Adaptibar

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:50 am

florentine wrote:Done 500 at 70%. Is that a good area to be in or should we be looking for somewhere around 75%?


70% is really good I think.

I am currently at 680 completed with 72.5%. I also just took our Barbri midterm and got at 142, which put me at the 90th percentile of all test takers. Keep practicing and you will continue to climb. My difference in percentage correct from 500 --> 680 has been significant. Keep working at it!

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:51 am

70% translates roughly into a scaled-score of 150 (70% of 190, plus 15), which is a fair bit above the median scaled-score of which is something like 140-142. So if you're less bad at the rest of the exam than you are good at the MBE, you're golden. But if you're worse at the rest than you are good at the MBE, you might need more help from your MBE. I'm terrible at the essays, so I'm shooting for 80%, but will be happy with 75%.

florentine
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby florentine » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:52 am

Kage3212 wrote:
florentine wrote:Done 500 at 70%. Is that a good area to be in or should we be looking for somewhere around 75%?


70% is really good I think.

I am currently at 680 completed with 72.5%. I also just took our Barbri midterm and got at 142, which put me at the 90th percentile of all test takers. Keep practicing and you will continue to climb. My difference in percentage correct from 500 --> 680 has been significant. Keep working at it!


Awesome! Thanks! I got a 131 on the Barbri midterm putting me at 75th percentile, but being neurotic I assume that must be a fluke. Going to pump through more of these MBE as a result.

trustmouse83
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby trustmouse83 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:15 am

I just passed 1600 at 61%.

MNbound
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby MNbound » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:17 am

I have found the practice questions to be overall a good experience, but I'm not sure about some of the flashcards. I just got one that is just terrible in Civ Pro:

Q: When is there a constitutional right to a trial by jury?

A: When the claim seeks primarily monetary damages.

I'm not even sure why this was in the civ pro section, but it is just flat out wrong.

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:08 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:I just passed 1600 at 61%.


im hovering around 59-61 (median) in several subjects. I'm a little worried about whether thats passing or not. I remember someone telling me earlier that passing is likely far below that median range, so, i dunno....

EDIT- Sorry for the bargasm. if you don't mind sharing, what do you feel most hurt you in 2013? How were you scoring in prep then?

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I called Adaptibar. The state and nationwide comparison figures are averages, but he couldn't tell me if they were the mean. IF Adaptibar users are a representative sample of the Bar exam takes, is scoring above the average a good indication of being in a passing percentile?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:22 pm

there's no passing percentile, so not really. I'd just look at your absolute percentage, and figure out where that puts you as far as a raw score (generally, it's % correct x 190, plus 15 or so to account for scaling). Median scaled scores are around 140-142. You can pass with less than that, but it depends on your state and your performance on the other parts of the test. A 150 scaled score seems to be pretty safe in general though, unless you really, really bomb the other parts of the exam.

jamesm722
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby jamesm722 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
florentine wrote:I also just took our Barbri midterm and got at 142, which put me at the 90th percentile of all test takers. Keep practicing and you will continue to climb. My difference in percentage correct from 500 --> 680 has been significant. Keep working at it!


I assume that the Barbri statistic is based on only their students?

I did the 4 NCBE exams so far on Adaptibar and feel a lot better than I did last week. I went from worried to just wanting to get this over with.

trustmouse83
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:38 pm

victortsoi wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:I just passed 1600 at 61%.


im hovering around 59-61 (median) in several subjects. I'm a little worried about whether thats passing or not. I remember someone telling me earlier that passing is likely far below that median range, so, i dunno....

EDIT- Sorry for the bargasm. if you don't mind sharing, what do you feel most hurt you in 2013? How were you scoring in prep then?


I was in and around the same 60% in 2013. In fact, when I did the strategies and tactics mock paper, I scored 132 raw about 3 weeks out in 2013.
Ended up with 122.6 scaled on the exam. (I only got 13 property questions right on the actual MBE, so many mortgages questions! and although the scores didn't show it, I felt lost on all the remedies questions on contracts. I guessed nearly all of them.)
I think the main reason I failed in 2013 was down to totally bombing a wills essay (36.56 scaled!), and a 44.22 on the MPT.

All in , I still ended up with 641 when passing was 665. (the state was NY btw)

I would be certain of passing this time if it were not for the addition of Civ Pro. That subject is killing me, and if I shit the bed on it like I feel I will, then i'm just hoping that I can pull my essays up enough to get over the line. Worst case scenrio I maintain the 122.6, and essays averaging just over 50 would be good enough.

I don't knonw anymore.

Funny thing, this bar prep. You get days where you are absolutly convinced you will pass handily, then you get days where you are convinced you are going to fail. It really is horrible.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 pm

anon sequitur wrote:there's no passing percentile, so not really. I'd just look at your absolute percentage, and figure out where that puts you as far as a raw score (generally, it's % correct x 190, plus 15 or so to account for scaling). Median scaled scores are around 140-142. You can pass with less than that, but it depends on your state and your performance on the other parts of the test. A 150 scaled score seems to be pretty safe in general though, unless you really, really bomb the other parts of the exam.


You're correct. I was clutching at straws. In NY, I need 120 raw. That requires getting around 64 % correct.

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby victortsoi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:05 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:I just passed 1600 at 61%.


im hovering around 59-61 (median) in several subjects. I'm a little worried about whether thats passing or not. I remember someone telling me earlier that passing is likely far below that median range, so, i dunno....

EDIT- Sorry for the bargasm. if you don't mind sharing, what do you feel most hurt you in 2013? How were you scoring in prep then?


I was in and around the same 60% in 2013. In fact, when I did the strategies and tactics mock paper, I scored 132 raw about 3 weeks out in 2013.
Ended up with 122.6 scaled on the exam. (I only got 13 property questions right on the actual MBE, so many mortgages questions! and although the scores didn't show it, I felt lost on all the remedies questions on contracts. I guessed nearly all of them.)
I think the main reason I failed in 2013 was down to totally bombing a wills essay (36.56 scaled!), and a 44.22 on the MPT.

All in , I still ended up with 641 when passing was 665. (the state was NY btw)

I would be certain of passing this time if it were not for the addition of Civ Pro. That subject is killing me, and if I shit the bed on it like I feel I will, then i'm just hoping that I can pull my essays up enough to get over the line. Worst case scenrio I maintain the 122.6, and essays averaging just over 50 would be good enough.

I don't knonw anymore.

Funny thing, this bar prep. You get days where you are absolutly convinced you will pass handily, then you get days where you are convinced you are going to fail. It really is horrible.



Also worried about the essays, what do you think you did wrong in preparing for them?

trustmouse83
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby trustmouse83 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:04 am

I didn't know the law well enough to spot issues, and I sucked at making up the law when I had to. It's as simple as that.

trustmouse83
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby trustmouse83 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 am

Overall Average 55.7% 63.1% 62% 60% 69.4%
Constitutional Law 58.6% 64.2% 70.2% 64.4% 68.3%
Contracts 44.8% 65.1% 49.3% 59.3% 73.3%
Criminal Law 55.2% 69.5% 69.6% 64.6% 60.8%
Evidence 66.7% 63.2% 64.8% 59.7% 68.5%
Real Property 42.4% 55.9% 60.3% 60.9% 71.9%
Torts 69.8% 62% 62.1% 54.1% 75.9%

Each interval represents 350 questions.

I just passed 1750 questions with an overall average of 62%.

I have done only 20 or so Civil Procedure questions which I have left out.

I have no confidence I can get Civ Pro up to passing in the next 12 or so days.

How is everyone else doing?

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:17 am

trustmouse83 wrote:Overall Average 55.7% 63.1% 62% 60% 69.4%
Constitutional Law 58.6% 64.2% 70.2% 64.4% 68.3%
Contracts 44.8% 65.1% 49.3% 59.3% 73.3%
Criminal Law 55.2% 69.5% 69.6% 64.6% 60.8%
Evidence 66.7% 63.2% 64.8% 59.7% 68.5%
Real Property 42.4% 55.9% 60.3% 60.9% 71.9%
Torts 69.8% 62% 62.1% 54.1% 75.9%

Each interval represents 350 questions.

I just passed 1750 questions with an overall average of 62%.

I have done only 20 or so Civil Procedure questions which I have left out.

I have no confidence I can get Civ Pro up to passing in the next 12 or so days.

How is everyone else doing?


I'm pretty similar as you exception I've only done like 900. I would do the civ pro questions. They are hard af, but I learned a lot. And if you are dong Barbri I feel like they are really good together. Barbri tested the simple jurisidctional stuff, and big picture items while Adaptibar tested a lot of the nuances. Together, I feel like I'll have a pretty good handle on whatever they throw at me. I doubt that they will be as hard as Adaptibar question, but I don't think they'll be as easy as Barbri either.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 pm

A manager, aged 60, who had no plans for early retirement, had worked for an insurance company for 20 years as a managerial employee-at-will when he had a conversation with the company's president about the manager's post-retirement goal of extensive travel around the United States. A month later, the president handed the manager a written, signed resolution of the company's Board of Directors stating that when and if the manager should decide to retire, at his option, the company, in recognition of his past service, would pay him a $2,000-per-month lifetime pension. (The company had no regularized retirement plan for at-will employees.) Shortly thereafter, the manager retired and immediately bought a $30,000 recreational vehicle for his planned travels. After receiving the promised $2,000 monthly pension from the insurance company for six months, the manager, now unemployable elsewhere, received a letter from the insurance company, advising him that the pension would cease immediately because of recessionary budget constraints affecting in varying degrees all managerial salaries and retirement pensions.

In a suit against the insurance company for breach of contract, the manager will probably

A. win, because he retired from the company as bargained-for consideration for the Board's promise to him of a lifetime pension.
B. win, because he timed his decision to retire and to buy the recreational vehicle in reasonable reliance on the Board's promise to him of a lifetime pension.
C. lose, because the Board's promise to him of a lifetime pension was an unenforceable gift promise.
D. lose, because he had been an employee-at-will throughout his active service with the company.

I just wanted to check with you guys because I think that this is wrong. The correct answer is B. But the call of the question asks for breach of contract. Thus, there was no enforceable contract so wouldn't Plaintiff only win under quasi-contract? Or should I just take this to mean from now on that when they say breach of contract action that means restitution and quasi-contract?

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Kage3212 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 pm

I was always under the impression that promissory estoppel serves as the consideration substitute in this circumstance, and thus forms the basis for creating an effective contract.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:47 pm

That's how I'd read it. If you brought an action in that guy's situation, wouldn't you have to frame it as a contract claim? And then you'd claim reasonable reliance, to your detriment, which would cause injustice if not remedied, which would estop the defendant from claiming that there was no consideration.

jamesm722
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby jamesm722 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:17 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:Overall Average 55.7% 63.1% 62% 60% 69.4%
Constitutional Law 58.6% 64.2% 70.2% 64.4% 68.3%
Contracts 44.8% 65.1% 49.3% 59.3% 73.3%
Criminal Law 55.2% 69.5% 69.6% 64.6% 60.8%
Evidence 66.7% 63.2% 64.8% 59.7% 68.5%
Real Property 42.4% 55.9% 60.3% 60.9% 71.9%
Torts 69.8% 62% 62.1% 54.1% 75.9%

Each interval represents 350 questions.

I just passed 1750 questions with an overall average of 62%.

I have done only 20 or so Civil Procedure questions which I have left out.

I have no confidence I can get Civ Pro up to passing in the next 12 or so days.

How is everyone else doing?


The civ pro questions are ok for the most part. A few are really specific like Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and Seventh Amendment. Overall, they're not a bad test and you'll learn.

I've only done 500 questions so far, overall 79%; I'm only hitting like 35% on civ pro though. I'm glad I bought this, there were subject I thought I knew cold that I found out I don't; and topics I thought I sucked at that I apparently know well. It's a useful metric to change study plans

THE_U
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby THE_U » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:48 am

If I am hovering around 58-60% overall, is it safe to say I'm retaking in February?

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby victortsoi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:21 pm

THE_U wrote:If I am hovering around 58-60% overall, is it safe to say I'm retaking in February?



i should hope not. that takes into account your dumb beginning mistakes, which, hopefully, you wont make again once you've learned from them.

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby victortsoi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 pm

well look at it this way. I'm where you are kind of on adaptibar. I've done 500 questions and some subjects im in the 70s and others im in the 55 range. But I learned a lot and on barbri mixed sets im in the 70s. Its all about how you learn from your mistakes on test day.

THE_U
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby THE_U » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm at ~400 questions and am in the 70's/high 60's for 4 subjects. Right around 60 for another. Then I have two subjects (K and Property) where I'm sitting at 48% at this moment. I feel like I am learning from mistakes in every single subject except those two. I

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Civ Pro crushes my percentage correct and brings it down a nice amount. I don't expect the bar civ pro questions to be quite as obscure.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Adaptibar

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:29 pm

THE_U wrote:I'm at ~400 questions and am in the 70's/high 60's for 4 subjects. Right around 60 for another. Then I have two subjects (K and Property) where I'm sitting at 48% at this moment. I feel like I am learning from mistakes in every single subject except those two. I


It took me forever to get my property average up. Brought it all the way from 50% or even lower to almost 60%. I've done just about every single question. After there is a while you will start to pick up patterns.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests