Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

wakeJD15

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby wakeJD15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:50 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Ugh. I'm going the wrong direction now. Only hitting 63% on multiple choice today, when I'd been consistently in the 75-85% range for a couple of weeks. Missing tons due to reading comprehension/misinterpretation issues.

I hope this is normal. My MEE still sucks and I can't afford to be at anything other than high 60s or better on exam day.

I'm the same way, falling for the trap answers that I was avoiding in the last couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to over think the questions a little bit

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:56 pm

wakeJD15 wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:Ugh. I'm going the wrong direction now. Only hitting 63% on multiple choice today, when I'd been consistently in the 75-85% range for a couple of weeks. Missing tons due to reading comprehension/misinterpretation issues.

I hope this is normal. My MEE still sucks and I can't afford to be at anything other than high 60s or better on exam day.

I'm the same way, falling for the trap answers that I was avoiding in the last couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to over think the questions a little bit

Me too, although my score was never that high, its certainly dropped the last 2 days. 60% on the last 5 sets of 33 mixed. Falling for basic reading comprehension problems.

CurryWithTheShot

Postby CurryWithTheShot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Ok, I just took the additional Kaplan Bar Exam Test and got 115. Any tips to how to stay consistent over the final days and increase my score by even 10-20 points? What is everyone doing? Flash cards and practice tests?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Ugh, have done a handful of essays today. 1 went well, 1 went OK, and 1 went terribly...

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 pm

Anyone else find the MBE questions in the Emanuel book significantly easier than the Kaplan questions? I guess I don't feel that great about them while I'm doing them, because they're not "easy", but I'm getting a lot more right than of Kaplan's, and I'm doing solid on Kaplan.

coffeeandcream

Postby coffeeandcream » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Everyone seems to have a problem getting up. And I do too, but because I'm starting to get really really awful insomnia.

Went to bed at 12:30 am last night. Lay in bed determinedly until about 3. Moved downstairs to the couch, watched an episode of Friends, still couldn't sleep. Read my leansheets til 5 am.

I just can't seem to shut my brain off. Not that it doesn't anything productive, but instead I get a constant narration in my head. I know I can't just start night-owling and then messing up my awakeness come test day. But I just.. I dunno what to do. Sleeping pills knock me out all night but I'm groggy all day as well.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:09 am

CurryWithTheShot wrote:Ok, I just took the additional Kaplan Bar Exam Test and got 115. Any tips to how to stay consistent over the final days and increase my score by even 10-20 points? What is everyone doing? Flash cards and practice tests?

If it helps, the bonus practice test is allegedly even harder than Kaplan's final MBE. A 115 on that probably isn't too bad. Kaplan says it's 10 points harder than their own final, which in turn is harder than the real MBE.

That's worth at LEAST a scaled 140. Maybe higher.

despina

Postby despina » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 am

coffeeandcream wrote:Everyone seems to have a problem getting up. And I do too, but because I'm starting to get really really awful insomnia.

Went to bed at 12:30 am last night. Lay in bed determinedly until about 3. Moved downstairs to the couch, watched an episode of Friends, still couldn't sleep. Read my leansheets til 5 am.

I just can't seem to shut my brain off. Not that it doesn't anything productive, but instead I get a constant narration in my head. I know I can't just start night-owling and then messing up my awakeness come test day. But I just.. I dunno what to do. Sleeping pills knock me out all night but I'm groggy all day as well.

Oh man, that sounds miserable.

I had some sleep trouble a few years back. Doctors I spoke with recommended not "just lying there" if you're really having trouble sleeping for more than a half hour or so. Instead, they recommend doing a quiet activity that doesn't require a screen, and doesn't involve the stress of the day, like reading a novel or doing a puzzle. They also recommended no screens an hour before my target bedtime, which is really challenging for me but definitely helpful. I also do very basic meditation and breathing exercises.

decemberstar82

Postby decemberstar82 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:31 am

coffeeandcream wrote:I just can't seem to shut my brain off. Not that it doesn't anything productive, but instead I get a constant narration in my head. I know I can't just start night-owling and then messing up my awakeness come test day. But I just.. I dunno what to do. Sleeping pills knock me out all night but I'm groggy all day as well.

I had the same problem through most of law school and into bar prep, mostly because of anxiety. If I did it consistently, it would help me fall asleep if I wrote down everything I was worried/ anxious about (1L/LR/failing the bar) and kept the note pad by my bed. When it was on the paper, I would force myself away from thinking about it while trying to fall asleep, and if something new popped into my head I'd add it to the list. Also helpful for me personally is to set up everything for the next day before I go to sleep. If I have clothes picked/ coffee on a timer/ lunch packed, I tell myself I can relax a bit, because everything in the morning is already done.

despina

Postby despina » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:01 am

decemberstar82 wrote:
coffeeandcream wrote:I just can't seem to shut my brain off. Not that it doesn't anything productive, but instead I get a constant narration in my head. I know I can't just start night-owling and then messing up my awakeness come test day. But I just.. I dunno what to do. Sleeping pills knock me out all night but I'm groggy all day as well.

I had the same problem through most of law school and into bar prep, mostly because of anxiety. If I did it consistently, it would help me fall asleep if I wrote down everything I was worried/ anxious about (1L/LR/failing the bar) and kept the note pad by my bed. When it was on the paper, I would force myself away from thinking about it while trying to fall asleep, and if something new popped into my head I'd add it to the list. Also helpful for me personally is to set up everything for the next day before I go to sleep. If I have clothes picked/ coffee on a timer/ lunch packed, I tell myself I can relax a bit, because everything in the morning is already done.

Ooh great advice. Both of those things (adding things to a list so I don't have to keep stewing about them / prepping for the morning before going to sleep) have been very helpful for me as well.

coffeeandcream

Postby coffeeandcream » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am

decemberstar82 wrote:

This is great! If anyone has anymore, please keep them coming. It's been a nightmare the past few days, and at this point I'm ready to try anything. Went and bought some camomille tea yesterday, washed all my sheets for fresh ones, started dimming the lights at around 11 etc.

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:58 am

coffeeandcream wrote:
decemberstar82 wrote:

This is great! If anyone has anymore, please keep them coming. It's been a nightmare the past few days, and at this point I'm ready to try anything. Went and bought some camomille tea yesterday, washed all my sheets for fresh ones, started dimming the lights at around 11 etc.

Exercise? Ive been working out almost daily to keep the anxiety at bay.

wakeJD15

Postby wakeJD15 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:58 am

Really struggling with the homicide questions that require us to distinguish between depraved heart, intent to inflict serious bodily harm, and involuntary manslaughter.

I know all the definitions and stuff, but can never seem to make the right judgment call on the facts. If I think an act was just criminally negligent, then they say it was reckless and visa versa

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:14 pm

wakeJD15 wrote:Really struggling with the homicide questions that require us to distinguish between depraved heart, intent to inflict serious bodily harm, and involuntary manslaughter.

I know all the definitions and stuff, but can never seem to make the right judgment call on the facts. If I think an act was just criminally negligent, then they say it was reckless and visa versa

These ones are a bitch. I've noticed that if there is any sort of misdemeanor involved, they almost always tend to go the involuntary route (even if it seems conduct during the misdemeanor was wanton and reckless). For anything else, depraved heart takes alot. I usually think: How likely is a death to result from this sort of conduct. If very likely, I go w/depraved heart. If less likely or more of a freak accident in relation to conduct, I go with involuntary manslaughter.

Lastly, these questions are hard, but also good. You're almost guaranteed to knockout 2 wrong answers right off the bat, so there's that :)

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:02 pm

If I get one more multiple choice explanation that says I picked the correct answer, but it is nevertheless wrong because there was a more correct correct answer, and it is an extremely close call, I am going to lose my shit.

On some of these, I am fairly confident that I could argue the position of the "incorrect answer" in court and win. I'm getting this a lot on Crim Law questions especially.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Annnd, my production has come to a complete halt. I don't think I have much more in me before the bar.

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 pm

odoylerulez wrote:If I get one more multiple choice explanation that says I picked the correct answer, but it is nevertheless wrong because there was a more correct correct answer, and it is an extremely close call, I am going to lose my shit.

On some of these, I am fairly confident that I could argue the position of the "incorrect answer" in court and win. I'm getting this a lot on Crim Law questions especially.

I remember one of the explanations I got was basically "in real life, this would be good. But this is not the best answer, so it is wrong." Thanks. :roll:

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:27 pm

coffeeandcream wrote:Everyone seems to have a problem getting up. And I do too, but because I'm starting to get really really awful insomnia.

NO sleep last night. Not by choice either. Just chilled out in bed and couldn't even recite rules correctly because I was second-guessing myself. I just wanted to sleep!

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 pm

redblueyellow wrote:

NO sleep last night. Not by choice either. Just chilled out in bed and couldn't even recite rules correctly because I was second-guessing myself. I just wanted to sleep!

Honestly, this might be the worst fucking side-effect of this entire thing. Every time I close my eyes to go to sleep, I find myself remembering random rules and spouting off random issues. It's automatic and I can't stop myself...WTF

Pretty sure I'm dying. Maybe I'm already dead. Fuck the Bar

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Do we have any information as to whether the average QBank question is easier or harder than the questions on the bar?

If not, can someone just tell me that the Qbank is harder?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:07 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Do we have any information as to whether the average QBank question is easier or harder than the questions on the bar?

If not, can someone just tell me that the Qbank is harder?

(I've heard that Barbri questions are more difficult than Kaplan questions). I've heard that Kaplan questions are more similar to actual bar exam questions, though what we had on the final MBE is -- I think -- on balance going to be harder than the actual MBE based on what Chris Fromm said (he tried not to put any "1s" in, just "2s" and "3s").

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Gonna lose it with these essay graders. 3 days to test time and I'm getting essays from last week back I thought I'd done well... "does not demonstrate sufficient competency." "discuss more about X" - whole essay was about X.

Please make this end.

CurryWithTheShot

Postby CurryWithTheShot » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:16 pm

I have been doing practice MBE tests and MBE questions for the last 3 days and my score is consistently around 58%. Is it safe to say I'm screwed with the MBE portion and need to get a great score on the MEE (which I suck at?)

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:44 am

The struggle is real. If anything I'm even more tired today after going to bed earlier and waking up at 630am again.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:41 am

CurryWithTheShot wrote:I have been doing practice MBE tests and MBE questions for the last 3 days and my score is consistently around 58%. Is it safe to say I'm screwed with the MBE portion and need to get a great score on the MEE (which I suck at?)

Depends - what % of the bar is the MBE worth? Also, I'm hoping that overall, Kaplan questions are a little harder than the MBE questions. That remains to be seen, though. Regardless, there's still a few days left - we can do it. (hopefully)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”