Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

gregfootball2001

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

anjmissy wrote:The final study plan is definitely not practical..it would have about 4 or 5 subjects in a day then tell you to spend an hour doing one thing..one doesn't just spend an hour reviewing property lol

My daily goal until Sunday is doing 50 mbe a day, outlining 6 essays, 3 on one area I'm doing in the morning and 3 on another then reviewing the big outline book after for those two subjects

Agreed. I've pretty much abandoned it entirely. MBE is king in my state (20/30/50%, MPT/essay/MBE), so I'm doing 2-3 essays and 100 MBE questions a day. It's a slog, but it's done soon! Can't wait for Auuuuuuuugust.

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:19 am

Kaplan MBE q venting:

"Temperatures in the New England town plummeted from 50 degrees to below freezing rapidly."

The entire questions turns on whether this is foreseeable or not.

Answer explanation: "A wintertime cold front is an ordinary and expected occurrence in a New England town."

There are many "judgment calls" in questions as to what is reasonable or predictable. But, as someone from the Northeast, temperatures do not drop 50 degrees in a matter of hours.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:21 am

gabewatch wrote:Kaplan MBE q venting:

"Temperatures in the New England town plummeted from 50 degrees to below freezing rapidly."

Answer explanation: "A wintertime cold front is an ordinary and expected occurrence in a New England town."

There are many "judgment calls" in questions as to what is reasonable or predictable. But, as someone from the Northeast, temperatures do not drop 50 degrees in a matter of hours.

I remember getting that one wrong as well. Sure, wintertime cold fronts are expected, but a 50 degree plummet in a matter of minutes? lol

dat209

Postby dat209 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:24 am

orangecup wrote:

I remember getting that one wrong as well. Sure, wintertime cold fronts are expected, but a 50 degree plummet in a matter of minutes? lol

50-32 = 18. Its only an 18 degree drop. That seems reasonable in a few hours for most parts of the country, especially in the fall and/or spring where it can be warm during the day but cold at night.

despina

Postby despina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:25 am

I read this question as "from 50 degrees to below freezing" --> from 50 to below 32 --> drop of 18+ degrees, not 50 degrees. This is totally foreseeable for New England, but I don't think it's really fair to ask people from other parts of the country to know that. [ETA scooped]

But yeah, generally, one of my general struggles in law in general, and the MBE in particular, is applying supposedly objective "reasonable" standards. On an essay I can at least argue why my own intuition is "reasonable." On the MBE I have to magically get into somebody else's head.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 am

dat209 wrote:
orangecup wrote:

50-32 = 18. Its only an 18 degree drop. That seems reasonable in a few hours for most parts of the country, especially in the fall and/or spring where it can be warm during the day but cold at night.

RC fail on my part then. Read it as "plummeted 50 degrees" and ignored the last part. I think I need to take a break :x

dat209

Postby dat209 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

despina wrote:

I read this question as "from 50 degrees to below freezing" --> from 50 to below 32 --> drop of 18+ degrees, not 50 degrees. This is totally foreseeable for New England, but I don't think it's really fair to ask people from other parts of the country to know that. [ETA scooped]

But yeah, generally, one of my general struggles in law in general, and the MBE in particular, is applying supposedly objective "reasonable" standards. On an essay I can at least argue why my own intuition is "reasonable." On the MBE I have to magically get into somebody else's head.

Yea, MBE standards of reasonableness do not seem to be universal by any means. I try to think of it as what an attorney with 20-30 years of experience writing the question would think is reasonable. Often different than my initial instinct.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 am

How are you guys going about fixing your sleep schedules for this? I'm having a really hard time waking up before 9am, and even when I do I'm exhausted. I go to bed between 12-1am.

despina

Postby despina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:09 am

orangecup wrote:How are you guys going about fixing your sleep schedules for this? I'm having a really hard time waking up before 9am, and even when I do I'm exhausted. I go to bed between 12-1am.

Yeah, I'm working on this too.

I'm setting my alarm a half hour earlier every day, and forcing myself to wake up at that time even if I feel tired. That's helping me fall asleep earlier, too. I'm also trying to stop studying at least an hour before my target sleep time so that I can relax a bit, though who am I kidding, I'm still dreaming about the bar.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:19 am

despina wrote:
orangecup wrote:How are you guys going about fixing your sleep schedules for this? I'm having a really hard time waking up before 9am, and even when I do I'm exhausted. I go to bed between 12-1am.

Yeah, I'm working on this too.

I'm setting my alarm a half hour earlier every day, and forcing myself to wake up at that time even if I feel tired. That's helping me fall asleep earlier, too. I'm also trying to stop studying at least an hour before my target sleep time so that I can relax a bit, though who am I kidding, I'm still dreaming about the bar.

Good idea I'll have to give this a try. I'll shoot for 830 tomorrow morning! What time are you planning on waking up test day? I figured 645am or so is fine since I need to be at the test center at 730am

despina

Postby despina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:25 am

orangecup wrote: What time are you planning on waking up test day? I figured 645am or so is fine since I need to be at the test center at 730am

Since I need some time to get to my test center, I'm planning to wake up at 6, unfortunately, so I'm aiming to be in bed by 9:30/10 and awake at 6 by this weekend so I can get into that cycle for a few days.

I've never taken sleep/wake cycle so seriously for standardized tests before because I can run on adrenaline for one morning (MPRE, LSAT etc). But for two days, I don't think that's going to cut it.

JenOkie

Postby JenOkie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Is everyone's final study plan the same for CA Bar takers? I'm being told to focus on Will, Community Property, and Crim Pro. Is that just for me or do you guys have the same requirements for California?

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:57 pm

I still don't have a final study plan.

I mean, I was planning on fully ignoring it, but come on Kaplan, get it together.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:40 pm

odoylerulez wrote:I still don't have a final study plan.

I mean, I was planning on fully ignoring it, but come on Kaplan, get it together.

I got mine yesterday around 5 PM. It included recommended studying for yesterday, too, which is just stupid.

Could it be on hold if you don't finish some part of the final or the Fromm review? Maybe that's why mine came late...

Anyway, it's not that helpful. It basically just assigns a PT/day or a couple of essays /day, plus recommended re-reading and one-noting for specific subjects.

JenOkie

Postby JenOkie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:

I got mine yesterday around 5 PM. It included recommended studying for yesterday, too, which is just stupid.

Could it be on hold if you don't finish some part of the final or the Fromm review? Maybe that's why mine came late...

Anyway, it's not that helpful. It basically just assigns a PT/day or a couple of essays /day, plus recommended re-reading and one-noting for specific subjects.

Oh ok, I got mine yesterday as well what subject did they recommend for you?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:09 pm

JenOkie wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Oh ok, I got mine yesterday as well what subject did they recommend for you?

The first primary subject was Trusts, with some Torts reading sprinkled throughout.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Quick Q guys,

Did 66 MBEs (mixed sets) the past two days. Averaged 77.5%. Should I continue to drill MBEs to stay fresh with them these next few days? Or should I just call it good and focus on state stuff?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:57 pm

orangecup wrote:Quick Q guys,

Did 66 MBEs (mixed sets) the past two days. Averaged 77.5%. Should I continue to drill MBEs to stay fresh with them these next few days? Or should I just call it good and focus on state stuff?

At a minimum you want to stay fresh and ready, etc. 33/day seems like a good balance at this point. Even at snails pace, that's 1 hour. If you're faster, 45 minutes.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:

At a minimum you want to stay fresh and ready, etc. 33/day seems like a good balance at this point. Even at snails pace, that's 1 hour. If you're faster, 45 minutes.

Agreed, that's exactly what I'm doing, and my % is right around the same as you orangecup. My goal is to maintain rather than improve in that department.

Seems that the best use of time at this point is on the essay-only subjects because those are where the most points can be gained now.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Also, this final study plan seems like a joke. Is anyone actually following this?

It has me doing almost all MBE subjects from now until the exam, and ONLY MBE-subject essays -- not a single MEE-only subject. The only stuff it has me doing on MEE topics is "reviewing one sheets," "review bar points," etc.

Seems stupid.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:02 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Agreed, that's exactly what I'm doing, and my % is right around the same as you orangecup. My goal is to maintain rather than improve in that department.

Seems that the best use of time at this point is on the essay-only subjects because those are where the most points can be gained now.

Sounds good! Yeah, I'd be thrilled if I even performed slightly worse on the real MBE haha

Absolutely. I'm spending tonight finishing off the straggling state topics for flashcards (they get tested like 15-20% of the time - think Workers Comp, Agency, etc.). And then I'll try to memorize those cards tomorrow, and do a full-scale review Thurs-Sun. I'm sure I've already forgotten a lot of the law that I "memorized".

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:10 pm

2nd day in a row I've had issues using Kaplan online. Is anyone else having problems? I'm about to lose my shit...Fucking cbx is 1 week from today and I can't do shit online.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:11 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:2nd day in a row I've had issues using Kaplan online. Is anyone else having problems? I'm about to lose my shit...Fucking cbx is 1 week from today and I can't do shit online.

The client is slow for me as well, but I was able to get in.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:13 pm

orangecup wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:2nd day in a row I've had issues using Kaplan online. Is anyone else having problems? I'm about to lose my shit...Fucking cbx is 1 week from today and I can't do shit online.

The client is slow for me as well, but I was able to get in.

I haven't been able to get in at all for 20 minutes...Gonna head to do my MBE's on the books I guess...Just don't want to waste time self-grading. :|

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

I tried reading the outline but I just don't see where they're drawing the distinction on this one:

Larceny: I understand this to mean the trespassory taking of another's property with the intent to permanently deprive.
Embezzlement: I understand this to mean conversion of property by someone entrusted with it.

However, I got both of the following MBE Questions wrong, with more or less the following fact patterns:
1. This is Larceny: A schoolteacher who takes a side job as a bartender, and gives out drinks to his friends for free sometimes.
2. This is Embezzlement A grocery store clerk who takes a $5 from a customer for a gallon of milk, and immediately pockets it for himself.

For the first one, I thought it was embezzlement because the schoolteacher has to have been entrusted with the alcohol because he's serving it, but apparently not. The explanation went something like the schoolteacher only has "custody" of the alcohol, and not possession. Based on the first one, I answered the second one as larceny, which was wrong, according to Chris Fromm, because the grocery store clerk's job is to take cash from customers, and thus while he has the cash he's in lawful possession?

Is this just going to be a very close factual situation each time? The best I could come up with for the difference here was that the bartender/schoolteacher is kind of a conduit for the bar's alcohol and thus never possesses it himself. But I can't really explain the clerk along those lines. Fromm also said that if the clerk were to put $5 into the cash register but then take it back out for himself, that would make the crime larceny instead of embezzlement.

I think I might be splitting hairs. :|

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”