Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

despina

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby despina » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:45 pm

SiRR wrote:Hey, all. Need your thoughts/advice. How necessary/urgent are the hardcopy books? I'm moving across country tomorrow and would rather not bring an extra bag just for all the Kaplan books. Do you think they are critical, or can I easily get away without them at all? Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

I've barely touched them... :oops:

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:29 pm

despina wrote:
SiRR wrote:Hey, all. Need your thoughts/advice. How necessary/urgent are the hardcopy books? I'm moving across country tomorrow and would rather not bring an extra bag just for all the Kaplan books. Do you think they are critical, or can I easily get away without them at all? Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

At the absolute minimum, I think you'll need whatever books are necessary for the "Midterm" if you haven't done yours yet.

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:42 pm

despina wrote:

I haven't found the books essential by any means. I use the bar points book every now and then, but I mainly use the lecture notes and my Critical Pass cards for studying. The outline materials book isn't particularly helpful, I don't think, because there's simply too much detaI.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:07 am

Florence Night wrote: I mainly use the lecture notes and my Critical Pass cards for studying.

How are you using them? I've marked them up pretty thoroughly with notes/state distinctions, but I'm not at the point where I'm going through and using them like actual flashcards (i.e., read the front, try to recite the back).

Florence Night

Postby Florence Night » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
Florence Night wrote: I mainly use the lecture notes and my Critical Pass cards for studying.

How are you using them? I've marked them up pretty thoroughly with notes/state distinctions, but I'm not at the point where I'm going through and using them like actual flashcards (i.e., read the front, try to recite the back).

I definitely don't have them memorized. I'm just reading through them.

despina

Postby despina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Ok, I finally took the midterm and am totally perplexed by the lack of information about what the score actually means.

I understand the midterm is primarily a tool to diagnose what I need to work on, but I also really want to know, if I were to take the MBE today, where would I stand? I'm in a jurisdiction where the MBE is 50%, so would today's score put me in the "you'll probably pass if you don't mess up the essays too badly" category, or in the "you still need to kill the essays" category, or what?

How do people figure this out? I'm having trouble figuring out how to estimate how the raw score would translate into scaled score or percentile or anything useful at all.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:30 pm

despina wrote:Ok, I finally took the midterm and am totally perplexed by the lack of information about what the score actually means.

I understand the midterm is primarily a tool to diagnose what I need to work on, but I also really want to know, if I were to take the MBE today, where would I stand? I'm in a jurisdiction where the MBE is 50%, so would today's score put me in the "you'll probably pass if you don't mess up the essays too badly" category, or in the "you still need to kill the essays" category, or what?

How do people figure this out? I'm having trouble figuring out how to estimate how the raw score would translate into scaled score or percentile or anything useful at all.

We were told <100 you have a lot of work to do, 100-120 you're on target, >120 you're doing great but don't stop now. We were also told the average was 117.

I got a 112, but still haven't done anything for Civ Pro or Con Law, and those are the subjects I scored lowest in...so I feel OK about my performance. God help me for state shit, I haven't done a goddamn thing yet.

despina

Postby despina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Geaux12 wrote:We were told <100 you have a lot of work to do, 100-120 you're on target, >120 you're doing great but don't stop now. We were also told the average was 117.

I got a 112, but still haven't done anything for Civ Pro or Con Law, and those are the subjects I scored lowest in...so I feel OK about my performance. God help me for state shit, I haven't done a goddamn thing yet.

Yup, that's basically the same info in the brief "evaluating your performance" video. My raw score was well above 120. What I want is something more specific than "you're doing great but don't stop now." Obviously I'm not about to "stop now"... but compared to the MBE subjects, my state subjects contain a LOT more info that is totally new to me, and I struggle more with essay writing than multiple choice. So "don't stop now" isn't really helpful with respect to how to apportion time between shoring up my MBE score, and diving into the state essay subjects.

despina

Postby despina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Also, while I'm in whine mode...

Would it be that hard to combine the Qbank data with the diagnostic and practice test data, so I could see my progress across subjects on MBE questions all in one damn place?

And I swear to God instead of extraneous commas and verb disagreements, the practice MBE was full of missing words and extra periods. Does not inspire confidence.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 pm

despina wrote:Also, while I'm in whine mode...

Would it be that hard to combine the Qbank data with the diagnostic and practice test data, so I could see my progress across subjects on MBE questions all in one damn place?

And I swear to God instead of extraneous commas and verb disagreements, the practice MBE was full of missing words and extra periods. Does not inspire confidence.

I'm struggling to commiserate with you and your "well above 120" :lol:

Did you notice he said to look for endurance issues, but didn't tell us how to address endurance issues? I attribute a lot of my shit score to not having done two enormous topics, but I'd still like to know how we're supposed to improve "endurance."

ETA: I'd much rather listen to the stream of the Dead show in Santa Clara than Chris Fromm going through 200 MBE questions...

despina

Postby despina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:19 pm

In the "assessing your performance" video, RR suggests if you missed a disproportionate number of the last 25 questions in each section, to be doing longer stretches of practice questions (33 to 50 at a time) from here on out. But yeah... he doesn't say anything more specific than that.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:30 pm

despina wrote:Also, while I'm in whine mode...

It's to the point that I've started copying the really egregious ones to compile a list of their shitty MBE's in QBanks. Quite frankly, it's unacceptable some of the errors. I think I posted one in this section awhile back that was particularly bad...WTF

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:32 pm

doing on demand for Penn..they just emailed us saying that for Monday-Wednesday our video won't be up and that it'll be uploaded 6pm at the latest for the respective days ...pissed..not that i have to change my schedule, but that they email this at 11pm the night before our morning session, which, won't be there

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:54 pm

anjmissy wrote:doing on demand for Penn..they just emailed us saying that for Monday-Wednesday our video won't be up and that it'll be uploaded 6pm at the latest for the respective days ...pissed..not that i have to change my schedule, but that they email this at 11pm the night before our morning session, which, won't be there

That's balls...Did they at least offer to let you guys, maybe, attend the live sessions with some sort of RSVP? Or, basically any kind of extra for getting bummed short notice?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:39 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
anjmissy wrote:doing on demand for Penn..they just emailed us saying that for Monday-Wednesday our video won't be up and that it'll be uploaded 6pm at the latest for the respective days ...pissed..not that i have to change my schedule, but that they email this at 11pm the night before our morning session, which, won't be there

That's balls...Did they at least offer to let you guys, maybe, attend the live sessions with some sort of RSVP? Or, basically any kind of extra for getting bummed short notice?

Nope, I'm in Virginia studying..I emailed right after and asked if I could watch the live stream as it is going or at least listen to the audio..the reply was pretty much nope, waiting until the afternoon to get the video formatted is the only option

So my plan is from 9-1 to do the mixed mbe that's scheduled for the evening, a few essays and maybe catch up on a one sheet and I'm hoping that after lunch the video will be up

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Fuck, the person teaching the Criminal Law lecture is absolutely horrible.

theramblinman

Postby theramblinman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 pm

So I somehow managed to do worse on the midterm than I did on the introductory diagnostic exam. Does not make me overly confident about the effectiveness of the course. I did not do poorly, but I would have liked to see some improvement.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:29 pm

theramblinman wrote:So I somehow managed to do worse on the midterm than I did on the introductory diagnostic exam. Does not make me overly confident about the effectiveness of the course. I did not do poorly, but I would have liked to see some improvement.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. If your schedule has been anything like mine, you haven't had the opportunity to really work on memorizing and retaining all the information you have been going over as much as you have been just trying to process it all and get a base understanding.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
theramblinman wrote:So I somehow managed to do worse on the midterm than I did on the introductory diagnostic exam. Does not make me overly confident about the effectiveness of the course. I did not do poorly, but I would have liked to see some improvement.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. If your schedule has been anything like mine, you haven't had the opportunity to really work on memorizing and retaining all the information you have been going over as much as you have been just trying to process it all and get a base understanding.

That's scary, but I agree with shredderrrr.

Also, I'm definitely finding myself in a lot of "I know just enough law to get this one wrong" traps. Whereas when I took the diagnostic I would have taken a wild guess and had a 25% shot because I had no idea, I now understand the basic rule but not the exception, or I recognized one issue but not another, and thus fell for a trap answer. I wonder if your score decline might be evidence of some of that going on.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:48 pm

despina wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Also, I'm definitely finding myself in a lot of "I know just enough law to get this one wrong" traps. Whereas when I took the diagnostic I would have taken a wild guess and had a 25% shot because I had no idea, I now understand the basic rule but not the exception, or I recognized one issue but not another, and thus fell for a trap answer. I wonder if your score decline might be evidence of some of that going on.

That's a very good point! I find it takes me three passes of a topic to really start knowing the answers with any certainty. The first time I think, "fuck, I remember learning about this topic, but I don't recall the information at all" and I then have to look to my outline (or just take a guess). The second time I'll be closer to what you described--I'll generally know the content but won't have it down completely, so I inevitably forget an exception or something. The third time through I find myself finally really knowing my shit.

For the few specific topics I've been able to take 3+ practice tests for, my scores will always be similar the first two times and then significantly higher the third time. Theramblinman is likely experiencing the second stage.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:19 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Fuck, the person teaching the Criminal Law lecture is absolutely horrible.

haha; I got on this evening to post this same exact thing...Guys is terrible. I was hoping it'd be Chris since he was a prosecutor...We get the same guy for CrimPro tomorrow. Yip-fucking-ee

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:52 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Fuck, the person teaching the Criminal Law lecture is absolutely horrible.

haha; I got on this evening to post this same exact thing...Guys is terrible. I was hoping it'd be Chris since he was a prosecutor...We get the same guy for CrimPro tomorrow. Yip-fucking-ee

I was hoping so too! I hate this guy. He's the only one I have disliked so far.

The lecture took me all fucking day to do. Not only was his outline complete shit (it was organized terribly, redundant, and had entire paragraphs every other bullet), he didn't teach anything. He just read through the outline without actually explaining or helping us understand anything. Before even giving you a second to digest everything he just threw at you, he was already halfway into the next topic. And not repeating any of the stuff we have to insert ourselves was quite annoying.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:38 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

The lecture took me all fucking day to do. Not only was his outline complete shit (it was organized terribly, redundant, and had entire paragraphs every other bullet), he didn't teach anything. He just read through the outline without actually explaining or helping us understand anything. Before even giving you a second to digest everything he just threw at you, he was already halfway into the next topic. And not repeating any of the stuff we have to insert ourselves was quite annoying.

Same here...I literally agree with everything you said.

I started at just after 8 and still wasn't done by 1. Work 1-5 and picked back up at 5. Took be until about 6:30 to be done...Can't wait for tomorrow to be done, because it's gonna be another fucking time sink right before their midpoint exam...No way was I going to get nearly 50 MBE's and 2 essays (plus their review videos) done in addition to his lecture. Not possible.

theramblinman

Postby theramblinman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
despina wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That's a very good point! I find it takes me three passes of a topic to really start knowing the answers with any certainty. The first time I think, "fuck, I remember learning about this topic, but I don't recall the information at all" and I then have to look to my outline (or just take a guess). The second time I'll be closer to what you described--I'll generally know the content but won't have it down completely, so I inevitably forget an exception or something. The third time through I find myself finally really knowing my shit.

For the few specific topics I've been able to take 3+ practice tests for, my scores will always be similar the first two times and then significantly higher the third time. Theramblinman is likely experiencing the second stage.

Yea I think that is partially it. I went back through my test briefly and noticed that where I had it down between two choices I got it wrong at a very high rate. They were mostly questions where I missed a nuance of the rule, and I am hopeful once I actually have stuff memorized I will not miss those questions. At the very least this test will serve as great motivation. Thanks for the encouragement!

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Is it Corn? That's who we got in CA. Surprisingly, I like him. Or at least, he was easier to follow than say torts and Civ Pro.

I just gave up on watching Levine for Torts. His bar notes drove me nuts because they were in track changes mode with way too many spaces in between everything. And he was far too monotone/reading off the outline, after he said he wouldn't "just read the outline"

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”