July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Neff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:37 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

Essays- I got a 141 on the essays. I scored above the 50th percentile on 5/6 of the AM essays. Didn't do as well on the PM ones, except for O&G which I got in the 93rd %ile. Absolutely bombed the last UCC essay and the community property essay, somehow. I wasn't feeling great about those essays but I sure didn't feel terrible either. And I somehow scored way better on that weird M&M lien question for property, and I 100% guessed that entire answer. Not as worried about the essays in February because I consider that my strength.

MPT- 120. I have NO idea what happened here. None. I finished that thing with 5 minutes to spare and was thinking "nailed it!" when it was over. I thought I hit every point and articulated everything well. And I got a 120. The 3rd ****ing percentile! I have absolutely no idea how that happened. This was nothing like the MBE where I felt awful afterward. I wrote everything out in layman-friendly language, I cited the appropriate authorities and explained why they were relevant, I IRAC'd perfectly, and I came to a clear conclusion. I'm at a loss for words.

P/E- 130. Not sure what happened here either. In June I read something about how it's important to know this stuff down cold. So I did a practice test (almost) every day up until exam week. Again, I felt good. I found the Civil portion to be easy and only came across maybe 2 questions where I had to guess. Crim was harder. I got in the mid 30s %ile for Civ and 20th for Crim. I overprepared for this and even bought Barbri's supplemental program thing because I went to school out of state. Again, I felt good after day 1.

MBE- 125.9. 20th percentile. Ugh. What a miserable experience. The MBE was so laughably hard. Nothing felt correct. There were maybe 10-20 questions that were "easy." There were like 2 obscure questions I knew because of Barbri but I felt pretty unprepared for the rest of it, and I agonized over that stupid "pull the chair out from under him" question. I got 101 on the Barbri midterm and 50 on the refresher. But otherwise I was hitting 60-70% on the other sets and was feeling much more confident later on. I thought I would at least do well enough to pass. I finished with time to spare for both AM & PM. I don't remember a string of Ds but I do remember lots of D & B answers in the AM. What's funny is I maybe could have passed if my Day 1 went better. This destroyed my confidence because I just don't know how to prepare more for this. Every question was so tricky and all I did was narrow it down to 2 answers and then be forced to pick one because of time. I hate the MBE.

I've been reading that spreadsheet and noticed that for almost everyone who failed, they had some kind of reason (didn't start studying until July, married w/kids, full-time job, neglected X area of study big time)... but I have none of those reasons. I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|


I got a 126 on the Barbri midterm and 157 on the real thing. Being extremely anal, I kept track during the test and counted 90/200 I was at least pretty sure about, and the rest were guesses between at least two possible correct answers. I felt that the MBE was a mind-reading test. The unfortunate thing is I can't tell you how I got a 150+, and I have no absolutely no confidence that if I had to do it again I would do as well or even pass -- that's how much of a shit show it felt. Although my Barbri midterm was a bit better than yours, I was averaging the same as you on the other sets (or maybe less -- I was always in the low 60s except for evidence). The only extra thing I did was get the Emanuel book and do every single question in it cover to cover. Maybe that might help you, since Emanuel's was quite different from Barbri's questions. But the real MBE, Barbri, and Emanuel questions each felt distinctively different.

In your case, I feel like you were so close to passing that you may have to accept that it may have been down to dumb bad luck. I passed with a 750 overall, but if you really break down the numbers, 1) my essay scores were only marginally better than yours, 2) you were hurt by the sheer capriciousness of MPT, 3) you didn't read the MBE test maker's minds as well as some other people. All in all, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. I have faith that all that separates you from passing is just another try.

Litigatrix
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Litigatrix » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Neff wrote:
[+] Spoiler
DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

Essays- I got a 141 on the essays. I scored above the 50th percentile on 5/6 of the AM essays. Didn't do as well on the PM ones, except for O&G which I got in the 93rd %ile. Absolutely bombed the last UCC essay and the community property essay, somehow. I wasn't feeling great about those essays but I sure didn't feel terrible either. And I somehow scored way better on that weird M&M lien question for property, and I 100% guessed that entire answer. Not as worried about the essays in February because I consider that my strength.

MPT- 120. I have NO idea what happened here. None. I finished that thing with 5 minutes to spare and was thinking "nailed it!" when it was over. I thought I hit every point and articulated everything well. And I got a 120. The 3rd ****ing percentile! I have absolutely no idea how that happened. This was nothing like the MBE where I felt awful afterward. I wrote everything out in layman-friendly language, I cited the appropriate authorities and explained why they were relevant, I IRAC'd perfectly, and I came to a clear conclusion. I'm at a loss for words.

P/E- 130. Not sure what happened here either. In June I read something about how it's important to know this stuff down cold. So I did a practice test (almost) every day up until exam week. Again, I felt good. I found the Civil portion to be easy and only came across maybe 2 questions where I had to guess. Crim was harder. I got in the mid 30s %ile for Civ and 20th for Crim. I overprepared for this and even bought Barbri's supplemental program thing because I went to school out of state. Again, I felt good after day 1.

MBE- 125.9. 20th percentile. Ugh. What a miserable experience. The MBE was so laughably hard. Nothing felt correct. There were maybe 10-20 questions that were "easy." There were like 2 obscure questions I knew because of Barbri but I felt pretty unprepared for the rest of it, and I agonized over that stupid "pull the chair out from under him" question. I got 101 on the Barbri midterm and 50 on the refresher. But otherwise I was hitting 60-70% on the other sets and was feeling much more confident later on. I thought I would at least do well enough to pass. I finished with time to spare for both AM & PM. I don't remember a string of Ds but I do remember lots of D & B answers in the AM. What's funny is I maybe could have passed if my Day 1 went better. This destroyed my confidence because I just don't know how to prepare more for this. Every question was so tricky and all I did was narrow it down to 2 answers and then be forced to pick one because of time. I hate the MBE.

I've been reading that spreadsheet and noticed that for almost everyone who failed, they had some kind of reason (didn't start studying until July, married w/kids, full-time job, neglected X area of study big time)... but I have none of those reasons. I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|

I got a 126 on the Barbri midterm and 157 on the real thing. Being extremely anal, I kept track during the test and counted 90/200 I was at least pretty sure about, and the rest were guesses between at least two possible correct answers. I felt that the MBE was a mind-reading test. The unfortunate thing is I can't tell you how I got a 150+, and I have no absolutely no confidence that if I had to do it again I would do as well or even pass -- that's how much of a shit show it felt. Although my Barbri midterm was a bit better than yours, I was averaging the same as you on the other sets (or maybe less -- I was always in the low 60s except for evidence). The only extra thing I did was get the Emanuel book and do every single question in it cover to cover. Maybe that might help you, since Emanuel's was quite different from Barbri's questions. But the real MBE, Barbri, and Emanuel questions each felt distinctively different.

In your case, I feel like you were so close to passing that you may have to accept that it may have been down to dumb bad luck. I passed with a 750 overall, but if you really break down the numbers, 1) my essay scores were only marginally better than yours, 2) you were hurt by the sheer capriciousness of MPT, 3) you didn't read the MBE test maker's minds as well as some other people. All in all, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. I have faith that all that separates you from passing is just another try.

I have a different take. The key on the MBE is not trying to out-think or read the mind of the test maker. It's simply answering the question that is being asked. You're given a correct answer. If you can't identify the correct answer straight away, then start eliminating wrong answers. If any portion of a choice is incorrect, then the whole thing is wrong. Don't try to talk yourself into an answer with a wrong subpart. I finished both session with about an hour to spare because I answered the question and moved on. I flagged maybe 4-5 questions to go back to, but otherwise once I selected an answer, that was that. I also finished with a 157 using Themis (MBE prep was meh), working full time, and taking the exam 10+ years after finishing law school (and practicing) in California.

Does PMBR still do MBE prep? I took it for my first bar exam back in the day. Through some sheer luck, I found my PMBR notes/outline on an old computer and used it this time around to supplement my efforts.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Litigatrix wrote:Does PMBR still do MBE prep? I took it for my first bar exam back in the day. Through some sheer luck, I found my PMBR notes/outline on an old computer and used it this time around to supplement my efforts.


PMBR got bought by Kaplan. I think they may still have some product branded as PMBR but I'm not sure what.

I disagree that there was always a clearly right MBE answer. On numerous occasions I eliminate all the answers and then started working backward to figure out which was least wrong; I also had some where all 4 seemed equally right. Sometimes you did have to intuit what the examiners were thinking; I'm glad I did it well enough to pass and am sorry to those who did not.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:30 am

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|


This is me. Except I'm 27 points from passing. I hate this whole exam.

JerseyTex
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby JerseyTex » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 am

Take it from me, a third time taker who was out of state. My first exam I got 650, I completed 35% of Barbri, MBE was 133. My second time I got 669 completed 68% of Barbri my MBE was 134. My third time I got 714 completed 96.7 percent of Themis and got a 141.7 on MBE. More horsepower, more time in the seat (or saddle here in TX), I did every P/E exam offered, over and over again until I knew the answers cold. Did every practice essay the BLE offered, did the entire set of 2400 practice MBE questions.

The first two times I took the exam I tried to be a hero at work and only took off two weeks, and then three weeks. This time around I got lucky here in Houston with a memorial day flood that shut down the office for two weeks, and two "work trips" that provided a change of scenery and allowed me to study in a hotel room. Finally I burned all my vacation time and floating holidays.

abarrien
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:28 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby abarrien » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:06 am

jamescastle wrote:
DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|


This is me. Except I'm 27 points from passing. I hate this whole exam.


Did you ever find out if there was anything wrong with your MPT?

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

abarrien wrote:
jamescastle wrote:
DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|


This is me. Except I'm 27 points from passing. I hate this whole exam.


Did you ever find out if there was anything wrong with your MPT?

I have to submit an informal review and then they'll get back to me. Who knows when that will be.
Whatever was wrong, I know nothing will change. I'll just hear that I answered the wrong question or did the wrong format or something. Apparently the informal review is really informal in the sense that you can sorta have a conversation with them over the result.

Even if this wasn't true and there was a glitch somewhere and something happened with my answer (a <0.001% chance of being true), I can't imagine they would tell me anything differently so as to preserve face.

Hopefully I learn from it and pass next time. I'm starting up today with re-learning everything that I was hoping to forget forever with property. It'd be nice if I could say come April that I took the bar exam twice and on average passed both times. But I doubt I'll improve that much.

As an added kick to the nuts, I had two job interviews this week and had good chances at both of them. Now with failing the bar I doubt I'll get either one (since I'll have to take off January and February).

houstonlawyer1987
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby houstonlawyer1987 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:37 am

deleted

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 pm

t14green wrote:One of my good friends just passed with a 170 MBE and an 830 overall score. Is there any way to check percentile on the overall score?


A couple of data points:

Top scorer got 881.

And the median MBE for this exam nationally was 139.9, which would project to a 699.5 median for Texas since they scale to MBE.

User avatar
Mactx
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:32 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Mactx » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:36 am

Anyone know when the selected answers get posed??

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:44 pm

...

[ETA: Congrats to everyone who took the oath on Monday!]
Last edited by BVest on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulyTXBar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby JulyTXBar » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Looks like you've got the front seat to everything.

Did anyone else receive their bar card?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 pm

JulyTXBar wrote:Did anyone else receive their bar card?


Got mine today. And since I got one when I dropped off my dues in person, I apparently have an extra.

ladylawyer1221
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:04 pm

JulyTXBar wrote:Looks like you've got the front seat to everything.

Did anyone else receive their bar card?


I still have not received mine

Kiwi3891
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Kiwi3891 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:49 pm

ladylawyer1221 wrote:
JulyTXBar wrote:Looks like you've got the front seat to everything.

Did anyone else receive their bar card?


I still have not received mine


I haven't received my yet. Anyone else?

User avatar
hookem7
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby hookem7 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Nothing here either.

ladylawyer1221
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 am

I got my bar card yesterday, but still waiting for the license.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests