

ExamSoft told me I can upgrade to Windows 10. The files are still retrievable, I just cannot open the software itself. I contacted them a few days ago.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:04 am

They do this every time a new OS launches (so, almost every year). Windows 10 will almost certainly be supported by December exam time, though not necessarily by October for half-semester classes.

tallis9341

Postby tallis9341 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 pm

ymmv wrote:They do this every time a new OS launches (so, almost every year). Windows 10 will almost certainly be supported by December exam time, though not necessarily by October for half-semester classes.

ExamSoft is now advertising Windows 10 support as coming in September. http://support.examsoft.com/link/portal/15157/15194/Article/170/PC-Requirements

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”