July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

JulyTXBar

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby JulyTXBar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Has anyone been able to access the system to pay the dues?

miy

Postby miy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:08 pm

I haven't yet. Says they are still updating for all those who just passed the bar. Still can't access my actual score via efast either.

C'mon, TxBar/BLE. Kindof disappointing considering how much money I've paid for my Bar application, exam fee, laptop fee, and how much money I will eventually continue to pay in Bar dues.

newguyintown

Postby newguyintown » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:25 pm

texasbarexaminee15 wrote:This is my second time failing. The first time, I scored a 644, but left two essay questions completely blank. And, a third question might as well have been blank. I did horrible on the MPT--I only scored higher than 3% of all others (also ran out of time for any meaningful analysis). I scored a 139 on the MBE.

This last exam, I answered everything, and felt confident in my responses. Time wasn't an issue, nor did I feel lost at any point during this exam. I felt good about the MBE.

But, I failed, again. I feel numb and confused. My confidence has taken a tremendous blow. I feel like I'm in a nightmare, and I can't wake up. To make matters worse, my efast account does not contain any"documents" link. So, I have no idea what I scored. This has to be one of the WORST feelings to have to endure. You work SOOOO hard for something, and you fail. The worst part is, I feel like I let down my family and friends.

Congratulations, to all those who passed. I apologize for my ramblings.

Very sorry to hear, I hope you kick it's ass the next time around. Don't beat yourself up, it's a hard f'in test that I bet all the people you know couldn't even come close to what you've done up to this point. You're right on the edge, you just need a few more points.

If I can add my 2 quick cents (in regard to my study plan) in hopes you pull something from it to get over the hump next time. I know this might not work for everyone, but I figured I'd throw it out there because I passed yesterday by 7 points.

-Day 1 Stuff: Practiced old procedure tests DAILY (1 for each Civ and Crim) = memorization is the key, so much so that I could recite them in my sleep. I used the TBE site for old tests and "model answers" along with the barbri book for old tests and answers. Start with new tests and work backwards - I did about 10-15 years worth of these. I complied 2 word documents - 1 for civ and 1 for crim - of notes. So I was practicing tests daily (1 each) and then reviewing my notes as I compiled them.

-Day 2 Stuff: As far as MBE - you're right where you need to be, I suck at it so I can't be helpful here. My final practice MBE test I got a 99/200. On the real thing I got a 123.1 - I went in with fingers crossed and with a f'ck it attitude because that's all I could do.

-Day 3 stuff: practiced 2-4 TOPICS DAILY = this means I READ (not practice write) anywhere from 3-5 different essays for EACH of the 2-4 DAILY topics. I printed off old tests and "model answers" from the TBE site and from the barbri practice book. I wound up with a giant stack of just essay stuff that I highlighted and read...and re-read...and re-re-read. I did some practice essay writing, but I largely read them repeatedly - they'll become second nature in no time - for example: during test time I could give you ALL the requirements and exact deadlines for M&M liens; I understood commercial paper and didn't think it was that bad (everyone says paper is hard and doesn't make sense. It's idiotic and it's like pulling teeth, but somehow it made enough sense to me simply because I memorized answers); I also could answer essay #12 about statutory foreclosure from secured because I remembered it from reading some old essays.

As an aside: I went to school in Okla. so I had to teach myself several of the TX laws: Paper, Trusts, wills, prop, family, guardianship, secured, comm. prop, consumer, Civil Pro, Crim Pro. I learned all of these merely by reading old essays and answers over and over and over and over.

So by the time day 1 of the test arrived, I felt solid about 17 for each of the short answers and I felt like they threw in a few tougher ones.

On day 3 the first 6 essays was like playing tee-ball; the last 6 were like playing underhand or soft toss. They keep asking the same types of questions year after year so by reading 10-15 years worth of essays and short answers, I was ready to handle most essays. As far as the writing essays in 30 minutes - I knew the law cold and saw how it applied, so I could jump in and rattle off an answer in 30-35 min. Memorize the hell out of the law as applied in context, the writing writes itself.

As far as the lectures - I found those to be a giant waste of time for me. I was signed up for the regular class, but never actually attended any of the classes. I didn't even pick up the ID card. I started with some of the lectures online, but sitting there passively filling in a document wasn't useful for me - I need to be more engaged in the material by practicing with it. For the first few weeks I did the lectures, but quickly stopped watching them after that.

The MPT is a dumb waste of time, I practiced that once or twice and just winged it on day 1, so I really don't know I did.

Leading up to test day my DAILY routine for the final 6+ weeks or so: 1 TX Civ test, 1 TX Crim test, 25-50 MBE Q's + review answers, read 2-4 essay topics (4 essays per topic = 8-16 essays I read a day. I re-read them all until I could practically memorize everything) By the end I had a big stack of Crim Pro, Civ Pro, and essays. I studied around 8-12 hours/day and started to take a day off or two when it came close to test day. In my hotel room in between test days I tried to review for an hour or less and then I played old school video games I brought from home.

texasbarexaminee15

Postby texasbarexaminee15 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:44 pm

newguyintown wrote:
texasbarexaminee15 wrote:This is my second time failing. The first time, I scored a 644, but left two essay questions completely blank. And, a third question might as well have been blank. I did horrible on the MPT--I only scored higher than 3% of all others (also ran out of time for any meaningful analysis). I scored a 139 on the MBE.

This last exam, I answered everything, and felt confident in my responses. Time wasn't an issue, nor did I feel lost at any point during this exam. I felt good about the MBE.

But, I failed, again. I feel numb and confused. My confidence has taken a tremendous blow. I feel like I'm in a nightmare, and I can't wake up. To make matters worse, my efast account does not contain any"documents" link. So, I have no idea what I scored. This has to be one of the WORST feelings to have to endure. You work SOOOO hard for something, and you fail. The worst part is, I feel like I let down my family and friends.

Very sorry to hear, I hope you kick it's ass the next time around. Don't beat yourself up, it's a hard f'in test that I bet all the people you know couldn't even come close to what you've done up to this point. You're right on the edge, you just need a few more points.

If I can add my 2 quick cents (in regard to my study plan) in hopes you pull something from it to get over the hump next time. I know this might not work for everyone, but I figured I'd throw it out there because I passed yesterday by 7 points.

-Day 1 Stuff: Practiced old procedure tests DAILY (1 for each Civ and Crim) = memorization is the key, so much so that I could recite them in my sleep. I used the TBE site for old tests and "model answers" along with the barbri book for old tests and answers. Start with new tests and work backwards - I did about 10-15 years worth of these. I complied 2 word documents - 1 for civ and 1 for crim - of notes. So I was practicing tests daily (1 each) and then reviewing my notes as I compiled them.

-Day 2 Stuff: As far as MBE - you're right where you need to be, I suck at it so I can't be helpful here. My final practice MBE test I got a 99/200. On the real thing I got a 123.1 - I went in with fingers crossed and with a f'ck it attitude because that's all I could do.

-Day 3 stuff: practiced 2-4 TOPICS DAILY = this means I READ (not practice write) anywhere from 3-5 different essays for EACH of the 2-4 DAILY topics. I printed off old tests and "model answers" from the TBE site and from the barbri practice book. I wound up with a giant stack of just essay stuff that I highlighted and read...and re-read...and re-re-read. I did some practice essay writing, but I largely read them repeatedly - they'll become second nature in no time - for example: during test time I could give you ALL the requirements and exact deadlines for M&M liens; I understood commercial paper and didn't think it was that bad (everyone says paper is hard and doesn't make sense. It's idiotic and it's like pulling teeth, but somehow it made enough sense to me simply because I memorized answers); I also could answer essay #12 about statutory foreclosure from secured because I remembered it from reading some old essays.

As an aside: I went to school in Okla. so I had to teach myself several of the TX laws: Paper, Trusts, wills, prop, family, guardianship, secured, comm. prop, consumer, Civil Pro, Crim Pro. I learned all of these merely by reading old essays and answers over and over and over and over.

So by the time day 1 of the test arrived, I felt solid about 17 for each of the short answers and I felt like they threw in a few tougher ones.

On day 3 the first 6 essays was like playing tee-ball; the last 6 were like playing underhand or soft toss. They keep asking the same types of questions year after year so by reading 10-15 years worth of essays and short answers, I was ready to handle most essays. As far as the writing essays in 30 minutes - I knew the law cold and saw how it applied, so I could jump in and rattle off an answer in 30-35 min. Memorize the hell out of the law as applied in context, the writing writes itself.

As far as the lectures - I found those to be a giant waste of time for me. I was signed up for the regular class, but never actually attended any of the classes. I didn't even pick up the ID card. I started with some of the lectures online, but sitting there passively filling in a document wasn't useful for me - I need to be more engaged in the material by practicing with it. For the first few weeks I did the lectures, but quickly stopped watching them after that.

The MPT is a dumb waste of time, I practiced that once or twice and just winged it on day 1, so I really don't know I did.

Leading up to test day my DAILY routine for the final 6+ weeks or so: 1 TX Civ test, 1 TX Crim test, 25-50 MBE Q's + review answers, read 2-4 essay topics (4 essays per topic = 8-16 essays I read a day. I re-read them all until I could practically memorize everything) By the end I had a big stack of Crim Pro, Civ Pro, and essays. I studied around 8-12 hours/day and started to take a day off or two when it came close to test day. In my hotel room in between test days I tried to review for an hour or less and then I played old school video games I brought from home.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU for taking the time out of your day to respond with such insightful tips. I've spent the last 29 hours or so, depressed and isolated from the outside world (with the exception of this forum), but I'm slowly starting to pick myself up and realize that I will PASS the next time. I will be implementing some of your advice. You're correct, repetition is key! Again, thank you for being so considerate to share your encouragement, experience, and study habits with me. I just have to keep pounding the ROCK!

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

newguyintown

Postby newguyintown » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 pm

texasbarexaminee15 wrote:
newguyintown wrote:

I just want to say a big THANK YOU for taking the time out of your day to respond with such insightful tips. I've spent the last 29 hours or so, depressed and isolated from the outside world (with the exception of this forum), but I'm slowly starting to pick myself up and realize that I will PASS the next time. I will be implementing some of your advice. You're correct, repetition is key! Again, thank you for being so considerate to share your encouragement, experience, and study habits with me. I just have to keep pounding the ROCK!

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

No problem at all, I hope some of it helps. Good attitude, yes I know it sucks really badly, but from the look of it you're already in a much better position than me going into the test. Your MBE scores blow mine away. I think the MBE is much harder than the short answers and essays because you can't regurgitate answers, plus there's no partial credit. Look at it this way - you just need to fine tune some points on the two sections that are easier to make up points. You've got it right, memorization. Seriously, it works. To put a finer point on that: memorization in context - see the big overall picture for the essays. See how all the parts work together for a better understanding of the question asked. There wasn't enough study time before the test to break down each essay topic and learn everything in the notes and outlines - I simply played the odds and went with tested questions. Yes I did roll the dice slightly because I didn't study EVERY little thing in the outlines. I also skipped Bankruptcy and Fed Income Tax. I took tax in school and don't remember very much about it, but those haven't been tested in years so I figured they probably were not going to be asked.

Here's the thing that you can count on: there's only so many ways they can test you. This goes for all 3 sections. Review as many old tests and answers as you possibly can. It won't take long at all until you realize they're asking about the same stuff over and over. The key is to see how they mix it up a little bit because...there's only so many ways they can test you.

That's how I got through it. I passed because of days 1 and 3, not because of day 2 - I BOMBED the MBE and boy am I glad the MBE is only worth 40%. If I can pass with a bad MBE score, you absolutely can pass with your above average score - isn't the goal average around 135, something like that?

One more thing to note about the essays: get a copy of the breakdown of how many essays to expect. Barbri had a page in their TX essay writing workshop (p. 5-6), but I'm sure other companies have something similar and I'm sure the TBE site has one somewhere. I ripped this out of my book and had it with me all the time. For the topics that test 2 essays, study those twice as much as the topics that appear only 1x. If they ask about the DTPA, you know going in they're only going to ask 1 essay about it and most likely it's going to be about a consumer OR debt collection. If they ask about property, you know they're going to ask 2 essays and there's a solid chance 1 of them is going to be O/G and the other is likely about AP or conveyances, perhaps about M&M liens. For the UCC, the trend over the last several years was secured trans and commercial paper - I want to say there were less than 5 UCC contract questions asked in the past 10+ years of testing - flipping through old tests it seemed like every year they asked about secured trans in some form or fashion. By the way: the TBE "selected answers" on their website are nothing spectacular. This means that your essays need to look like those to get a solid amount of points. The "model answers" in the barbri essay book are not written in 30 min or less on the day of the bar; they're written by professional test writers who can take their time making sure every little thing is correct - so don't stress if yours don't look like those. Make them look like the ones the TBE selects.

I think you get the point here. When you go through enough old tests, you see not only the essay topics to expect but how they can ask them. So if you do enough of them, by game day you should be ready for just about everything. The same goes for day 1 stuff: do enough tests and you'll see how many ways they're asking you about stuff. It's going to suck repeating things over and over and it might give you a headache, but when you can rattle it off in no time you'll get those last few points.

Mental side note: don't beat yourself up if you get stuff wrong. Take your foot off the gas and relax from the first time you start studying until game day. It's strange the way it works, but when you develop a more stress-free ("care free") attitude, you perform better. Also, remove the outside pressure and stress about how family and friends may perceive you - f'ck all that noise. Turn it around and think about it this way: they care that much because they support you and want you to succeed. You'll get it done, you're right there. I'm sure there are lots of other people who would love to be in that spot, right on the edge.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to email you those Crim Pro & Civ Pro notes I compiled to give you an idea of what worked for me. Just PM me.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:50 am

To anyone that didn't pass and has looked at your grade breakdown:

Did you get a 0.00 percentile on anything?

I got this on the MPT and frankly I just can't believe it. I can't imagine that had I fallen asleep on my keyboard that I would have gotten the same score as what I typed up.
I'm gonna try to contact the board next week to see what's up and do an "informal review" (if that even covers the MPT).

Even in the worst case imaginable - which I would think is not even answering the right question in the right format - the amount of effort and quality of my response (given my misreading) would merit above a 0. A 0.5 or a 1.0 is still pretty bad on the whole and I feel like in this worst case scenario, I would still get that.

Anyone?

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 am

The New Attorney registration site is now up! Go forth and lawyer!

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:38 am

jamescastle wrote:To anyone that didn't pass and has looked at your grade breakdown:

I got this on the MPT and frankly I just can't believe it. I can't imagine that had I fallen asleep on my keyboard that I would have gotten the same score as what I typed up.
I'm gonna try to contact the board next week to see what's up and do an "informal review" (if that even covers the MPT).

Even in the worst case imaginable - which I would think is not even answering the right question in the right format - the amount of effort and quality of my response (given my misreading) would merit above a 0. A 0.5 or a 1.0 is still pretty bad on the whole and I feel like in this worst case scenario, I would still get that.

Anyone?

I agree that seems unlikely. I don't know anything about their informal review process, but their automatic re-reads for grades between 670 and 674 apparently include the MPT, so I don't see why it wouldn't also be part of the review. Good luck!

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:38 pm

jamescastle wrote:To anyone that didn't pass and has looked at your grade breakdown:

Anyone?

"The MPT is graded on a scale where a 6 is the highest possible score and 0 is the lowest possible score."

http://www.ble.state.tx.us/ExaminationI ... 08_pdf.pdf

I would think there would be lots of zeros under this standard.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:15 pm

texlaw wrote:"The MPT is graded on a scale where a 6 is the highest possible score and 0 is the lowest possible score."

http://www.ble.state.tx.us/ExaminationI ... 08_pdf.pdf

I would think there would be lots of zeros under this standard.

I would gladly accept a 0 if it's because I answered the question in the wrong format or didn't answer it the right way or something. I would like to know this through the informal review.
But if I did get it right and still got a 0 then I don't even know where to begin to review for the MPT. The MPT is supposed to be easy mode. If my answer can be summarized as "everything you did was awful" then that's hard to correct. Knowing "you failed it because you answered in the wrong style" or something is at least fixable. But "everything" is not fixable by February I don't feel. It's basically saying "You Cannot Write" which hurts my confidence even more for a February re-take.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:14 pm

The state bar's scheduling of the live versions of the mandatory CLE course we have to take (A Guide to the Basics of Law Practice) seems questionable, at least for Houston and Dallas:

Austin: October 26, 2015 and February 19, 2016
Dallas: November 5, 2015 and March 4, 2016

The program runs 9-2, so at the time scores were announced there was about 15 minutes left in Dallas.

Oh, and for some reason it costs $40 more to take it online than in person.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:19 pm

BVest wrote:The state bar's scheduling of the live versions of the mandatory CLE course we have to take (A Guide to the Basics of Law Practice) seems questionable, at least for Houston and Dallas:

Austin: October 26, 2015 and February 19, 2016
Dallas: November 5, 2015 and March 4, 2016

The program runs 9-2, so at the time scores were announced there was about 15 minutes left in Dallas.

Oh, and for some reason it costs $40 more to take it online than in person.

I think the November 5th one was the last day for people who passed the 2014 July bar exam. I'm guessing we'll have the same option a year from now.

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:30 pm

dsb83 wrote:The New Attorney registration site is now up! Go forth and lawyer!

I registered and paid the fees, but I'm still not showing up when I search for myself under "find a lawyer." Anyone else experiencing this? I wonder if it just takes awhile for the website to update

texasbarexaminee15

Postby texasbarexaminee15 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:52 pm

newguyintown wrote:
newguyintown wrote:

No problem at all, I hope some of it helps. Good attitude, yes I know it sucks really badly, but from the look of it you're already in a much better position than me going into the test. Your MBE scores blow mine away. I think the MBE is much harder than the short answers and essays because you can't regurgitate answers, plus there's no partial credit. Look at it this way - you just need to fine tune some points on the two sections that are easier to make up points. You've got it right, memorization. Seriously, it works. To put a finer point on that: memorization in context - see the big overall picture for the essays. See how all the parts work together for a better understanding of the question asked. There wasn't enough study time before the test to break down each essay topic and learn everything in the notes and outlines - I simply played the odds and went with tested questions. Yes I did roll the dice slightly because I didn't study EVERY little thing in the outlines. I also skipped Bankruptcy and Fed Income Tax. I took tax in school and don't remember very much about it, but those haven't been tested in years so I figured they probably were not going to be asked.

Here's the thing that you can count on: there's only so many ways they can test you. This goes for all 3 sections. Review as many old tests and answers as you possibly can. It won't take long at all until you realize they're asking about the same stuff over and over. The key is to see how they mix it up a little bit because...there's only so many ways they can test you.

That's how I got through it. I passed because of days 1 and 3, not because of day 2 - I BOMBED the MBE and boy am I glad the MBE is only worth 40%. If I can pass with a bad MBE score, you absolutely can pass with your above average score - isn't the goal average around 135, something like that?

One more thing to note about the essays: get a copy of the breakdown of how many essays to expect. Barbri had a page in their TX essay writing workshop (p. 5-6), but I'm sure other companies have something similar and I'm sure the TBE site has one somewhere. I ripped this out of my book and had it with me all the time. For the topics that test 2 essays, study those twice as much as the topics that appear only 1x. If they ask about the DTPA, you know going in they're only going to ask 1 essay about it and most likely it's going to be about a consumer OR debt collection. If they ask about property, you know they're going to ask 2 essays and there's a solid chance 1 of them is going to be O/G and the other is likely about AP or conveyances, perhaps about M&M liens. For the UCC, the trend over the last several years was secured trans and commercial paper - I want to say there were less than 5 UCC contract questions asked in the past 10+ years of testing - flipping through old tests it seemed like every year they asked about secured trans in some form or fashion. By the way: the TBE "selected answers" on their website are nothing spectacular. This means that your essays need to look like those to get a solid amount of points. The "model answers" in the barbri essay book are not written in 30 min or less on the day of the bar; they're written by professional test writers who can take their time making sure every little thing is correct - so don't stress if yours don't look like those. Make them look like the ones the TBE selects.

I think you get the point here. When you go through enough old tests, you see not only the essay topics to expect but how they can ask them. So if you do enough of them, by game day you should be ready for just about everything. The same goes for day 1 stuff: do enough tests and you'll see how many ways they're asking you about stuff. It's going to suck repeating things over and over and it might give you a headache, but when you can rattle it off in no time you'll get those last few points.

Mental side note: don't beat yourself up if you get stuff wrong. Take your foot off the gas and relax from the first time you start studying until game day. It's strange the way it works, but when you develop a more stress-free ("care free") attitude, you perform better. Also, remove the outside pressure and stress about how family and friends may perceive you - f'ck all that noise. Turn it around and think about it this way: they care that much because they support you and want you to succeed. You'll get it done, you're right there. I'm sure there are lots of other people who would love to be in that spot, right on the edge.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to email you those Crim Pro & Civ Pro notes I compiled to give you an idea of what worked for me. Just PM me.

Again, THANK YOU!!!!! Your response could not have come at a better time. So, I received my grade breakdown today. . .and guess what? I failed by 10 FREAKING POINTS! 10! I scored a 665.

I was right there! So, close! I damn jumped up and screamed when I opened the letter by my mailbox. I scored a 137.87 on the Essays. 131.0 on the MBE. My MBE score dipped 8 points from my first attempt--although when I took it in July 2014, Fed Civ Pro Qs weren't on the MBE. Not to make any excuses, but I didn't really study for the Federal Civ Pro questions, other than going over the sample questions that were released. MAJOR MISTAKE! Of course, I'm assuming that was the dip in my MBE, and consequently, caused me to lose those extra points--which would have resulted in a PASS.

Also, 120.06 on the P/E and 134.17 on the MPT.

I am so stoked to take this exam, again! I know that sounds crazy, but I KNOW I HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PASS THIS EXAM. I'm going to study smarter not harder. Fine tune some areas. And, above all, remain humble and hungry. Finally, I will also implement your advice in my study plan. I'll PM you and provide you with my email address.

Again, thank you!

texasbarexaminee15

Postby texasbarexaminee15 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:53 pm

newguyintown wrote:
newguyintown wrote:

Again, THANK YOU!!!!! Your response could not have come at a better time.

So, I received my grade breakdown today. . . and guess what? I failed by 10 FREAKING POINTS! 10! I scored a 665.

I was right there! So, close! I damn jumped up and screamed when I opened the letter by my mailbox. I scored a 137.87 on the Essays. 131.0 on the MBE. My MBE score dipped 8 points from my first attempt--although when I took it in July 2014, Fed Civ Pro Qs weren't on the MBE. Not to make any excuses, but I didn't really study for the Federal Civ Pro questions, other than going over the sample questions that were released. MAJOR MISTAKE! Of course, I'm assuming that was the dip in my MBE, and consequently, caused me to lose those extra points--which would have resulted in a PASS.

Also, 120.06 on the P/E and 134.17 on the MPT.

I am so stoked to take this exam, again! I know that sounds crazy, but I KNOW I HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PASS THIS EXAM. I'm going to study smarter not harder. Fine tune some areas. And, above all, remain humble and hungry. Finally, I will also implement your advice in my study plan. I'll PM you and provide you with my email address.

Again, thank you!

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Anybody still not able yet to register with the State Bar? I'm still getting this message: "Sorry for the inconvenience, we are still updating your information in our system. Please check back tomorrow to register with the State Bar of Texas."

Neff

Postby Neff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 am

I was able to register and pay dues online an hour ago. Just need to take oath now.

Does your letter tell you what your essay score was? Mine only says MBE and final score. The other numbers might be in the efast website but I am having password issues and can't log in.

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:58 am

Neff wrote:I was able to register and pay dues online an hour ago. Just need to take oath now.

Does your letter tell you what your essay score was? Mine only says MBE and final score. The other numbers might be in the efast website but I am having password issues and can't log in.

I'm still unable to register. :-S

If you pass, you only get your mbe and total score.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:41 am

Neff wrote:I was able to register and pay dues online an hour ago. Just need to take oath now.

From BLE FAQ:
15. I passed the exam. Can I have a breakdown of my exam grades?

No. Board policy does not provide passing examinees with a breakdown of their grades. Passing examinees will receive their final “Combined Scaled Score” and their “Scaled MBE Score” with their result letters.

yosi

Postby yosi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:57 am

It really sucks to fail.

Enquirer

Postby Enquirer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm taking the Texas exam in February 2016. I've already passed New York so am not going to bother with a full bar review course this time - just planning to study from the books.

Are any of you Texas July passers looking to lawfully sell your materials? (Bearing in mind the TLS warning against sharing or distributing copies of copyrighted materials!)

DueProcessDoWheelies

Postby DueProcessDoWheelies » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 pm

So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

Essays- I got a 141 on the essays. I scored above the 50th percentile on 5/6 of the AM essays. Didn't do as well on the PM ones, except for O&G which I got in the 93rd %ile. Absolutely bombed the last UCC essay and the community property essay, somehow. I wasn't feeling great about those essays but I sure didn't feel terrible either. And I somehow scored way better on that weird M&M lien question for property, and I 100% guessed that entire answer. Not as worried about the essays in February because I consider that my strength.

MPT- 120. I have NO idea what happened here. None. I finished that thing with 5 minutes to spare and was thinking "nailed it!" when it was over. I thought I hit every point and articulated everything well. And I got a 120. The 3rd ****ing percentile! I have absolutely no idea how that happened. This was nothing like the MBE where I felt awful afterward. I wrote everything out in layman-friendly language, I cited the appropriate authorities and explained why they were relevant, I IRAC'd perfectly, and I came to a clear conclusion. I'm at a loss for words.

P/E- 130. Not sure what happened here either. In June I read something about how it's important to know this stuff down cold. So I did a practice test (almost) every day up until exam week. Again, I felt good. I found the Civil portion to be easy and only came across maybe 2 questions where I had to guess. Crim was harder. I got in the mid 30s %ile for Civ and 20th for Crim. I overprepared for this and even bought Barbri's supplemental program thing because I went to school out of state. Again, I felt good after day 1.

MBE- 125.9. 20th percentile. Ugh. What a miserable experience. The MBE was so laughably hard. Nothing felt correct. There were maybe 10-20 questions that were "easy." There were like 2 obscure questions I knew because of Barbri but I felt pretty unprepared for the rest of it, and I agonized over that stupid "pull the chair out from under him" question. I got 101 on the Barbri midterm and 50 on the refresher. But otherwise I was hitting 60-70% on the other sets and was feeling much more confident later on. I thought I would at least do well enough to pass. I finished with time to spare for both AM & PM. I don't remember a string of Ds but I do remember lots of D & B answers in the AM. What's funny is I maybe could have passed if my Day 1 went better. This destroyed my confidence because I just don't know how to prepare more for this. Every question was so tricky and all I did was narrow it down to 2 answers and then be forced to pick one because of time. I hate the MBE.

I've been reading that spreadsheet and noticed that for almost everyone who failed, they had some kind of reason (didn't start studying until July, married w/kids, full-time job, neglected X area of study big time)... but I have none of those reasons. I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|

Mactx

Postby Mactx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:56 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

Essays- I got a 141 on the essays. I scored above the 50th percentile on 5/6 of the AM essays. Didn't do as well on the PM ones, except for O&G which I got in the 93rd %ile. Absolutely bombed the last UCC essay and the community property essay, somehow. I wasn't feeling great about those essays but I sure didn't feel terrible either. And I somehow scored way better on that weird M&M lien question for property, and I 100% guessed that entire answer. Not as worried about the essays in February because I consider that my strength.

MPT- 120. I have NO idea what happened here. None. I finished that thing with 5 minutes to spare and was thinking "nailed it!" when it was over. I thought I hit every point and articulated everything well. And I got a 120. The 3rd ****ing percentile! I have absolutely no idea how that happened. This was nothing like the MBE where I felt awful afterward. I wrote everything out in layman-friendly language, I cited the appropriate authorities and explained why they were relevant, I IRAC'd perfectly, and I came to a clear conclusion. I'm at a loss for words.

P/E- 130. Not sure what happened here either. In June I read something about how it's important to know this stuff down cold. So I did a practice test (almost) every day up until exam week. Again, I felt good. I found the Civil portion to be easy and only came across maybe 2 questions where I had to guess. Crim was harder. I got in the mid 30s %ile for Civ and 20th for Crim. I overprepared for this and even bought Barbri's supplemental program thing because I went to school out of state. Again, I felt good after day 1.

MBE- 125.9. 20th percentile. Ugh. What a miserable experience. The MBE was so laughably hard. Nothing felt correct. There were maybe 10-20 questions that were "easy." There were like 2 obscure questions I knew because of Barbri but I felt pretty unprepared for the rest of it, and I agonized over that stupid "pull the chair out from under him" question. I got 101 on the Barbri midterm and 50 on the refresher. But otherwise I was hitting 60-70% on the other sets and was feeling much more confident later on. I thought I would at least do well enough to pass. I finished with time to spare for both AM & PM. I don't remember a string of Ds but I do remember lots of D & B answers in the AM. What's funny is I maybe could have passed if my Day 1 went better. This destroyed my confidence because I just don't know how to prepare more for this. Every question was so tricky and all I did was narrow it down to 2 answers and then be forced to pick one because of time. I hate the MBE.

I've been reading that spreadsheet and noticed that for almost everyone who failed, they had some kind of reason (didn't start studying until July, married w/kids, full-time job, neglected X area of study big time)... but I have none of those reasons. I studied like a mother****er all summer long. I did TONS of practice essays and P/E tests and probably did like 1600 or so MBE practice questions. I have no idea how I can prepare differently for Feb except maybe do way more MBE questions. I'm also working, so I won't have as much time. This should be so much fun :|

It sounds like you did a ton in preparation, but did you go over the answers to the essays, P&Es, and MBEs that you did? I feel like that was huge for me in making sure I knew not only the right answer, but also what the bar examiners were looking for in an answer.

DueProcessDoWheelies

Postby DueProcessDoWheelies » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Mactx wrote:
DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:So I failed. By 16 points. I'm not even upset, I'm really just angry and frustrated. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this and gave it my all on all 3 days. The MBE killed me but I have no idea what went wrong in the other areas.

It sounds like you did a ton in preparation, but did you go over the answers to the essays, P&Es, and MBEs that you did? I feel like that was huge for me in making sure I knew not only the right answer, but also what the bar examiners were looking for in an answer.

I'm waiting for them to post the answers on the website, then I definitely will

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:53 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:I'm waiting for them to post the answers on the website, then I definitely will

I think Mac meant go over your answers in studying.

But more generally, I'm sorry to hear it. I have close friends who failed their first take and while it was emotionally devastating they learned a lot that helped them to pass the next time; it seems like you're well on your way toward doing that.

As far as the Crim/Civ Pro, I suspect part of the problem is that it's a very narrow area of law that's ever tested, and studying for it wasn't that difficult, so there was probably a big crowd right around the median. If you do the past 10 years (20 exams) in practice, you will be surprised by maybe 1 or 2 questions on test day. It sounds like you probably did a lot of them, but maybe reviewing many of them right before the exam would be helpful as well.

I know how you feel about the MBE. I too thought it was laughably difficult and many had no right answer, and I ended up scoring well. I wish I could tell you how to study for that, but it seems like those of us who did well on it just read the minds of the NCBE a little better than those who didn't. It does seem from the spreadsheet that MBE seems to track performance on BARBRI's midterm and refresher, so maybe just drilling more MBE PQs is the answer (bearing in mind that BARBRI subject-specific sets 4 and 5, IIRC, will beat the crap out of you like they did everyone). You might also want to spring for the practice sets from NCBE that run $50/100PQ set.

I don't know what to tell you about the MPT. I have no idea how I did on it (I just know my performance on essays/procedure/MPT was on average 10 points lower than my performance on MBE), but your description of your MPT answer sounds a lot like mine, except I wrapped up right as they called time.

As far as your essays, it sounds from the M&M (where, let's face it, there was maybe 3-5% of test takers who actually knew the law; the rest of us were making it up) that you can write the essays clearly, especially when you don't have too much extra knowledge that you're trying to throw in. Keep 'em simple. Include only the BLL that's relevant and omit that which you're only including to show-off. (It doesn't sound like your essays need much work, but it also provides a place for small improvements that count toward 40% of the test and so shouldn't be ignored).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”