Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

robinhoodOO

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:29 pm

orangecup wrote:Honestly, I've stopped submitting essays. I feel like their grading is a blackbox and not very insightful. I wish Kaplan had a rubric like Barbri, though since the model answers are really hit or miss

Same. I stopped submitting them for the most part. My last as a CP exam where the "grader" said I had good use of the Model Rules and CA rules. It was fucking Community Property...

I recommend comparing answers to the selected answers from the Bar's website :wink:

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:17 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
orangecup wrote:Honestly, I've stopped submitting essays. I feel like their grading is a blackbox and not very insightful. I wish Kaplan had a rubric like Barbri, though since the model answers are really hit or miss

Same. I stopped submitting them for the most part. My last as a CP exam where the "grader" said I had good use of the Model Rules and CA rules. It was fucking Community Property...

I recommend comparing answers to the selected answers from the Bar's website :wink:

I've heard the the selected answers sometimes have incorrect law. Or are you primarily focusing on the analysis with those answers?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:19 pm

orangecup wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

I've heard the the selected answers sometimes have incorrect law. Or are you primarily focusing on the analysis with those answers?

Oh; there by no means perfect. I've spotted some issues with them...But, I think they do give an adequate representation of a 65-70 (or more or less what the Examiners are looking for).

theramblinman

Postby theramblinman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:04 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
orangecup wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Oh; there by no means perfect. I've spotted some issues with them...But, I think they do give an adequate representation of a 65-70 (or more or less what the Examiners are looking for).

I have had some luck with state provided essays. Even though they are not perfect, it helps me to see how other people attack a problem, especially in subjects I am not as comfortable in.

integralx2

Postby integralx2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 pm

How close do we have to be to Kaplan's sample answers for essays? Where they written under timed conditions? Anyone know?

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 am

integralx2 wrote:Where they written under timed conditions?

lmao

kaplan's essays have longer rule paragraphs than actual application

it's bullshit and i feel like i beta tested for them in 2013

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:21 am

Are people following this final study plan as much as the syllabus? I feel like there isn't as much focus on each topic everyday. I may just deviate from this plan to focus on other areas more.

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:45 am

lakerinstl wrote:Are people following this final study plan as much as the syllabus? I feel like there isn't as much focus on each topic everyday. I may just deviate from this plan to focus on other areas more.

Haven't used it at all, doing my own thing. Do what works for you to learn the stuff.

wakeJD15

Postby wakeJD15 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 am

I don't even have my final study plan yet

wakeJD15

Postby wakeJD15 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 am

wakeJD15 wrote:I don't even have my final study plan yet

Nvm, just became available

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 am

Florence Night wrote:
lakerinstl wrote:Are people following this final study plan as much as the syllabus? I feel like there isn't as much focus on each topic everyday. I may just deviate from this plan to focus on other areas more.

Haven't used it at all, doing my own thing. Do what works for you to learn the stuff.

Yep. I haven't even checked to see if I have one. Their syllabus is pretty shit anyway.

I made my own syllabus in early July.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:17 am

The more I think about liquidated damages, the more confused I get.

To be enforceable, liquidated damages have to be difficult to predict or prove, AND they have to be a reasonable estimate of losses to be expected.

...how can a party evaluate whether something is a reasonable estimate, when she also can't predict or prove it?

I tend to be getting the MBE questions right by intuition, but I can't figure out how to apply it on an essay besides just saying "this seems reasonable" or "this seems like a penalty."

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am

I'm becoming substantially convinced I'm going to fail. Got exactly the same score on the midterm as the final. Some essays are in the 70s but some essays are 50. What is life? Do I just not get the bar?

LAW813FL

Postby LAW813FL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:08 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:I'm becoming substantially convinced I'm going to fail. Got exactly the same score on the midterm as the final. Some essays are in the 70s but some essays are 50. What is life? Do I just not get the bar?

I think everyones feeling this way. FWIW, the final was harder than the midterm, and it will drive you to learn all you'll need in the stretch run. Keep it up, and you'll be fine.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:19 pm

despina wrote:The more I think about liquidated damages, the more confused I get.

To be enforceable, liquidated damages have to be difficult to predict or prove, AND they have to be a reasonable estimate of losses to be expected.

...how can a party evaluate whether something is a reasonable estimate, when she also can't predict or prove it?

I tend to be getting the MBE questions right by intuition, but I can't figure out how to apply it on an essay besides just saying "this seems reasonable" or "this seems like a penalty."

MBE's tend to focus more on the penalty and reasonableness aspect. For example, the LDC Q from Kaplan's Final was a $50 penalty for being tardy to work, where the guy made $300/week. That's 1/6 of his pay for a few minutes. Clearly not reasonable and clearly a penalty. Don't overthink it. You may see one LDC question on the MBE, so I wouldn't lose sight of the forest.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
despina wrote:The more I think about liquidated damages, the more confused I get.

MBE's tend to focus more on the penalty and reasonableness aspect. For example, the LDC Q from Kaplan's Final was a $50 penalty for being tardy to work, where the guy made $300/week. That's 1/6 of his pay for a few minutes. Clearly not reasonable and clearly a penalty. Don't overthink it. You may see one LDC question on the MBE, so I wouldn't lose sight of the forest.

Yeah, that's why I'm tending to get the MBE questions right -- the question you mention seemed like an obvious penalty to me.

I'm just having trouble figuring out how I would apply the rule in an essay where it wouldn't be so clear-cut.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:59 pm

despina wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Yeah, that's why I'm tending to get the MBE questions right -- the question you mention seemed like an obvious penalty to me.

I'm just having trouble figuring out how I would apply the rule in an essay where it wouldn't be so clear-cut.

I think in that case, just play with the facts. If it's not clear-cut, then it probably doesn't matter how you conclude. I haven't seen an essay Q for something like this yet, so I can't really comment with more insight unfortunately.

integralx2

Postby integralx2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 pm

a male human wrote:

lmao

Yeah, it makes you feel bad when your not on par, hahaha.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:34 pm

integralx2 wrote:
a male human wrote:

lmao

Yeah, it makes you feel bad when your not on par, hahaha.

Everybody else I've spoken with (including other Prep course people, tutors, etc.) say not to overdo it with the rule statements. There is simply no point. Simple and sweet, but enough to adequately apply the law. It's about issue spotting and analysis. Don't throw in the kitchen sink.

That, and I've also seen some of Kap's answers be straight up wrong. There was a res judicata and collateral estoppel question where there were two CoA's in the subsequent action by a separate Plaintiff (tort and contract). The prior action involved only a dispute on the K. Which meant, collateral estoppel could be used as to the K issue, but not tort. Kap, however, joined the two CoA's and didn't separate them out--which was blatantly incorrect.

So, I don't think it has anything necessarily to do with not being/feeling "on par." It's definitely a valid criticism, but thanks for being facetious.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:40 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:I'm becoming substantially convinced I'm going to fail. Got exactly the same score on the midterm as the final. Some essays are in the 70s but some essays are 50. What is life? Do I just not get the bar?

I think everyones feeling this way. FWIW, the final was harder than the midterm, and it will drive you to learn all you'll need in the stretch run. Keep it up, and you'll be fine.

It depends what the scores were. Did you get two 90s? Two 125s? If you're at or near the Kaplan average, and study your mistakes, you'll probably be fine. AFter all, most Kaplan people pass (I think? Not sure what the overall percentage is), and average is passing for a minimum competency test. Also, as said above, the final was harder (heck, my score went down). So that means that you learned stuff. Keep on truckin'.

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:55 pm

FWIW, 1 x 116 and 1x 117. I wouldn't moan about it if it were 125+, hell I'd be overjoyed.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Anyone having problems with Kap crashing? Crashed twice in the last hour and I'm fucking suicidal if it happens again...

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Florence Night wrote:

Nah that stuff is not helpful at all. I'm just focusing on whatever works for me - trying to memorize areas of law I don't know, keep up practicing rule statements and MBE every day. Just focus now on stuff you don't know

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:02 pm

freestallion wrote:
Florence Night wrote:

Nah that stuff is not helpful at all. I'm just focusing on whatever works for me - trying to memorize areas of law I don't know, keep up practicing rule statements and MBE every day. Just focus now on stuff you don't know

I read your name as Free Stalin...Time to stop studying and reading for the day :/

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 am

The final study plan is definitely not practical..it would have about 4 or 5 subjects in a day then tell you to spend an hour doing one thing..one doesn't just spend an hour reviewing property lol

My daily goal until Sunday is doing 50 mbe a day, outlining 6 essays, 3 on one area I'm doing in the morning and 3 on another then reviewing the big outline book after for those two subjects

I'm also printing the sample outlines for the essays..I'm taking a greyhound to my test state and it's about a 5 hour ride on sunday so I'll be reviewing those sample outlines.

Looking at the full sample answers makes me frustrated because I know someone can't write that much..my bestfriend is taking barbri and he said they provided them with student answers that have passed the bar and those rule statements are short.

So it's less stressful knowing that someone who wrote an essay like that still passed.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”