Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Geaux12

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Geaux12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:Got 114 on the midterm. Not time to throw myself onto the fire horrible but not fond of being below the average they said in the email :( Time to pray to the critical pass flashcards that they will really make stuff clear to me in the last 20 some days...

Target was between 100-120! If you buy what Kaplan says - and please tell me, people, if I shouldn't - you're "on target."

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:30 pm

What was the average? Never got that email... :?:

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:20 pm

theramblinman wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
anjmissy wrote:So how's everyone using the days with no video watching ..my schedule is free of videos until the 8th..I'm definitely behind with state specific one sheets..I'll find myself starting them but not enough time to finish them because the next subject is starting so quickly..but I'm promising myself no work on Saturday..let's hope I stick to it

Yesterday was an "open" day. I did 4 essays and 100 MBE's. Surprised myself on the MBE's...Getting ready for the CA Mid-Term, so let's see if my luck carries over.

Anyway, not going to do their one-sheets/notes. Gonna find someone else's. I want to make absolute sure I have the most concise and easy to remember rule statements/key words. I haven't been fond of some of the 'rules' from Kaplan. A potential defense to a CoA isn't necessarily a fucking element you morons...I'll remember defenses as defenses.

Have you had any luck finding good one sheets? I was spending time working on them, but I realized they are time consuming to make and did not increase my understanding at all. That being said I still think they would be helpful to have for quick review. I was thinking about buying lean sheets but I do not know how good they are.

Lean Sheets are pretty decent. $40 for CA Lean Sheets, covering MBE and CA subjects. Each subject is between 2-3 pages. You get to download them immediately too....

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
fadedsunrise wrote:Got 114 on the midterm. Not time to throw myself onto the fire horrible but not fond of being below the average they said in the email :( Time to pray to the critical pass flashcards that they will really make stuff clear to me in the last 20 some days...

Target was between 100-120! If you buy what Kaplan says - and please tell me, people, if I shouldn't - you're "on target."

PM me if you want me to forward the email to you. They claim the National Average was 117.

Not sure how this is calculated, though (i.e. what scores are or are not included). Particularly for people doing it on demand. For example, I hadn't submitted my stuff until 5 PST, but got the email at 2 PST.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Florence Night wrote:What was the average? Never got that email... :?:

Oops, mean to quote you. They said it was 117. PM me if you want me to forward the email

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 pm

For the scores being mentioned, are you referring to how many questions you got right out of the 200?

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
theramblinman wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
anjmissy wrote:So how's everyone using the days with no video watching ..my schedule is free of videos until the 8th..I'm definitely behind with state specific one sheets..I'll find myself starting them but not enough time to finish them because the next subject is starting so quickly..but I'm promising myself no work on Saturday..let's hope I stick to it

Yesterday was an "open" day. I did 4 essays and 100 MBE's. Surprised myself on the MBE's...Getting ready for the CA Mid-Term, so let's see if my luck carries over.

Anyway, not going to do their one-sheets/notes. Gonna find someone else's. I want to make absolute sure I have the most concise and easy to remember rule statements/key words. I haven't been fond of some of the 'rules' from Kaplan. A potential defense to a CoA isn't necessarily a fucking element you morons...I'll remember defenses as defenses.

Have you had any luck finding good one sheets? I was spending time working on them, but I realized they are time consuming to make and did not increase my understanding at all. That being said I still think they would be helpful to have for quick review. I was thinking about buying lean sheets but I do not know how good they are.

Lean Sheets are pretty decent. $40 for CA Lean Sheets, covering MBE and CA subjects. Each subject is between 2-3 pages. You get to download them immediately too....

Goddammit, they don't have any Florida distinction materials. Fuck everything.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:08 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:For the scores being mentioned, are you referring to how many questions you got right out of the 200?

Yeah, that's probably what it is. I wish we had more statistics on this other than just the average score.

Disappointing 124 here, which is below what I've been getting on the CPQs/QBank questions. I need to work harder in July to be safe because I've been neglecting the essays. 50% MBE state here though.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:40 am

So if we are supposed to be between 100-120 and the average was 117, does that mean most everyone above that score would have passed if this was a real exam?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:So if we are supposed to be between 100-120 and the average was 117, does that mean most everyone above that score would have passed if this was a real exam?

They said not to speculate or guess and that they couldn't predict, blah, blah, blah. Again, I suspect that 117 average isn't very inclusive because they sent the email at 2 PM PST, which is before west coast folks would have submitted their stuff.

That said, if you're above 120, you're probably doing something right. I thought the Q's felt slightly harder than QBanks. I did 3% worse than my last 100 set on QBanks, so I'll take it. Probably going to shift to Adaptibar now

breeze3213

Postby breeze3213 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks for the tip about Lean Sheets. Has anyone used them for NY? I'm thinking about purchasing it today. I am so frustrated with these lengthy bar notes. I have been making my own outlines, but now I am truly panicking bc I have not been doing nearly enough true practice! I scored in the national average for the mid-term, (whatever that means) but my essays are not so good. I really need to start memorizing this stuff! Like now!

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

breeze3213 wrote:Thanks for the tip about Lean Sheets. Has anyone used them for NY? I'm thinking about purchasing it today. I am so frustrated with these lengthy bar notes. I have been making my own outlines, but now I am truly panicking bc I have not been doing nearly enough true practice! I scored in the national average for the mid-term, (whatever that means) but my essays are not so good. I really need to start memorizing this stuff! Like now!

There's a 20% discount if you want it: LEANFB20 (from the FB page). I have them for CA and for $32, they're well worth it.

I recall reading in another forum that some NY people like them, but I can't speak personally as to the NY stuff they have...

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:52 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:So if we are supposed to be between 100-120 and the average was 117, does that mean most everyone above that score would have passed if this was a real exam?

They said not to speculate or guess and that they couldn't predict, blah, blah, blah. Again, I suspect that 117 average isn't very inclusive because they sent the email at 2 PM PST, which is before west coast folks would have submitted their stuff.

That said, if you're above 120, you're probably doing something right. I thought the Q's felt slightly harder than QBanks. I did 3% worse than my last 100 set on QBanks, so I'll take it. Probably going to shift to Adaptibar now

Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Thank goodness for this thread. My score was 120 exactly and I about freaked the fuck out when I read that. Missing 80 fucking questions isn't generally something that keeps me calm and confident. Glad to know I'm not completely off course.

And I agree--these questions felt harder than the regular QBank. This was the first time since the diagnostic where I looked at a few questions and legitimately had no idea what something was. I generally at least have an idea when doing practice problems.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm

breeze3213 wrote:Thanks for the tip about Lean Sheets. Has anyone used them for NY? I'm thinking about purchasing it today. I am so frustrated with these lengthy bar notes. I have been making my own outlines, but now I am truly panicking bc I have not been doing nearly enough true practice! I scored in the national average for the mid-term, (whatever that means) but my essays are not so good. I really need to start memorizing this stuff! Like now!

I feel like this is the same feeling me and my friends are having. We all are spending so much time composing outlines and listening to the lectures that we're lucky to even get through the assigned practice questions each day. I nearly had a panic attack the day before the midterm when I sat down with my 200-something pages of printed outlines and realized I had hardly spent any time whatsoever actually, ya know, studying them! I've learned it all so far, but I remember very little of it!

So just know you're not alone! I think most of us are feeling the same thing as you.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:01 pm

The first one sheet I did I knew the way they wanted us to do them was not going to work for me..it ended up being a sheet with 8 point font with no spaces..not practical at all..So for the rest of mine I did little boxes ..about 3 by 6 boxes per page..each box contains a rule or something huge..way more practical to review

And at the end of lunch when it said to review bar notes for an hour..I was just open up the whole outline book and start making my little boxes for an hour and find 2 hours somewhere else to finish it up.

But it seriously takes a lot of time..I'm working on one for wills as I type.

breeze3213

Postby breeze3213 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:

There's a 20% discount if you want it: LEANFB20 (from the FB page). I have them for CA and for $32, they're well worth it.

I recall reading in another forum that some NY people like them, but I can't speak personally as to the NY stuff they have...

Thank you for the discount code! I just purchased them. They look pretty good. I'm going to use these for the NY subjects along with the bar points book. At this point making another detailed outline is not possible--I completed Family Law and Wills today after 4.5 hours. I just need to rethink my study strategy now and focus on retention. So nice to hear I'm not alone in this struggle. Praying for a good curve at the end of the month!

despina

Postby despina » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Ok, nobody is allowed to complain about any of the MBE lecturers anymore.

I am currently slogging through two days of a state distinctions prof who speaks too fast / doesn't repeat enough for 2x speed (and I have to pause a lot to catch up with 1.5x but can't stand to go at 1.0), has a bizarre speech patterns and mannerisms that are SUPER irritating, regularly does not match up with the outline (gives a list of 8 separate things where outline only has 5 spaces or gives only 5 things where the outline has 8 ), and sometimes is randomly dubbed over by Rentmeister for a few words and sometimes even a few minutes at a time (maybe because the law is outdated? Or he said the wrong thing? Or was incomprehensible?). Only occasionally gives examples and doesn't really explain / paraphrase anything. May be a perfectly great prof when he's actually teaching in person, but this video is making me want to rip my hair out.

Woo, end rant.

Also did anybody just get an email from their rep that said "take July 4 off! Have fun! Oh but also it's the last day you should ever take off, and don't party so hard that you can't study on July 5 morning. No really, don't be hungover."

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:23 pm

despina wrote:Ok, nobody is allowed to complain about any of the MBE lecturers anymore.

I am currently slogging through two days of a state distinctions prof who speaks too fast / doesn't repeat enough for 2x speed (and I have to pause a lot to catch up with 1.5x but can't stand to go at 1.0), has a bizarre speech patterns and mannerisms that are SUPER irritating, regularly does not match up with the outline (gives a list of 8 separate things where outline only has 5 spaces or gives only 5 things where the outline has 8 ), and sometimes is randomly dubbed over by Rentmeister for a few words and sometimes even a few minutes at a time (maybe because the law is outdated? Or he said the wrong thing? Or was incomprehensible?). Only occasionally gives examples and doesn't really explain / paraphrase anything. May be a perfectly great prof when he's actually teaching in person, but this video is making me want to rip my hair out.

Woo, end rant.

Also did anybody just get an email from their rep that said "take July 4 off! Have fun! Oh but also it's the last day you should ever take off, and don't party so hard that you can't study on July 5 morning. No really, don't be hungover."

Yup my PA guy said that

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 pm

They actually used the word "bender."

I'm still going to black out, but I'll preemptively place a pedialyte by my bed.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Is there anywhere else we're supposed to be getting our information from other than the lectures (and accompanying outlines)? That's the only thing I've been using as the basis for my knowledge (since I can't recall shit from 1L year) and I am constantly coming across questions covering things Kaplan never discussed. For instance, in the midterm, there was a question that included the term "upset price" in the context of a foreclosure sale that was critical in understanding how to answer the question correctly. While context allowed me to guess the right answer, I had never heard the term in my life. Reviewing my outline, I don't have the term referenced anywhere. This is not a limited experience--I have noticed the same thing in a dozen or so of the midterm questions alone (and I'm only halfway through grading it!).

Am I missing some source of information from Kaplan? Or are these uncovered aspects just an unavoidable downside of trying to (re)learn an entire subject in a lecture or two?

SiRR

Postby SiRR » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Is there anywhere else we're supposed to be getting our information from other than the lectures (and accompanying outlines)? That's the only thing I've been using as the basis for my knowledge (since I can't recall shit from 1L year) and I am constantly coming across questions covering things Kaplan never discussed. For instance, in the midterm, there was a question that included the term "upset price" in the context of a foreclosure sale that was critical in understanding how to answer the question correctly. While context allowed me to guess the right answer, I had never heard the term in my life. Reviewing my outline, I don't have the term referenced anywhere. This is not a limited experience--I have noticed the same thing in a dozen or so of the midterm questions alone (and I'm only halfway through grading it!).

Am I missing some source of information from Kaplan? Or are these uncovered aspects just an unavoidable downside of trying to (re)learn an entire subject in a lecture or two?

Maybe from the full outlines in the accompanying book? (Can't really say, haven't cracked a single one open).

Either way, I can relate to this 100%. I almost went Hulkamania on my MBE book after I had the joy of learning - apparently - about half of criminal procedure by doing the questions. While in other subjects there have only been a couple deep nuances or rules that weren't covered, I feel like half of the CrimPro questions I did (both Qbank and in the book) were entire points of law that were unequivocally not covered during the lecture.

despina

Postby despina » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 pm

Yeah, "upset price" was news to me to (along with several other concepts on the midterm).

I'm assuming some of these things must be covered in the outlines, not the lecture... grrr...

Also it's funny that in the review, From keeps telling us, "if an answer choice has some term you've never heard of, it's probably a trap." Um... not yet it's not!

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Is there anywhere else we're supposed to be getting our information from other than the lectures (and accompanying outlines)? That's the only thing I've been using as the basis for my knowledge (since I can't recall shit from 1L year) and I am constantly coming across questions covering things Kaplan never discussed. For instance, in the midterm, there was a question that included the term "upset price" in the context of a foreclosure sale that was critical in understanding how to answer the question correctly. While context allowed me to guess the right answer, I had never heard the term in my life. Reviewing my outline, I don't have the term referenced anywhere. This is not a limited experience--I have noticed the same thing in a dozen or so of the midterm questions alone (and I'm only halfway through grading it!).

Yep, I think just about all of us missed that one. 21% got the right answer. 73% picked a different, wrong answer (myself included). That's pretty telling that there was something fundamentally flawed with how that material was taught.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 pm

despina wrote:Yeah, "upset price" was news to me to (along with several other concepts on the midterm).

I'm assuming some of these things must be covered in the outlines, not the lecture... grrr...

Also it's funny that in the review, From keeps telling us, "if an answer choice has some term you've never heard of, it's probably a trap." Um... not yet it's not!

Haha I know! I typically just ignore the answers that have something I haven't heard of for that very reason! I was suspicious for that question though because the foreign concept was in the question and not the possible answer choices.

I also hate how I feel like they say in the lectures, "oh this isn't tested very often" and then I feel like half of my questions for that area are on that very topic. It makes me wonder how much focus I should bet putting on that topic!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:23 pm

odoylerulez wrote:

Yep, I think just about all of us missed that one. 21% got the right answer. 73% picked a different, wrong answer (myself included). That's pretty telling that there was something fundamentally flawed with how that material was taught.

It's worrisome because if there are this many questions from Kaplan that include things Kaplan themselves didn't teach, what are non-Kaplan questions (ya know, the exam itself) going to include?! I'm petrified of getting an essay question and having it be something Kaplan didn't even discuss (though I realize that is highly unlikely).

I've just come to terms with treating Kaplan's questions as another form of teaching where I need to take notes from the answers. Annoying, but oh well.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”