July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:57 pm

ladylawyer1221 wrote:Does anyone know the "safe amount" of P&E to get correct? I know it's all relative to the other portions of the test... but as long as we can get 15/20 correct, that's good -- right?


I have been getting around 15/20. I think hope that is more than enough.

TxBarTaker09
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Be sure to rest tonight, get something good to eat, and get plenty of sleep!

User avatar
unlicensedpotato
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Devlin wrote:
ladylawyer1221 wrote:Does anyone know the "safe amount" of P&E to get correct? I know it's all relative to the other portions of the test... but as long as we can get 15/20 correct, that's good -- right?


I have been getting around 15/20. I think hope that is more than enough.


I assume 15/20 will definitely be good enough. One caveat is that, based on their sample "answers" (which for criminal are a joke), it may be harder to get a 5 on a given question than I was expecting. They make it seem sometimes that you were supposed to provide information that wasn't directly asked, I guess because of the "explain fully" language.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:59 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Devlin wrote:
ladylawyer1221 wrote:Does anyone know the "safe amount" of P&E to get correct? I know it's all relative to the other portions of the test... but as long as we can get 15/20 correct, that's good -- right?


I have been getting around 15/20. I think hope that is more than enough.


I assume 15/20 will definitely be good enough. One caveat is that, based on their sample "answers" (which for criminal are a joke), it may be harder to get a 5 on a given question than I was expecting. They make it seem sometimes that you were supposed to provide information that wasn't directly asked, I guess because of the "explain fully" language.

I'm using the "explain fully" as a window to regurgitate everything I know about the rule/issue that goes beyond the specific question.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I still need to hardcore cram some civil procedure nuances.
Also I don't know if I'll be making the 2.25 minute per question time or if I'll be rushing at the end.

ladylawyer1221
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Devlin wrote:
ladylawyer1221 wrote:Does anyone know the "safe amount" of P&E to get correct? I know it's all relative to the other portions of the test... but as long as we can get 15/20 correct, that's good -- right?


I have been getting around 15/20. I think hope that is more than enough.


I assume 15/20 will definitely be good enough. One caveat is that, based on their sample "answers" (which for criminal are a joke), it may be harder to get a 5 on a given question than I was expecting. They make it seem sometimes that you were supposed to provide information that wasn't directly asked, I guess because of the "explain fully" language.


This is true, and that's what irritates me the most because I don't see how they expect us to write everything in those 5 lines. I'm jealous that February takers will be able to use their laptops for the P&E. Oh well. Just praying I won't have to join them in February :D

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:35 pm

ladylawyer1221 wrote:This is true, and that's what irritates me the most because I don't see how they expect us to write everything in those 5 lines. I'm jealous that February takers will be able to use their laptops for the P&E. Oh well. Just praying I won't have to join them in February :D


Yeah, BarBri got a little longwinded with their sample answers, but it made for good study material.

As far as typing, I was jealous about Feb, but I've been handwriting all my answers in bar prep (including essays) so I feel ready to write this for the exam, and it's nice to have a limit. I wonder if in Feb they'll word/character limit answers for typists. If they do, that will be such a time suck that it might benefit the non-typists.

ladylawyer1221
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm

BVest wrote:
As far as typing, I was jealous about Feb, but I've been handwriting all my answers in bar prep (including essays) so I feel ready to write this for the exam, and it's nice to have a limit. I wonder if in Feb they'll word/character limit answers for typists. If they do, that will be such a time suck that it might benefit the non-typists.


I was wondering the same thing. I imagine they will have some sort of word limit.... I went to a school that required a laptop starting in 5th grade so anything that requires me to write by hand is an automatic disadvantage lol. I feel bad for the grader who will have to read my P&E.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Just to be clear, I'm typing the rest of the exam... but all my handwriting this summer has prepared me well enough to write a 1.5 hour portion of the exam. And I do feel badly for whomever has to read these. Even folks who usually write well will likely not do so under the crunch of time and pressure.

And I almost had surgery on my dominant wrist this summer. I'd had a condition since last summer that I was told would go away on its own in six months or would require surgery. It cleared up on its own in month 11 when I was trying to gameplan the surgery schedule (Barbri vs June 30 new insurance deductible year vs. bar exam vs job in September).

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:00 pm

MPT: Not as bad as it could have been; fairly straightforward I thought. Glad I didn't spend too much time preparing for this section (only did the MPT class and the one in the half-day simulated).
Civil P&E: Felt confident on a lot of my answers here.
Criminal P&E: Had to guess and/or had no clue on more than I would have liked.

Are we allowed to talk about stuff at all? Obviously not questions but just feelings on stuff or is that not allowed either? If so, I'll delete this.

Also: I saw you all today. All of you. :twisted:

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:12 pm

jamescastle wrote:MPT: Not as bad as it could have been; fairly straightforward I thought. Glad I didn't spend too much time preparing for this section (only did the MPT class and the one in the half-day simulated).
Civil P&E: Felt confident on a lot of my answers here.
Criminal P&E: Had to guess and/or had no clue on more than I would have liked.

Are we allowed to talk about stuff at all? Obviously not questions but just feelings on stuff or is that not allowed either? If so, I'll delete this.

Also: I saw you all today. All of you. :twisted:


Felt the exact same way for each of the sections. I thought we really lucked out with the MPT (assuming we all take the same one? I'm unsure about that. I feel like Barbri's materials have said that multiple MPTs are used, but I can't remember.) Glad to have the MBE next and to just be so close to the finish line.
Last edited by Greenandgold on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Agree with above. Without getting in to specifics I thought there were two or so questions on the crim side that Barbri did not address in the lecture or workshop.

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Devlin wrote:Agree with above. Without getting in to specifics I thought there were two or so questions on the crim side that Barbri did not address in the lecture or workshop.


You did the workshop? What did you think? I ended up skipping it cause I didn't want to pay for it, but I'm curious if you thought it helped much now that we've sat for that portion of the exam.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm

On one I had no clue of I did get to use some humor by referencing timeouts in basketball. Then I corrected it and said football because "we're in Texas and football is #1." Hopefully I get a 5 on that one haha.
Don't want to say any more.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm

I felt pretty good about today. Though I had one answer that was like "The court did err by ..." followed by explanation, filling 4.5 of the 5 lines. I then decided I was wrong, crossed out everything after the first sentence, added "^ not" to the first sentence and put my reasoning on the last remaining bit of line 5.

TXLawHopeful15
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Devlin wrote:Agree with above. Without getting in to specifics I thought there were two or so questions on the crim side that Barbri did not address in the lecture or workshop.



Yeah I am pretty sure I missed my standard 5 per civil and Criminal....maybe more if they can't read my handwriting! It was cold in there!

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:58 pm

As soon as I walked in this morning, I was very glad to have worn long-sleeves.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby jamescastle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Just remembered to submit my exam. Y'all still got 30 minutes if you haven't already!

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
Devlin wrote:Agree with above. Without getting in to specifics I thought there were two or so questions on the crim side that Barbri did not address in the lecture or workshop.


You did the workshop? What did you think? I ended up skipping it cause I didn't want to pay for it, but I'm curious if you thought it helped much now that we've sat for that portion of the exam.

Yeah I definitely found it helpful.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm

BVest wrote:I felt pretty good about today. Though I had one answer that was like "The court did err by ..." followed by explanation, filling 4.5 of the 5 lines. I then decided I was wrong, crossed out everything after the first sentence, added "^ not" to the first sentence and put my reasoning on the last remaining bit of line 5.

Instead of saying "not" you should have said "JK". Probably would have gotten .1 of a point more.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Neff » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:52 pm

See, I've been telling you guys for weeks that this quiz was going to be easy peasy lemon squeezy. You got this.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Neff » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:53 pm

After this joke of a day one, if you just cop that median MBE, you'd have to not show up on Thursday to fail.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Devlin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:33 pm

If everyone feels that way then would it not be a push because of the curve? I guess it's a bad assumption to begin with that everyone feels decent after today.

BigBananaLaw
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BigBananaLaw » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:37 pm

I didn't feel great coming out of it. That said, I've taken and passed two other bar exams in the last 12 months, and I felt equally bad coming out of those. How do you shake the lingering fear that maybe somehow everything you wrote is entirely wrong? Also, fuck them for making it so cold. And fuck them for prohibiting cell phones and not providing some way for test takers to get a cab or uber after they let us out. Some of us are in hotels without rental cars.

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby dsb83 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I wouldn't assume that everyone feels great about today. I fucked up the MPT bad. Really thin analysis and left it unfinished. No sleep and such. A friend of mine told me a story of looking over at the girl next to her and seeing that she hadn't started writing 80 minutes into the MPT.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unidentifiable and 1 guest