Full-time worker bar review support group

texlaw

Full-time worker bar review support group

Postby texlaw » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 pm

I have seen some scattered posts from people working full-time while studying for the bar, and I thought it would be nice if we could all get together in one place to discuss strategies for balancing studies, work, and even family obligations.

How much study time have y'all been able to put in so far? I feel good if I get a solid 4 hours of studying in one day, even though it's a far cry from the 8-10 hours that they say we should be doing.

s1m4

Re: Full-time worker bar review support group

Postby s1m4 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Good luck to you all - What state are you taking?

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed May 27, 2015 3:33 pm

s1m4 wrote:Good luck to you all - What state are you taking?

Thanks! I'm taking the Texas bar exam.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed May 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Virginia checking in.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm

For those working - I really recommend getting an online MBE thing such as Adaptibar or the Kaplan QBank.

I had to work for some part of the time that I studied for Feb 15, and I found that after sitting all day at my desk, the last thing that I wanted to do at night was to sit at a different desk hunched over a book.

However, I did not mind kicking back on my comfortable couch, with a few pillows, a tea, some miles davis in the background, and my laptop on my lap. I would lay around and get through 2 - 3 hours of MBE questions online (minimum) like this, every night. There is no way I could have put up with that kind of time studying @ my desk with a book. It also let me get through about 3k mbe qs.

This led to California bar exam success.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Working full time and studying. I'm a repeater unfortunately. I'm doing about 4 hours a day including lunch and 16-20 hours on weekend. I just started studying yesterday.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:19 pm

s1m4 wrote:For those working - I really recommend getting an online MBE thing such as Adaptibar or the Kaplan QBank.

I had to work for some part of the time that I studied for Feb 15, and I found that after sitting all day at my desk, the last thing that I wanted to do at night was to sit at a different desk hunched over a book.

However, I did not mind kicking back on my comfortable couch, with a few pillows, a tea, some miles davis in the background, and my laptop on my lap. I would lay around and get through 2 - 3 hours of MBE questions online (minimum) like this, every night. There is no way I could have put up with that kind of time studying @ my desk with a book. It also let me get through about 3k mbe qs.

This led to California bar exam success.

Great tip. I just purchased Adaptibar and so far I like it way better then studying off the books & flipping pages.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am

Same here--started reading the other day, and I feel like I'm learning this material for the first time. (I'm retaking)

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu May 28, 2015 2:39 am

cndounda1985 wrote:Working full time and studying. I'm a repeater unfortunately. I'm doing about 4 hours a day including lunch and 16-20 hours on weekend. I just started studying yesterday.

Repeater checking in as well. I billed 14 hrs today, and expect to work about 14-15 hrs per day until sunday, so I'm off to a good start :?

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 am

Repeater also checking in. My iPad has almost everything on it and I have it with me at all times. Torts today, fun times :wink:

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Repeater checking in as well. I billed 14 hrs today, and expect to work about 14-15 hrs per day until sunday, so I'm off to a good start :?

Yikes! I hope your load lightens up after this week.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu May 28, 2015 11:50 am

So what is everyone's strategy given our more restrictive schedules?

I failed the CA bar in Feb, so a lot of the stuff is still mildly fresh in my mind. I'm almost done with a very expedited review of a 150-page outline of all the subjects that I made for the Feb exam, and plan to skim over areas I'm unsure about in the CMR (Barbri) afterward to supplement. Afterwards, I'm probably going to start doing a ton of practice questions (both essay and MBE) to get my technique down and hammer in the law.

I could use a shortened outline of the essential areas of the law as a quick go-to when I want to review. Does anyone know if I could buy something like this?

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu May 28, 2015 3:21 pm

I took California last year and passed, but now have to take Louisiana for a new job -- it's totally different from California (and totally different than anything I learned in law school), so it definitely sucks. Feel like I'm starting from scratch.

If I manage to sneak away from work at a reasonable hour (6:30 or so), I can maybe put in 2-3 hours, plus maybe a half hour before work. The weekends I've been trying to do 12 or so hours. I don't think this is enough but I don't know how to make any more time happen while still getting my work done.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:22 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I took California last year and passed, but now have to take Louisiana for a new job -- it's totally different from California (and totally different than anything I learned in law school), so it definitely sucks. Feel like I'm starting from scratch.

If I manage to sneak away from work at a reasonable hour (6:30 or so), I can maybe put in 2-3 hours, plus maybe a half hour before work. The weekends I've been trying to do 12 or so hours. I don't think this is enough but I don't know how to make any more time happen while still getting my work done.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:24 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I took California last year and passed, but now have to take Louisiana for a new job -- it's totally different from California (and totally different than anything I learned in law school), so it definitely sucks. Feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Hey I'm licensed in Louisiana! I didn't go to law school in LA so I understand. For LA, make sure you know the code sections 1, 2 and 3 cold those are weighted more heavily. Also, do any and all essays you can get your hands on. The LA bar examiners are lazy and they continuously repeat exams. If you PM me I can send you outlines I used for LA.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Fri May 29, 2015 11:25 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:So what is everyone's strategy given our more restrictive schedules?

I failed the CA bar in Feb, so a lot of the stuff is still mildly fresh in my mind. I'm almost done with a very expedited review of a 150-page outline of all the subjects that I made for the Feb exam, and plan to skim over areas I'm unsure about in the CMR (Barbri) afterward to supplement. Afterwards, I'm probably going to start doing a ton of practice questions (both essay and MBE) to get my technique down and hammer in the law.

I could use a shortened outline of the essential areas of the law as a quick go-to when I want to review. Does anyone know if I could buy something like this?

I'm still trying different things to find my best strategy, but for now it involves listening to the audio lectures after I wake up and before going to sleep, since my mind is half asleep during those times and filling out the lecture handouts takes the least amount of brain power. Then I try to find bits of time throughout the day to do a couple of practice MBE questions here & there and/or outline an essay question. I'm using Themis and don't think I'll have time to supplement it with anything else.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 am

taking Illinois this summer. Already behind 2 lectures. Hopefully I can find time this weekend to catch up

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm taking the Texas bar and working full-time around 9-10 hours a day plus commuting. My only time is on the weekends and evening times. For any that are doing the Kaplan prep, are y'all finding that filling out the lecture notes is taking a lot longer than the time posted on each section? I feel like after doing those notes and just looking over them doesn't give me enough time to learn/remember the material before trying to answer some of the practice questions.
And Texas Oil and Gas...omg that's a lot to go over for just 1 essay question or a part of an essay question on the exam itself. :shock:
How did you all do on the diagnostics?

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 pm

So exhausted today, i've taken several breaks. So hard to get motivated today. sigh 59 more days

osheimb

Postby osheimb » Sun May 31, 2015 7:54 pm

California, checking in.

I worked part-time last summer and passed in Michigan. But now working full-time studying for California...it's way harder. I feel like CA is NOT a minimum competency exam--the essays are so in depth.

I started with MBE topics in March and have been ramping up to full steam. Full steam for me looks like: between 2-4 hours 4/5 weekdays and 8-10 hours Sat & Sun. In a good week I can get 35 hours of studying in. I figure that's pretty good since I only did about 10-15 more than that last summer. I'm relying on repeating a strong MBE this time, trying to focus on CA essays and the performance tests. For those already licensed in CA, I'm open to essay & performance test tips :D

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:33 pm

This morning, I tried listening to a barbri lecture while driving into work. My roundtrip commute is about 1:15 everyday, so my plan is to chip away at the lectures while driving. Worked alright this morning; I'd recommend it.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 am

Was everyone able to get their first graded essay submitted?

I'm going to try to do mine today. (although I've been saying that for a few days now...)

blue232

Postby blue232 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:30 pm

I am licensed in Louisiana and am happy to pass along some study strategy tips - pm me if you're interested! Good luck!

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:42 am

Checking in from Massachusetts.

I currently work a full time and a part time job (2-3 nights a week). Currently I work nights on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. On Monday and Thursday's mornings (around 5am) I work on completing outlines, or finish reading the next subject listed. On Tuesday and Wednesday evenings I complete lectures or complete checkpoint quizzes (Kaplan course). Saturday and Sunday are dedicated for review or practice exams (full or half day). Lately Friday evenings I have taken a break (I will use this time for review in the next two weeks).

Unfortunately I am a repeater. My weakness is within the MBE (especially Property and Torts). I found that completing as many MBE questions (released) has improved score. Within my first attempt I used Barbri. However, I found their practice questions did not really resemble actual MBE questions. I am finding Kaplan is more geared toward individualized study plans, and the questions seem more similar to the actual MBE questions.

Overall a lot of work, stress, and exhaustion. Hopefully, it will pay off!

Side note: Any tips regarding Property MBE questions? I struggle the most within easements and covenants?

Thanks!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 am

Holy crap, 48 days left. I don't know how we're supposed to be covering all this material with the limited number of hours that we have in a day. Feels literally impossible--I can't even figure it out.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”