Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gabewatch

Bronze

Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by gabewatch » Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 am

What do people think so far? I'm not that impressed. Taking New York. Why are they having us work on New York essays today when we have not reviewed any NY specific law yet? It feels somewhat pointless.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Kaplan Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:54 am

Huh, interesting. My Kaplan course (Georgia) did a day of MPT, and then dove into MBE subjects. Two days of evidence so far. Boring, but I suppose it'll get the job done.

I've been watching on 1.5x so far, but then again I took evidence in school - don't think I'll be able to do that for all of the subjects.

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am

Hmm yah, 1.5x is the only way to watch some of these. We did MPT and then MBE civ pro earlier this week. NY course appears to have only about 2 hours of stuff on the schedule for today though so that is pretty awesome.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 pm

If only Fromm could teach every subject. How are you guys feeling about the Qbank questions? I thought the diagnostic test was a huge waste of time, but I have started to notice patterns on the questions, and I don't know if that is good or bad.

SiRR

New

Post by SiRR » Fri May 29, 2015 3:15 pm

LAW813FL wrote: I thought the diagnostic test was a huge waste of time, but I have started to notice patterns on the questions, and I don't know if that is good or bad.
Totally agree. My time would have been better spent doing anything else - looking over old outlines, foundation courses, nothing.

California doesn't start until Monday, but I've been working through the foundation courses for classes I didn't take (like Evidence), or other stuff my 1L profs didn't cover or I'm weak in (hello, estates). I'm finding the foundation courses quite helpful.

I think the QBank is very helpful and I plan to use it as my primary study tool, particularly because MBE reinforces memorization and rapid recall. Not sure what to think about the fact you're noticing patterns, I've only done about 150 or so (aside from diagnostic). I thought Kaplan's MPRE questions were adequately test like, hoping for the same in MBE (no reason to suspect otherwise).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Fri May 29, 2015 5:35 pm

LAW813FL wrote:If only Fromm could teach every subject. How are you guys feeling about the Qbank questions? I thought the diagnostic test was a huge waste of time, but I have started to notice patterns on the questions, and I don't know if that is good or bad.
I skipped the diagnostic. Thought it was a waste since I didn't know any law. Of course I'd test poorly.

Been liking the Qbank questions so far, although I noticed one in Civ Pro that seemed wrong.

I've only done 65-70 MBE questions so far for Civ Pro. Getting around 70% right - not sure if that's good or not. I'm still missing out on some of the nuances. Starting outlining for Civ Pro today (not sure if this is useful, maybe spending time drilling MBE questions is better, but I figured it's a good way to learn the rules through distillation. I may just end up getting critical pass flashcards instead, but not sure) - I think I'll keep it light and wait until tomorrow to do some more MBE problems.

Also, the NY essay portion today was definitely useless. We haven't learned any law yet, so it was just us sitting back and watching a guy explain things I vaguely remember from 1L.

hotsummer

New

Post by hotsummer » Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Why did some of you feel the diagnostic a huge waste of time? Was it too easy or not a good set of questions…?
I personally thought it's probably more straightforward but still a good start to figure out what areas I should focus though...

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Sun May 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Lol at Fromm suddenly breaking out the glasses for the civ pro foundations course, but none of the others.

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Sun May 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SiRR

New

Post by SiRR » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 am

hotsummer wrote:Why did some of you feel the diagnostic a huge waste of time? Was it too easy or not a good set of questions…?
I personally thought it's probably more straightforward but still a good start to figure out what areas I should focus though...
For me it had nothing to do with the ease/straightforwardness of the questions. My complaints are logistical. I felt it was a waste because it was scheduled before any of the foundation courses and before lectures for some material I didn't even take in law school. I know the idea is for us to know where we are weak to know where to concentrate, but that strikes me as illusory.

Even for classes I have taken, I need to review all of the law before I'm ready to even practice test. So, before even having a single bar review lecture, my answer to "what are your weak areas?" is "everything, duh." I didn't need a five-hour test to illuminate that for me. I know I'll need to review everything, with my weakest areas being, you know, the classes I've never taken. I should have taken the diagnostic no earlier than after the foundation courses.

Scubasteve1315

New

Post by Scubasteve1315 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Are we supposed to have a book with the MBE Bar Notes that we fill out during the lectures or are we supposed to print out the .pdf version of each lecture?

I don't see the bar notes in any of the materials I received. Thanks...

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Scubasteve1315 wrote:Are we supposed to have a book with the MBE Bar Notes that we fill out during the lectures or are we supposed to print out the .pdf version of each lecture?

There's a .doc file on the syllabus you fill out with the videos.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EZ as AsDf

New

Post by EZ as AsDf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:57 pm

How long do you all spend on reviewing Bar Points?

Kiwi3891

New

Post by Kiwi3891 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

orangecup wrote:
Scubasteve1315 wrote:Are we supposed to have a book with the MBE Bar Notes that we fill out during the lectures or are we supposed to print out the .pdf version of each lecture?

There's a .doc file on the syllabus you fill out with the videos.
Are y'all finding that filling out the bar notes is taking a lot longer? I'm constantly having to pause the video. I'm taking the Texas Bar. Started off with Property, then OIl & Gas (mind-numbing), then Wills, Trusts, & Guardianships.

wakeJD15

New

Post by wakeJD15 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:32 pm

I think its been pretty good so far.

I do wish Fromm would do every lecture

Contracts has been the worst so far, did the 1st day lectures and then was told to do 33 questions about consideration and formation. Only problem is that 17 of those questions were about Parol Evidence and the Statute of Frauds which is covered in on day 2 of contracts. Felt like a huge waste of time

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:18 pm

wakeJD15 wrote:I think its been pretty good so far.

I do wish Fromm would do every lecture

Contracts has been the worst so far, did the 1st day lectures and then was told to do 33 questions about consideration and formation. Only problem is that 17 of those questions were about Parol Evidence and the Statute of Frauds which is covered in on day 2 of contracts. Felt like a huge waste of time
Yeah, the syllabus isn't great. For Civ Pro (day 1) they tell you to do 33 questions for Erie/Jurisd and pre-trial procedure, but you only cover a small sliver of pre-trial procedure so it's pointless. I started a couple of MBE qbank tests, and there's literally no way to cancel them and return them as unused Qs.

And yes, I feel like the vids, even at 1.5x speed, take roughly the length of the video to complete since I have to pause to jot something down, or take breaks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 pm

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:35 pm

underthirty wrote:For the February exam, I stopped taking notes from the lectures after a week. I found it took too long and I wasn't gaining anything from the note-taking. I would use the blank Bar Notes to follow along with the lecture instead.
What are these? Just the NY Bar Points book?

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:03 pm

SiRR

New

Post by SiRR » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:12 pm

orangecup wrote: Yeah, the syllabus isn't great. For Civ Pro (day 1) they tell you to do 33 questions for Erie/Jurisd and pre-trial procedure, but you only cover a small sliver of pre-trial procedure so it's pointless. I started a couple of MBE qbank tests, and there's literally no way to cancel them and return them as unused Qs.
I agree with this and find it pretty frustrating. From now on I'm going to wait and do the questions all at once at the end of a unit. I cannot stand doing a 30+ question quiz in the section they recommend only to find out that a third of the questions are from material that hasn't been covered. It's a waste of time and questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:44 pm

SiRR wrote:
orangecup wrote: Yeah, the syllabus isn't great. For Civ Pro (day 1) they tell you to do 33 questions for Erie/Jurisd and pre-trial procedure, but you only cover a small sliver of pre-trial procedure so it's pointless. I started a couple of MBE qbank tests, and there's literally no way to cancel them and return them as unused Qs.
I agree with this and find it pretty frustrating. From now on I'm going to wait and do the questions all at once at the end of a unit. I cannot stand doing a 30+ question quiz in the section they recommend only to find out that a third of the questions are from material that hasn't been covered. It's a waste of time and questions.
Ya, that happened today with negligence. . . half the questions were from stuff not covered yet. Also Kaplan should have 1.25X for their lectures.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Is the MBE Practice Questions & Answers book that I received in the mail different from the online MBE question bank on Kaplan's website? I am looking for an extra source of MBE questions

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 pm

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 pm

gabewatch wrote: Ya, that happened today with negligence. . . half the questions were from stuff not covered yet. Also Kaplan should have 1.25X for their lectures.
Same here. The negligence Qs included a lot of contributory/comparative fault stuff, as well as respondeat superior/vicarious liability that we did not cover yet. Maybe half a dozen or more in the set of 33 I chose. I got 22/33 right (not terrible, I suppose). Some of the uncovered stuff I got right, some I got wrong. The ones I got right, I just guessed based on my 1L torts recollection (which is admittedly terrible)

I also noticed that some of the Qs broach on some insane nuances (like how firefighters and police officers, even if the provide a pecuniary benefit in an inspection, are viewed as licensees).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”