Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

despina

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:27 pm

For my state they're self-graded only.

cmartin5970

Postby cmartin5970 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Are our essays/MPTs from the final going to be graded? Or just self-grading?

NC is self grade and only one model answer

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Chris Fromm claims in the final review videos that, with a combination of a purposeful final review + the conversion to a scaled score, you can expect a 30 point jump from your raw score to your scaled score on exam day. Woah.

Guess that factors in both the effectiveness of the final review as well as the difficulty of that exam.

So, if you got anywhere near 130 or up on the final, you can expect a 160 scaled on game day. Which is AUTOPASS in almost all states, meaning you could just submit text art on the essays and still probably pass. Nice.
Last edited by odoylerulez on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 pm

despina wrote:...I just did worse on the final than on the midterm. Ugh. Still a relatively solid score overall but not where I wanted to be right now.

Feel slightly better now. At the beginning of day 2 of MBE review Fromm says that the final is "at least 10% harder" than the midterm so would have a more generous scale. "So even if you fell a little bit [compared to your midterm score] you really didn't fall." He says they deliberately put a higher percentage of tough questions on the final than usually appear on the bar. The tough questions aren't tougher, but there are more of them.

Woo.

Extra congrats to those of you who substantially improved your scores from the midterm!

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:12 pm

odoylerulez wrote:So, if you got anywhere near 130 or up on the final, you can expect a 160 scaled on game day. Which is AUTOPASS in almost all states, meaning you could just submit text art on the essays and still probably pass. Nice.

God I hope so, because at this point my essays might as well be text art.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Also, I like Chris Fromm a lot.

But damn, if I hear him say "premise" instead of premises, or "forum nonconvenes" instead of nonconveniens again I swear I'll scream.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm skeptical about a 30 point jump, especially if you already did solidly.

But maybe it's a testament to how the final review is more difficult than the actual MBE. Otherwise, I feel like it's not possible to improve THAT much in 1 week. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about this whole process lol

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm

despina wrote:Also, I like Chris Fromm a lot.

But damn, if I hear him say "premise" instead of premises, or "forum nonconvenes" instead of nonconveniens again I swear I'll scream.

Also "preemptory" instead of peremptory. It's even spelled "preemptory" on the slide. So distracting.

theramblinman

Postby theramblinman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:37 pm

despina wrote:

Also "preemptory" instead of peremptory. It's even spelled "preemptory" on the slide. So distracting.

I am more distracted by his gigantic tie knot than anything else.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 pm

theramblinman wrote:
despina wrote:

I am more distracted by his gigantic tie knot than anything else.

The guy is fucking swimming in his suits...

CurryWithTheShot

Postby CurryWithTheShot » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:38 pm

I only got 2% better on the final MBE than I did on the mid-term, but I still need a major improvement in order to get in a comfortable MBE range. HELPPPPP MEEEE. IM SCREWED :( :( :( :(

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:33 pm

CurryWithTheShot wrote:I only got 2% better on the final MBE than I did on the mid-term, but I still need a major improvement in order to get in a comfortable MBE range. HELPPPPP MEEEE. IM SCREWED :( :( :( :(

Your first problem is being a Warriors fan. Passing the bar is secondary...

coffeeandcream

Postby coffeeandcream » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Hey, I've got a question about wills - was just reviewing and kind of bummed out - and I'm too anal to wait til the ask and expert people get back to me

On the lecture video for Estates and Wills 2 (@2:10 approximatly), in the answer for Exam application question 4, the lecturer says that the destruction of a copy of a will is not sufficient to revoke the will.

The question says:
Testator’s will left $100,000 to Cousin. After having an argument with Cousin, Testator validly executed a new will that disinherited Cousin, and left two copies of the new will in his safe deposit box, along with the earlier will. Cousin and Testator later reconciled, and Testator went to the safe deposit box, removed a copy of the later will, and tore it up, saying to his neighbor who was present “I feel better now. Cousin is taken care of.”
What, if anything, is Cousin entitled to receive from Testator’s estate?

Then in the check point quiz QID14170, the answer to the MC question where "a pharmacist executed a valid will, and several years later, wile attending a reunion with her college sorority, she realized how little her family appreciated her. When she returned home from the reunion she took an executed copy of her will out and set it on fire. The correct answer says that the destruction of an executed copy of the will made in duplicate is sufficient to revoke the will - what's the right rule here?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:09 pm

coffeeandcream wrote:Hey, I've got a question about wills - was just reviewing and kind of bummed out - and I'm too anal to wait til the ask and expert people get back to me

On the lecture video for Estates and Wills 2 (@2:10 approximatly), in the answer for Exam application question 4, the lecturer says that the destruction of a copy of a will is not sufficient to revoke the will.

The question says:
Testator’s will left $100,000 to Cousin. After having an argument with Cousin, Testator validly executed a new will that disinherited Cousin, and left two copies of the new will in his safe deposit box, along with the earlier will. Cousin and Testator later reconciled, and Testator went to the safe deposit box, removed a copy of the later will, and tore it up, saying to his neighbor who was present “I feel better now. Cousin is taken care of.”
What, if anything, is Cousin entitled to receive from Testator’s estate?

Then in the check point quiz QID14170, the answer to the MC question where "a pharmacist executed a valid will, and several years later, wile attending a reunion with her college sorority, she realized how little her family appreciated her. When she returned home from the reunion she took an executed copy of her will out and set it on fire. The correct answer says that the destruction of an executed copy of the will made in duplicate is sufficient to revoke the will - what's the right rule here?

There is a difference between a copy and an executed copy.

coffeeandcream

Postby coffeeandcream » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
coffeeandcream wrote:There is a difference between a copy and an executed copy.

So.. assume its not executed until says otherwise? Never took wills in law school, overwhelming amount of MEE information is overwhelming :shock: :shock: :shock:

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:21 pm

coffeeandcream wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
coffeeandcream wrote:There is a difference between a copy and an executed copy.

So.. assume its not executed until says otherwise? Never took wills in law school, overwhelming amount of MEE information is overwhelming :shock: :shock: :shock:

If it comes up on an essay and you see someone destroying a will (or trying to revoke): Check if the will is an executed copy. It should be obvious.

Start with formation and then discuss revocation: Testator may revoke a will by (1) Express revocation, (2) Implied revocation, or (3) physical act. For a testator to validly revoke a will via physical act, the will must be the original or an executed copy. Revocation via physical act is ineffective if the destroyed will is merely a copy.

I've also seen them test a lost will, where it is presumed destroyed if testator had it in his sole possession prior to death and then it can't be located.

coffeeandcream

Postby coffeeandcream » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 pm

robinhoodOO wrote: For a testator to validly revoke a will via physical act, the will must be the original or an executed copy. Revocation via physical act is ineffective if the destroyed will is merely a copy.

That is a beautiful rule statement, thank you <3

wakeJD15

Postby wakeJD15 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Anybody having a hard time getting essays graded?

I have one outstanding that I submitted 9 days ago

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:34 pm

coffeeandcream wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote: For a testator to validly revoke a will via physical act, the will must be the original or an executed copy. Revocation via physical act is ineffective if the destroyed will is merely a copy.

That is a beautiful rule statement, thank you <3

NP

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:38 pm

wakeJD15 wrote:Anybody having a hard time getting essays graded?

I would email them about that. That's way too long. I have one outstanding now from Tuesday and it's definitely the longest I've ever waited.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Oh my god Chris Fromm talking about how his 2L girlfriend dumped him a couple days before the bar. :shock: :(

That's adequate provocation for heat of passion manslaughter, right?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:12 pm

despina wrote:Oh my god Chris Fromm talking about how his 2L girlfriend dumped him a couple days before the bar. :shock: :(

Not as bad as my wife threatening to divorce me if I don't pass :cry:

despina

Postby despina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
despina wrote:Oh my god Chris Fromm talking about how his 2L girlfriend dumped him a couple days before the bar. :shock: :(

Not as bad as my wife threatening to divorce me if I don't pass :cry:

At least in my state, that's not grounds for divorce. :wink:

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:52 pm

wakeJD15 wrote:Anybody having a hard time getting essays graded?

Not that long, but yes. I have 3 outstanding from this week from Wednesday or earlier. So dumb.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:30 am

Honestly, I've stopped submitting essays. I feel like their grading is a blackbox and not very insightful. I wish Kaplan had a rubric like Barbri, though since the model answers are really hit or miss

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”