Adaptibar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
victortsoi

Bronze

Re: Adaptibar

Post by victortsoi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:50 pm

can someone explain the "adaptive" aspect of adaptibar to me? There is a huge discrepancy in how im doing on adaptibar (45-50%) in crim law vs 66%, 74-76 percentile in barbri, and its freaking me out a bit. I know that usually people do better in adaptibar, because the questions are more "to the point". Dunno what to do.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 pm

victortsoi wrote:can someone explain the "adaptive" aspect of adaptibar to me? There is a huge discrepancy in how im doing on adaptibar (45-50%) in crim law vs 66%, 74-76 percentile in barbri, and its freaking me out a bit. I know that usually people do better in adaptibar, because the questions are more "to the point". Dunno what to do.
I dont have too much information for you about the adaptive part, as I havent gotten past the 50 questions for each subject part yet. But what I do know is that at least in the first 50 questions, it does seem like questions are completely random. So even if you are are only getting lets say 40 percent right, it could be that those 40 percent are some of the hardest that only 30 percent of people only ever get right. This can thus be followed up by a set of 8-10 that are super easy that can change your percentages. Hopefully that makes some sense. But ya, it would be nice to see in Adaptibar (at a later time) what our percentile in a certain subject is rather than just what percent we are getting right.

Calicakes

Bronze

Post by Calicakes » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Defendant was in State A one time. He has no other contacts with State A, except for one instance where he was in an accident with Plaintiff. P sues D in State A.

Adaptibar says that 1 contact with State A is enough to establish Personal J/X. How?

Where is the purposeful availement and minimum contacts? Is the one accident( the claim) enough to establish P/Jx?

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Calicakes wrote:Defendant was in State A one time. He has no other contacts with State A, except for one instance where he was in an accident with Plaintiff. P sues D in State A.

Adaptibar says that 1 contact with State A is enough to establish Personal J/X. How?

Where is the purposeful availement and minimum contacts? Is the one accident( the claim) enough to establish P/Jx?
Sure, this is specific jurisdiction. The claim arises from D's contact with the forum. Anytime D goes to a forum and injures P within that forum, D will be subject to PJ there. If you are looking for purposeful availment, just think that D physically went to that forum and caused and accident, thats enough for issues such as specific jx.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Calicakes wrote:Defendant was in State A one time. He has no other contacts with State A, except for one instance where he was in an accident with Plaintiff. P sues D in State A.

Driving through the state is availing yourself of its roads. That's enough of a contact. Auto accidents are always enough to get personal jx over a defendant (so long as the claim is related to the defendant's use of the vehicle in the jx).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 am

Kage3212 wrote:
paraguayfargus wrote:One of the books I read about prep (hacking the bar) spoke really highly of adaptibar. I've been really pleased with it, spending a few hours every day on it and watching my daily percent correct increase.
Are you doing the program according to their schedule? i.e. doing 50 questions in each subject prior to continuing on with further questions? Or, for example, are you just doing 50 evidence questions a day regardless of completing no torts, property, etc.
I'm just doing 50 questions mixed each day. I've been improving!

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:30 am

Same. doing 50 mixed everyday and cutting and pasting rules I don't know on my notes. i think i have 7-10 pages of notes for each subject I need to re-read and review. % not improving at 68% but i'm learning.

Are we really supposed to know the rule numbers for civpro? Adaptibar questions seem like we have to.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Constitutional Law (130 of 203) 64%
Contracts (135 of 247) 54%
Criminal Law (143 of 221) 64%
Evidence (146 of 230) 63%
Real Property (146 of 266) 54%
Torts (137 of 222) 61%

Total questions answered 1400. Overall accuracy 60.2%.

For what it's worth, I did the practice 2006 100 question MBE practice exam on Saturday and I scored 77%. I don't rate this as accurate though, because I would say that there were at least 20-30 questions that I had seen before, and simply remembered the right answer. I have also finished all of the property questions and they have started to repeat. If I can answer about 20 MBE's per day between now and the exam, I will finish the Adaptibar program.

The real thing that freaks me out though is that I took and failed NY last in July 2013 with 641 (665 is a pass) with a 122 MBE.
My greatest worry is civil procedure, I have never seen it before on the MBE. I have only sat through the review lectures once, those posted by Professor Nathenson on his website. I think he provides some great material free of charge but Im worried they might not be comprehensive enough, and honestly, Ihaven't started to answer the adaptibar Civ Pro questions yet. I am still trying to piece together an outline from his materials. I feel like if I devote a week to it, say 2-3 hours a day starting soon (by the end of this week), I can do the 200 adaptibar questions within 10 days or so. But I would be amazed if I can score more than 50% come the time, if that.

I'm a foreign educated candidate (UK) and I guess i'm just venting at the moment, but this bar prep thing is a killer. I'm also working full time (non-law related) right now and my time off for the bar starts of the 15th of this month.

Am I as doomed as I think? Thanks for reading.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:21 pm

So, by way of an update.
Like I was saying, I scored 77% on the 2006 exam on Adaptibar last week.
This week I did the 2009 exam and scored 80%, but i'm still not convinced!
I was scoring the exam myself as I went and I felt I had scored around 58/59.
I was dumbstruck to see 80 at the end.
Like I said before, I had seen some of the questions before, admittiedly not as much as I saw in the previous weeks exam, but I still feel like I don't know anywhere near enough to justify a score like that.

How is everyone else doing on the practice exams?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Forgot to mention timing. I sat last weeks exam in 2 hours and 2 mins.
And todays in 2 hours 21mins.
When I took the MBE last, I was just about getting finished on 3 hours.
So take from that what you will!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:55 pm

i started out worse and I'm doing better in general now, but, in general, im averaging at around 60-65% correct on adaptibar. Sitting in NY, should I be worried, or is this going to be a solid mbe score?

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am

victortsoi wrote:i started out worse and I'm doing better in general now, but, in general, im averaging at around 60-65% correct on adaptibar. Sitting in NY, should I be worried, or is this going to be a solid mbe score?
Check the percentage correct of other students in NY using their subject analysis feature by filtering to "state." The number there gives you the 50th percentile mark. Here in PA, half the people using Adaptibar are usually in the 50-59% correct range for any subject. So long as you are at that mark, you are at the 50th percentile at a bare minimum, which is well above passing in and of itself.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:24 pm

The civ pro questions are such a joke. Lots of typos and egregiously worded questions/answers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:21 pm

as i mentioned somewhere else, the adaptibar questions seem way more insane than the barbri ones. Makes sense, because if you look at the averages per subject, people are getting only 40% right on average for civ pro, while others can be as high as 60 something.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Checking in at 500 questions completed, 71.8% accuracy. I have continued to get brutalized by Contracts, despite going over the entire subject for the entirety of yesterday. Any tips for Ks people have found particularly helpful?

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:33 am

For contracts, the thing I found most useful was to split it into two topics.
Contracts (common law services), and Sales (questions involving the UCC).
If you can get to grips with that, and keep both subjects separate in your head, it definitely helps.
Along with Property, Contracts has been one of my worst subjects.

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:46 am

trustmouse83 wrote:For contracts, the thing I found most useful was to split it into two topics.
If you can get to grips with that, and keep both subjects separate in your head, it definitely helps.
Agreed. I separated contracts and UCC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:46 am

Do you guys do Adaptibar's practice exams or just the practice questions (assuming you have yet to finish all practice questions)?

SouthernGent

New

Post by SouthernGent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 am

trustmouse83 wrote:For contracts, the thing I found most useful was to split it into two topics.
Ks is consistently my best subject--start with the usual: read the call and identify C/L or UCC. Next, as you're reading the Q, note the usual important factors: dates (infancy, time limits for SoF, etc.), dollar amounts (triggers damage Qs), various words of formation and/or conditions. Next, go through the following questions in your head:
(1) Is the contract for goods, lands, or services and, if it's for goods, are there any merchants involved?
(2) Oral or written K?
(3) Are there any 3Ps and if so, have their rights vested?
(4) Any applicable defenses (e.g., SoF, unilateral mistake, prior duty, etc.)
(5) What remedy is applicable? Equity or at law?--i.e., specific performance (ALWAYS for land) and remember other special circumstances

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:26 pm

please, please tell me that the civ pro questions aren't realistic. jesus.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Update, July 9th, and still haven't begun to look at Civ Pro.
I'm actually activly trying to figure out what i'd need to score in the other subjects if I got a 0 in Civ Pro.

That bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:15 pm

just do the ncbe questions. I got a 7/10 on them, and im getting 66% of barbri right in civ pro. Adaptibar- 25%. Its nuts.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:18 pm

How many NCBE questions are there? Enough to prepare?

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:27 pm

no unfortunately, only 10. but enough for you to realize that the adaptibar questions probably aren't indicative. At least i hope.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:27 am

Done 500 at 70%. Is that a good area to be in or should we be looking for somewhere around 75%?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”